News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dunlop_White

Re: Roaring Gap Restoration - WOW!
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2014, 02:02:54 PM »
Thanks Ward! Our old single-row irrigation didn't reach most of the old fescue-faced bunkers on the course. As a result, they struggled.The restored bunkers look and perform so much better now with a bluegrass/fescue blend on the shoulders along with dedicated irrigation. Lots of varying looks can now be achieved with the ability to control water in this new turf.

http://www.dunlopwhite.com/www.dunlopwhite.com/Roaring_Gap_files/RoaringGap_Restoration_Slideshow2.compressed.pdf
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 10:05:57 AM by Dunlop_White »

Will Spivey

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2014, 10:38:28 PM »
Roaring Gap is a great course and club, and a must see for GCA aficionados, and Ross fans in particular.  My favorite way to describe the course is "sporty." 

The restoration work there is very impressive.  Something that particularly impressed me is this:  many/most restorations tend to look new.  I can think of some Ross restorations in the central NC area that fit this mold.  However, at Roaring Gap the restoration, and the greens in particular, look like they've been there since the beginning.  Not sure how this was done, or if I'm seeing things, but it is fantastic.

Dunlop_White

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2014, 10:03:45 AM »

The restoration work there is very impressive.  Something that particularly impressed me is this: many/most restorations tend to look new. I can think of some Ross restorations in the central NC area that fit this mold.  However, at Roaring Gap the restoration, and the greens in particular, look like they've been there since the beginning.  Not sure how this was done, or if I'm seeing things, but it is fantastic.

That was our challenge at Roaring Gap. We didn't want to walk away from our Ross restoration feeling that it looked brand new? While we set out to reclaim the size, shapes, and dimensions of our Ross greens, we also wanted to retain the look, feel, and texture of our age-old putting surfaces, which had evolved naturally through the decades -- and had given our greens an old-fashioned, seasoned appearance -- a "look" that could best be created through time.

So, it was our preference to preserve these native turf mutations on our putting surfaces that had naturally evolved. Our green compositions consisted of a native blend of approximately 80% Poa and 20% Bent (and all the different hues, blends, and mutations within).  We elected not to use one of the clean, new pure hybrid mono-stands of turf that had not "mottled" yet -- meaning that it would appear too sanitary and unblemished without any sense of yore. So Architect Kris Spence and Superintendent Erik Guinther agreed to "recycle" the native Poa turf blend rather than fight Poa on a new type of bent-dominant surface.

As a result, we stripped our current green surfaces and stockpiled the sod to the side for re-use after green re-construction. Because the new green perimeters were expanded 35% (or more in some cases) to their original footprints, and lowered 12" just above the surrounding grade, additional sod would be required.  Guinther made certain of its availability by developing a 20,000 square foot green nursery, which he harvested from aerification plugs the preceding season. Because the nursery germinated from their native poa dominant green compositions that had evolved over 85 years, the turf supplementations during green expansion resembled that used on the rest of the course.

But to prevent the "new" germinated sod from visually clashing with the old native sod on the expanded perimeters, we decided to use the following strategy: The additional sod needed for green expansion on Hole 1 would be borrowed from the green sod cut from Hole 2. The additional sod needed for green expansion on hole 2 would be borrowed from the green sod cut from hole 3…. and so on. We kept borrowing from the greens ahead all the way down the line, until eventually, there wouldn't be anything left to borrow. At that point, the sod needed to cover the greens at Holes 7, 8 and 9 would be taken straight from the 20,000 sf green nursery. The rationale being that we didn't want to segregate a green with sods of different maturities, since it may be readily apparent to distinguish "old" native turf from "new" nursery turf, (even if it was germinated from the same core compositions), especially when placed right next to each other on the very same green. In the end, the "old" turf and the "newly germinated" nursery turf proved to be indistinguishable on separate greens. (We executed this process 9-holes at a time over two years.)

Today — not only have our original Donald Ross green forms been recaptured, but importantly, the old original putting surfaces have been preserved in the process, so in theory, they look authentic, or at the very least, unique and special. I documented the process on Hole 1 as shown below:

« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 05:35:40 PM by Dunlop_White »

Dunlop_White

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2014, 10:00:35 AM »

Will Spivey

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2014, 05:04:28 PM »
Dunlop,

Wow!  What unbelievable attention to detail!  Do you, or do any fellow loungers, know of any other restoration that went to any such great lengths to rediscover (?) their original design.  The process RG went through sounds painstaking -- I'd love to know how the idea was initially hatched, and then sold to the board.

