News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ed_getka

The Best
« on: October 13, 2014, 09:59:41 PM »
Many of us are well aware of what a great group of people the Treehouse is. I am not one to usually make a fuss but I simply must acknowledge the extraordinary gift I received this weekend. I lost my 15 year old son to leukemia on July 1. I have been lost in a wilderness of grief since then, but have begun to get my bearings a little with a lot of reading and the guidance of AG Crockett. I wasn't sure I could even golf again because that was something I shared with my son. I went out to the local course I golfed at with my son and shed gallons of tears, but found that being alone on a golf course is a good place to process thoughts and feelings. With the encouragement of AG I then decided to start golfing a little to get ready for the Dixie Cup so I could see my GCA friends. I knew seeing the guys would be helpful to me. I didn't expect to care about the golf matches, but found over the course of the Dixie Cup this weekend that I did care and that makes me hopeful for the future. The extraordinary gift I received came in the form of Mike Hendren who drove down 5 hours to the Dixie Cup just to give me a hug in my time of sorrow. One phrase that sticks in my memory from my reading of grief books is "The heart that speaks is heard more than the words spoken".  Never was that more perfectly illustrated than by Mike this weekend.
  I also want to thank Lou Duran again for putting me in touch with AG, and to thank Evan Fleisher, Mike Young, and Lou for surrounding me with care in my time of need.

"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

ward peyronnin

Re: The Best
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 10:07:46 PM »
Ed

I can't imagine what you have gone through. I was so glad to see you bein in the thick of things this weekend and pulling off an heroic performance.

You were the champion this weekend my friend

Best Regards
Wardo
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Sam Morrow

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 10:13:49 PM »
Ed,

I didn't know this, it was a pleasure meeting you this weekend and that we got time to chat on the practice green yesterday. I know your son was smiling at that shot you hit on 11.

Tim Martin

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 10:33:20 PM »
Ed-Please accept my most sincere condolences on the loss of your son. I am still in awe of your gracious and generous offering of the Masters ticket this year and the wonderful conversation we had as a result. There really are some great guys on this board with big hearts and I am thrilled to hear of your participation in what sounds to have been a fantastic event. I was lucky enough to have spent a special day with Mike Hendren not long ago and I would expect nothing less than you describe. The game of golf gives many gifts and the most valuable have nothing to do with getting the ball in the hole. Hoping the very best for you and your family as you move forward.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 10:50:50 PM by Tim Martin »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 10:46:45 PM »
There are a bunch of very special friends on GolfClubAtlas.  Ed, I am so glad you came and Bogey too. 

JC Jones

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 11:11:23 PM »
Ed,

I remember fondly the round several years ago with you, your son and Mr. Halboth at Crystal Downs.  For some reason I can remember his tee shot on #11 and also hear Mr. Halboth grumble about his cart driving skills.  You were very generous to invite me along that day and you have continually been generous to many on GCA.com and I'm sure elsewhere. 

I am deeply sorry to hear of your loss and I want to extend my condolences to you.  I truly hope that through time spent with the game or elsewhere you are able to find some peace and comfort in this most trying time.

Jason
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Gene Greco

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 11:14:16 PM »
Ed

My deepest condolences.
Encouraging to hear you are gaining the strength to carry on.
Please reach out if I can be of help.

Gene
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 11:17:18 PM »
Ed,

I am deeply saddened to hear about the loss of your son, and wish you and your family nothing but the very best in the future.  I am glad that you've been able to find some peace and comfort from this great game and from some of the many kind individuals on GCA.

Best regards,
Tyler  

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 12:37:07 AM »
Dear Ed

No words can express my sorrow at this moment in time. I will add that your son had a father that was quite possibly the kindest and most generous man alive.

I have your letter on R&A stationery written to Herbert Warren Wind relating your elation of playing the Old Course. I wish I had been there.

Best wishes to you and your dear wife.

Bob

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 01:53:18 AM »
Dear Ed,

I am so sorry to hear about your loss.   I remember meeting your son at the 2007 US Amateur (I was marshaling a hole, and you and he came out to say hello)....he was a nice young man and he looked like he was enjoying himself.

I can't imagine what you've gone through....I am sorry that I had no idea.

