News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Wright

Re: The Best
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2014, 04:55:36 PM »
Ed,

I am so very sorry for your loss. It has been many years since we played here in Denver but the GolfClubAtlas ties are ties that bind. And that is important for all things happy, sad and tragic. Take care Ed, and know that I and we are here for you.   
Twitter: @Deneuchre

mark chalfant

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2014, 07:08:42 PM »
Ed,

Its  great to see your post. I m so glad you ventured out to the Dixie Cup and found it comforting. David was a special young man  I remain deeply sorry for your loss. 

But  please remember that David was fortunate to have such great parents like you and Kathy !  I hope you come up  north soon.

Mark

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2014, 07:31:24 PM »
Ed,

I am deeply sorry to hear of your loss. If you ever find yourself in the Twin Cities please drop me a note and we'll go grab a beer and get in a round of golf.

Ed, count me in if you are in a position to take Pat up on his offer. I'm so sorry to learn of your loss, and deeply moved by the solace you were able to find from some of the great people who come together because of this site.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Pat Burke

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2014, 08:00:09 PM »
Ed,
We have never met, but your post struck me solidly.
I in no way will compare losing my dad to losing a child.  When I lost my dad
in '95 I lost a constant reminder of family involvement on golf courses.  He was a PGA professional
and was always involved in my golf, as well as coaching me in hockey. 
Early on, those moments an memories would would hurt or cause sadness.
As time has passed, those moments, in particular involving golf, tend to create smiles or even chuckles.
Even those moments are rueful, but incredibly warm and important.  My family prays that your moments turn to
warm comforting memories in the future, for now we send all the strength we can to your family.  Take time in those
golf course moments.
Pat

Tim Bert

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2014, 08:07:12 PM »
Ed - I, like so many others, have been touched by your generosity to friends and complete strangers alike.  Of course, with your spirit and passion strangers are converted to friends instantly upon meeting you.  I am saddened to learn of your loss.  Your entire family will be in my thoughts and prayers. 

Tim

Philip Gawith

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2014, 05:14:47 PM »
Ed, i am so sorry to hear about your son. Please accept my condolences. It is some comfort that the GCA community and the joy of golf have been able to offer solace in your hour of need. You know that the goodwill extends over to this side of the pond. I hope you can join us before long.

Philip

Jason Topp

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2014, 09:52:30 PM »
The extraordinary gift I received came in the form of Mike Hendren who drove down 5 hours to the Dixie Cup just to give me a hug in my time of sorrow. One phrase that sticks in my memory from my reading of grief books is "The heart that speaks is heard more than the words spoken". 

If I were to guess the person who made that trip, Mike might have been my guess.  Although there are many others who might do the same thing. 

I can't imagine your loss Ed and I wish you the best in learning how to deal with your loss.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2014, 10:13:07 PM »
Ed,
As others have said, I'm so sorry for the loss of your son. I thought losing my father this year was difficult, but there is really no comparison with that and losing a child. I still recall how you so generously reached out to me when I was a newbie poster on GCA and I enjoyed meeting your family during your days in CA.

I don't believe there are words of comfort for situations like this, but I hope your Dixie Cup experience and these posts remind you that you are never alone. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

ed_getka

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2014, 09:36:53 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, thoughts and prayers. I just returned from a trip up to Minnesota to visit my son at his college and attend a play they were putting on. The long drive gave me lots of time to think and reflect. It takes a couple of years to process the grief of losing a child according to the books I have read. The long weekend down in Georgia makes me hopeful for the future that I can reengage with life at some point. For any of you who know someone who has lost a child the one sentence that best sums up what those parents are experiencing is "Sorrow is the sea not the islands". Even if they appear to be doing fine and seem normal they are in agonizing pain. Never hesitate to reach out to them even if it is just to say I'm thinking about you or to give them a hug. It will mean the world to them. Don't ever concern yourself with finding the right words, there are none. "The heart that speaks is heard more than the words spoken".
   Thanks again for all the support and thanks again to Bogey and the Dixie Cuppers for helping to heal a piece of my heart.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

David Davis

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2014, 04:26:58 AM »
Dear Ed,

We've not yet met and played together. I just read your post and as a father of two daughters of 16 and 13 can't even start to relate. My youngest underwent some really scary testing recently involving a brain scan and a DAT scan and even that and waiting for the results was more than I care to ever endure and that with clean results. I found myself thinking if something is going to be wrong with somebody in the family let it be me rather than her. I guess that's likely a parent's normal reaction.

I'll pray that golf can play a role in helping you through this time and in cherishing the wonderful memories you have had with the two of you together on the links.

I wish you and your family immense strength in your mourning process. I'd also like to share my favorite poem from Kahlil Gibran about children with you, perhaps you know it. I realize it may have different meaning to different people but do hope it's appropriate:

On Children

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back