Anyone have any other stories that can rival this for authenticity?

Michael Marzec

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2014, 06:37:49 PM »
Tom,

You're welcome to visit Roaring Gap any time. It's just an hour away from Old Town…. two reasons to come back! No groveling is necessary.

http://www.dunlopwhite.com/www.dunlopwhite.com/Roaring_Gap_files/RoaringGap_Restoration_Slideshow2.compressed.pdf

Dunlop -

Spectacular. Thanks for sharing. And nicely done!

MGM
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. And furthermore, always carry a small snake." - W.C. Fields

jeffwarne

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2014, 07:00:14 PM »

The restoration work there is very impressive.  Something that particularly impressed me is this: many/most restorations tend to look new. I can think of some Ross restorations in the central NC area that fit this mold.  However, at Roaring Gap the restoration, and the greens in particular, look like they've been there since the beginning.  Not sure how this was done, or if I'm seeing things, but it is fantastic.

That was our challenge at Roaring Gap. We didn't want to walk away from our Ross restoration feeling that it looked brand new? While we set out to reclaim the size, shapes, and dimensions of our Ross greens, we also wanted to retain the look, feel, and texture of our age-old putting surfaces, which had evolved naturally through the decades -- and had given our greens an old-fashioned, seasoned appearance -- a "look" that could best be created through time.

So, it was our preference to preserve these native turf mutations on our putting surfaces that had naturally evolved. Our green compositions consisted of a native blend of approximately 80% Poa and 20% Bent (and all the different hues, blends, and mutations within).  We elected not to use one of the clean, new pure hybrid mono-stands of turf that had not "mottled" yet -- meaning that it would appear too sanitary and unblemished without any sense of yore. So Architect Kris Spence and Superintendent Erik Guinther agreed to "recycle" the native Poa turf blend rather than fight Poa on a new type of bent-dominant surface.

As a result, we stripped our current green surfaces and stockpiled the sod to the side for re-use after green re-construction. Because the new green perimeters were expanded 35% (or more in some cases) to their original footprints, and lowered 12" just above the surrounding grade, additional sod would be required.  Guinther made certain of its availability by developing a 20,000 square foot green nursery, which he harvested from aerification plugs the preceding season. Because the nursery germinated from their native poa dominant green compositions that had evolved over 85 years, the turf supplementations during green expansion resembled that used on the rest of the course.

But to prevent the "new" germinated sod from visually clashing with the old native sod on the expanded perimeters, we decided to use the following strategy: The additional sod needed for green expansion on Hole 1 would be borrowed from the green sod cut from Hole 2. The additional sod needed for green expansion on hole 2 would be borrowed from the green sod cut from hole 3…. and so on. We kept borrowing from the greens ahead all the way down the line, until eventually, there wouldn't be anything left to borrow. At that point, the sod needed to cover the greens at Holes 7, 8 and 9 would be taken straight from the 20,000 sf green nursery. The rationale being that we didn't want to segregate a green with sods of different maturities, since it may be readily apparent to distinguish "old" native turf from "new" nursery turf, (even if it was germinated from the same core compositions), especially when placed right next to each other on the very same green. In the end, the "old" turf and the "newly germinated" nursery turf proved to be indistinguishable on separate greens. (We executed this process 9-holes at a time over two years.)

Today — not only have our original Donald Ross green forms been recaptured, but importantly, the old original putting surfaces have been preserved in the process, so in theory, they look authentic, or at the very least, unique and special. I documented the process on Hole 1 as shown below:

That might just be the most interesting post this cynical GCAer has ever read-and reread.
Well done and thanks for sharing.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Dunlop_White

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2014, 02:04:47 PM »
Thanks to Will Spivey and Jeff Warne for noticing how meticulous this process was, and the results were truly magnificent. I never dreamed the greens would be this good. It's hard to visualize greens in pics, but I will try to share more. You actually need to see and experience them first-hand to understand.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 03:34:30 PM by Dunlop_White »

Dunlop_White

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2014, 03:50:43 PM »

Hole 6: short 137-yard Par 3 with a volcano shaped green.

