News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adrian_Stiff

Re: What course maintenance features do you dislike the most?
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2014, 10:13:25 AM »
Exceptionally rare to use gang mowers on fairways these days and their non use is the biggest reason why fairways are much narrower these days in the UK.

I am hopefully going to use a set of 9 Kesmacs and a 50hp tractor for our latest baby and we are certainly designing it that way.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

MClutterbuck

« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2014, 10:24:05 AM »
Are gang mowers pulled by tractors used much these days?

I'm struggling to think of the last time I observed one in use.

atb

You see many in use in other countries such as Latin America, where a top brand fairway mower will set you back US$80,000 or more due to import taxes. Tractors are manufactured locally and/or can be imported without taxes, and the pull mowers are all manufactured and easily maintained in country and do not age much. Summer dry conditions, no irrigation on fairways and regular bermuda allow for this inexpensive maintenance.

Ryan Coles

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2014, 06:32:34 AM »
Tees mown/shaped circular rather than square.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 11:35:06 AM by Ryan Coles »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2014, 11:04:25 AM »
Exceptionally rare to use gang mowers on fairways these days and their non use is the biggest reason why fairways are much narrower these days in the UK.

I am hopefully going to use a set of 9 Kesmacs and a 50hp tractor for our latest baby and we are certainly designing it that way.

Well done :D

Marc Haring

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2014, 06:50:47 AM »

Way to go Adrian.

As you might be aware, I introduced the Kesmacs to Cumberwell many years ago. It was the only way we could have the fairways that we do on the orange. The savings in terms of manpower, depreciation (gangs and tractors go for 20 years easy) and servicing was £15K to £20K a year at CP. One man could easily cut 9 holes of fairways in 2 hours which meant you could slot in the golf and cut at the same pace as play.

BHoover

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2014, 10:48:51 AM »
I dislike seeing green pads that have long been abandoned in favor of boring oval greens and long rough in places that used to be corners and edges of original greens.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2014, 01:08:44 PM »
I dislike seeing green pads that have long been abandoned in favor of boring oval greens and long rough in places that used to be corners and edges of original greens.

This is down to triplexes more often than many people think. It has always surprised me too Brian and is sad how many really fantastic pin positions have been lost due to this.

Jon

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2014, 02:27:06 PM »
French drains. My God, French drains. Also, too-narrow fairways.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back