You wrote a wonderful letter to me nearly 10 years ago on the loss of my father.  I wish I could convey as well the words of comfort and support you gave me then.

All the best to you and yours.

Kevin
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Jim Nugent

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 04:34:04 AM »
Ed, you have my deepest condolences.  Losing a child is the most unthinkable tragedy I can imagine.  Though you and I have never met, my thoughts will be with you and your family. 

PS: I always look forward to your posts, as I think you are one of the real thoughtful, insightful people on the DG here. 

Martin Toal

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 05:53:25 AM »
Ed

So sorry to hear about your terrible loss. I am sure he would want you to enjoy golf and to think of him when you play at the course you used to play at together.

Maybe the club would let you dedicate a bench in his memory and put a plaque on it? Then he would always be waiting for you when you play and you could sit down for a moment together.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 08:29:55 AM »
Ed,

Sympathy is too small a word. Thanks for sharing and it's nice to see that comfort has come your way through gca.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 08:44:43 AM »
Ed, good for you for reaching out to people and being responsive to their acts of friendship and comfort.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 09:06:24 AM »
Ed
So very sorry to hear of your loss, as mentioned above the spirit amongst those on this site can be a solace at times of loss, I share everybody elses condolonces for you and your family.
Golf on my friend!!!

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 09:21:50 AM »
Ed,

This is very sad news, both Janice and I offer our deepest condolences to you and your wife. I am happy that you have used golf and gca to help in your time of grief. I have found both to be powerful experiences that truly touch the soul.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

PCCraig

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 09:56:26 AM »
Ed,

I am deeply sorry to hear of your loss. If you ever find yourself in the Twin Cities please drop me a note and we'll go grab a beer and get in a round of golf.
H.P.S.

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 10:01:17 AM »
Ed & family

My heart goes out to you and your family. I lost my second child, Pete JR. many years ago to respiratory failure. The day that I laid him to rest was the toughest day of my life. It's a pain that never goes away. Let your family and friends always be your guide in dealing with your tragedy.

God bless you, Ed. Hang in there. All the best to you and yours.
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2014, 10:33:25 AM »
Ed,

Very sorry to hear of your loss as well.  My thoughts go out to you and your family.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Rob Marshall

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2014, 11:14:31 AM »
Ed,
I'm also very sorry to hear of your loss. I can't imagine the pain that you and your family are suffering. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2014, 11:30:02 AM »
Ed –
So, so sorry to hear this news.  No words can express my sorrow for your loss.

I’ll never forget the day in the UCSF NICU, when you were caring for my newborn twins, that I realized you were the same “Ed Getka” from GCA.com.  It’s amazing how small the world can be sometimes, and it’s heartwarming to hear the stories you’ve shared of the brotherhood within this group.

Best wishes to you and your family!

Wayne

Lou_Duran

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2014, 11:53:59 AM »
I will add that your son had a father that was quite possibly the kindest and most generous man alive.

So true.  And I am sure the apple didn't fall far from the tree.  David too had a great weekend in heaven, seeing his father surrounded in fellowship on two wonderful courses.

Ed, thanks for coming.  I know it was difficult.  You received over the last few days but a little of what you have been sharing with us for so many years.  You have many friends happy to lend a hand.  Please reach out whenever.  

RJ_Daley

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2014, 12:32:17 PM »
Ed,  I also am shocked and sad to now first hear of the passing of your son.  Thank goodness for this kind community of caring souls, all wanting to offer comfort to you in the wake of your family loss.  I'm so proud to have a connection to you and grateful to the fine souls within this community who have expressed our collective condolences and heartfelt wisdom drawn from our own experiences and traditions.  Connection and heartfelt support is the greatest gift we can offer each other.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2014, 01:38:29 PM »
Ed,
So sorry to hear about your son.  I knew you hadn't posted much for a long time, but just assumed you had gotten busy with other things.  I'm glad that the Dixie Cup experience was good for you and helped in some way.  I can assure you that you've already done more for people in the GCA group than we will be able to repay.

Hope our paths cross again soon.  Way too long since Lookout.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 01:41:42 PM »
Ed,
So very sorry to hear of your loss. Grab all those good golf memories!
Please come visit whenever you are able.
Very best,
Martin.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back