Afternoon shot of Holes 15 and 16: Joint fairways have recently been restored.

Morning shot of Holes 15 and 16: Joint fairways restored.

Hole 17 with 50 mile views: The undulating knobby horizon line to the green once again matches the foothills in the backdrop.

Sunrise of Hole 17

More to follow….
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 04:15:47 PM by Dunlop_White »

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2014, 03:54:43 PM »
Looks great - will definitely have to get out there when it warms up.

Jason Way

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2014, 11:30:15 PM »
Thanks for getting this started Jason, and for all of the photos and info Dunlop.  Gorgeous.

I am fascinated by the before, during, and after photos of the green restorations.  Reading your descriptions of the work on 15 and 17 makes me wonder: How do the original shapes get lost in the first place?  (perhaps this is a question for Tom and the other architects amongst us).  Is it carelessness over time?  Misguided greens committees?  A little of both?

Every time I see photos like this, it just seems so obvious that the restorations are a massive upgrade in both interest and aesthetics, and I am always a little surprised that the greens were allowed to get to the point where they need such significant work.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 12:14:39 AM by Jason Way »
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2014, 03:30:48 PM »
RG is truly wonderful and I try every year to go up and see Mr. Glenn.  Is there anything better than a private, quiet Donald Ross gem tucked away in the middle of nowhere?  Carolina, Mimosa Hills, Roaring Gap and Camden come to mind.  The memberships are friendly and proud to show off their golf course.  The staffs are always accommodating and happy to have visitors.  Usually, if you manage to play on a weekday, the courses are empty and you really get to take it all in.  Special places... Roaring Gap belongs at the top of the list.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2014, 11:48:24 PM »
Roger--

I know "Smiling Bill"'s smile was even wider when they finished with the Roaring Gap restoration.   It turned out fabulously well and the greens turned out simply outstanding with lots of interesting movement throughout.  The Gap is one of those really fun courses where Donald Ross allowed the land to speak for itself and golf courses flows perfectly with the ground... and given the location, the course is VERY walkable.  The 6th, 11, and 12th are my personal favorites although the view on 17 green is stunning.  The amazing thing about 17 is that they were able to maintain the quirky nature of the green in the restoration.  Not sure if I'd want to have to make 3 on the finisher for my supper very often, it's a really tough finish.  Mega kudos to Dunlop for two fabulous restoration jobs at OTC and RGC. 

Dunlop_White

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2015, 11:01:30 AM »
At the recent Donald Ross Society Fall Outing, Head Golf Professional Bill Glenn was in true "smiling" form as he greeted 40+ members of the Ross Society -- most visiting for the first time -- to see the golf course transformation. One of the participants was Palmer Maples, Jr., son of Pinehurst's Palmer Maples, Sr., who was Leonard Tuft's first Head Professional at Roaring Gap Club at it's inception.

Here is a "Photo Journal" of the iconic day. From all indications, Captain Mike Fay, the DRS Board and the participants were impressed with the character and detail of this decade-long restorative effort, culminating in this season-ending celebration. Enjoy!

Photo Journal

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-HZTWcL

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 05:12:22 PM by Dunlop_White »

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2015, 05:06:25 PM »
Dunlop - absolutely great - you should be very proud.  How much longer are the leaves going to be in full color? 

Dunlop_White

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2015, 11:32:38 PM »

Roaring Gap is closed for the season, but will re-open in May 2016. Meanwhile, I will be happy to post Ran Morrissett's course profile. He does great job with these.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 06:32:29 AM by Dunlop_White »

Dunlop_White

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2015, 11:45:12 PM »
Besides the "Photo Journal" from the recent Donald Ross Society Event,

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-HZTWcL

Ran Morrissett introduces his Roaring Gap Course Profile below…..

Posting an updated profile on the 6,455 yard Roaring Gap the same week that the PGA Championship is being held on the 7,501 yard Whistling Straits puts the old brain in motion.  Both are eighteen hole golf courses but one measures 1,000+ yards longer and has 20 times (!!) more bunkers. There is no doubt which is the ‘harder championship test’,  but which is better? That’s where divergence occurs!  I know where I would rather play, particularly on a frequent basis, and it is Donald Ross’s recently restored mountain gem. In fact, it is the kind of course that you want to play all the time. Honestly, what else matters?! Am I alone in thinking that most golf course rankings - tragically - fail to take this crucial factor into account?   Be it in the fall or summer as when this photo was taken, Roaring Gap is always delightful.    How or why a course is better is an unending topic, one that this web site and Discussion Group frequently explore. Personally, courses that are fun, provoke thought, are in a pretty setting and can be walked in under three hours score high.  A ~ million courses around London, Reddish Vale, Country Club of Fairfield, etc. fall in that bucket. The more I see, the more I realize one thing: The better the targets (i.e. the greens), the better the golf. Surely, that is unassailable logic, even in this Discussion Group?  ;)      To that end, one of my all-time favorite set of targets is now Roaring Gap’s. No great surprise that Ross is the architect, BUT I never would have guessed I would be saying so after a 2001 tour there. Back then, the greens were a 1/3 smaller, oval and featureless. No more! Led by green committee member Dunlop White and architect Kris Spence, the course, and especially its green complexes, has been transformed over the past twelve years into something very special. Even when measured against all the other high quality restoration work that has taken place around the world in the past decade, this one stands out. A June email from Lynn Shackelford said as much. He had just completed a Carolina mountain tour, but his raves on Roaring Gap didn’t remind me of what I had seen so long ago. So brother Bill, Dunlop and I rendezvoused there. Unfortunately, Bill and Dunlop both currently enjoy fine form  :-[  , so it was enthralling to see how the green complexes at Roaring Gap retarded low scoring from either scratch player.     A interior view out across the Home green.    Sean Arble heads there later this month – I can’t wait to read his take, especially as Roaring Gap is wonderfully British in its low key approach to the game. Meanwhile, it is always a pleasure to check in with Dunlop, see what superlative work looks like, and appreciate that courses need not exceed 6,500 yards to be deemed ‘great’, no matter what course rankings and television say.    Hope you enjoy this updated course profile found under Courses by Country, Architecture Timeline, and the link below.   Best,
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 06:53:32 AM by Dunlop_White »

Dunlop_White

« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 06:30:51 AM by Dunlop_White »

Dunlop_White

« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 06:38:36 AM by Dunlop_White »

David Davis

« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2015, 06:58:00 AM »
As already stated, great stuff Dunlop. Really something to be very proud of.

Here are a couple of my photos from my visit on a beautiful fall day a few weeks ago.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 07:01:22 AM by David Davis »
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Tim Martin

« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2015, 07:01:39 AM »
The golf course looks exceptional and it seems that whatever Dunlop gets involved in turns into a winner. I can't wait to see the golf course next year. As an aside and to add  to a list of Ross Volcano holes I think Shennecossett #4 has to be in the conversation. Affectionately known as the "Anthill".

« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 07:11:32 AM by Tim Martin »

David Davis

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2015, 07:07:58 AM »

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Dunlop_White

« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2015, 11:52:22 AM »
The golf course looks exceptional and it seems that whatever Dunlop gets involved in turns into a winner. I can't wait to see the golf course next year. As an aside and to add  to a list of Ross Volcano holes I think Shennecossett #4 has to be in the conversation. Affectionately known as the "Anthill".

Hole 8 at Misquamicut also. I still think the "Battleship" at Bald Peak Colony and "Do-Drop" at Roaring Gap are the coolest I've seen. Is the "Anthill" a par 3 like all the rest?

Tim Martin

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2015, 07:02:56 AM »

Hole 8 at Misquamicut also. I still think the "Battleship" at Bald Peak Colony and "Do-Drop" at Roaring Gap are the coolest I've seen. Is the "Anthill" a par 3 like all the rest?

Dunlop-The "Anthill" is a par 3 of 208 all the way back and 180 from the member tees. As far as Misquamicut 8 it is certainly another great "Volcano" hole and one of my favorite Ross courses. He was blessed with an incredible piece of land at Misquamicut with the outward 9 playing over some very rumpled ground with an amazing amount of land movement and the inward 9(11-17) playing out along the water with totally different topography. It is an absolute joy to play.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back