News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Golspie GC Floods AGAIN!
« on: October 08, 2014, 02:08:59 PM »
Very sad to report that predictions of a high tide surge in October have come true and parts of Golspie GC and the town itself are under water.

http://www.northern-times.co.uk/News/As-Golspie-recovers-from-one-sea-surge-it-prepares-for-more--08102014.htm

There are more pictures of the flooding on the club's Facebook page.

The worst part of this is that the one hole most vulnerable to flooding is the 5th hole, a short, par-4 that is one of the most interesting and unique holes of the course.  

Jim Eder

Re: Golspie GC Floods AGAIN!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 02:19:57 PM »
David,

This is just horrible news. I love Golspie and it was in such terrific shape the last time I visited. And the people there are so nice and welcoming. They have a great membership as well. I'll be wishing for better luck for all my friends at Golspie.

Ryan Coles

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 03:17:17 PM »
Another club that won't play firm and fast due to irrigation.....

Joking aside, very sorry to read this. One of the friendliest clubs I've visited.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 04:53:24 PM »
Oh no, what a shame, very sorry to hear this, such a lovely course and place. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
atb

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 05:42:57 PM »
David,

That is truly horrible to hear.  What is the extent of the damage there? 

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 04:08:40 AM »
Sad to see but I am sure the course will recover pretty quickly as the Greenkeepers seem to be experts at this sort of thing.

Jon

Emil Weber

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 06:26:50 PM »
Very sad to hear... I still can't believe how 2 1/2 greenkeepers can keep the course in that shape - let alone repair the damages!

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 11:02:06 PM »
"Very sad to hear... I still can't believe how 2 1/2 greenkeepers can keep the course in that shape - let alone repair the damages!"

Emil -

Fortunately, the club's members and even people from the village who do not play golf have been very generous with their time in helping the greenkeepers cleanup the debris from these high tide surges. In December of 2012, when the course suffered the worst damage, the club also received much help from the greenkeeping staffs of a number of other golf clubs in the area.

It is a shame that this seems to becoming an annual event.

DT
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 11:18:29 PM by David_Tepper »

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 01:13:53 AM »
[It is a shame that this seems to becoming an annual event.

David
Stonehaven is also asking the same question after another battering this week.

But looking back in time, a "sou-easter" in October used to be an annual event.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 01:58:52 AM »
[It is a shame that this seems to becoming an annual event.

David
Stonehaven is also asking the same question after another battering this week.

But looking back in time, a "sou-easter" in October used to be an annual event.

Without wishng to provoke an old argument, if sea level is higher today then wind and tide will be more destructive than previously.

As previously stated I do not comment on what the cuase this of this might be,  but clubs need to consider the evidence concerning sea levels and work out what the implications of that are.
Let's make GCA grate again!

David_Tepper

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 09:26:52 AM »
"Golspie left to count cost as storms cause heartbreak"

A more detailed story in the Northern Times:

http://www.northern-times.co.uk/News/Golspie-left-to-count-cost-as-storms-cause-heartbreak-10102014.htm

Brian -

Sorry to hear about the similar situation Stonehaven. Yes, these tidal surges are annual events. However, they are clearly becoming more damaging at Golspie, where the coastline has been eroding away pretty much since the course opened 125 years ago (and likely much longer than that).  

The odd thing is, while the beach at Golspie is eroding, the beach at Dornoch is growing quite noticeably. If you stand on the 16th green at Royal Dornoch and look down on the beach and caravan park, it is quite apparent that the distance from the caravan park to the sea is perhaps twice as long as it was only 10-12 years ago. So much sand has been deposited there a whole new dunescape has been created. Whether or not that sand has come from the beach at Golspie is an interesting question.

DT  
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 09:40:20 AM by David_Tepper »

Paul Dolton

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 12:24:26 PM »
This is sad news. Its a friendly club and an very enjoyable course.
They have an excellent Head greenkeeper and staff. Lets hope they can get up and running soon.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 12:35:49 PM by Paul Dolton »

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 05:29:16 PM »
David,

Did you hear yet what happened at Golspie of Friday?  The article you provided said that Friday's prediction was for more flooding.

David_Tepper

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 06:24:38 PM »
"Did you hear yet what happened at Golspie of Friday?  The article you provided said that Friday's prediction was for more flooding."

Mitch -

So far there has been no further news on either the Golspie or Royal Dornoch Facebooks pages or on the Northern Times website. I did not check for news on Twitter. Hopefully the worst case scenario did not materialize.

DT
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 06:30:57 PM by David_Tepper »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 03:26:08 AM »
Nothing happened on Friday :). Calm day and no rain meaning high tide no problem. Indeed, the coming week here should be pretty good weather.

Jon

David_Tepper

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 03:30:32 PM »
Looks like all 18 holes at Golspie will be in play beginning tomorrow. That is good news.

http://www.northern-times.co.uk/News/Golspie-golf-course-re-opens-tomorrow-24102014.htm

Ken Moum

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 11:51:52 PM »
Looks like all 18 holes at Golspie will be in play beginning tomorrow. That is good news.

http://www.northern-times.co.uk/News/Golspie-golf-course-re-opens-tomorrow-24102014.htm

Good news.  As you know, we hope to spend a week or so in the area next spring, and I was disheartened to see it flooded again.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2014, 09:43:53 AM »
Just had a silly amount of rainfall through the night so hopefully this will have helped flush most of the salt out. I do not envy them as from a quick glance it looked like a lot of small stones spread across quite an area.

Jon

Steve Wilson

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2014, 12:47:21 PM »
When I was there in late September they were discussing have an overseas membership for a very reasonable fee.  As I like to use Golspie as a base, I am very much interested in joining.  My only reservations were if I would be spending enough time there next year to make it worth my while, but now I may join regardless as a gesture of solidarity--and some really good value for money golf.   
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

David_Tepper

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2014, 03:35:30 PM »
"When I was there in late September they were discussing have an overseas membership for a very reasonable fee."

Steve W. -

Golspie has just created an Overseas Membership category. As I understand it, the annual dues are 200 pounds, with no joining fee.
Overseas Members will be allowed to introduce 6 guests per year at the guest of member rate of 15 pounds. The club will welcome your support.

DT
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 04:30:46 PM by David_Tepper »

Steve Wilson

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2014, 03:47:36 PM »
David,
Thanks for the confirmation.

That was the number they were bruiting about.  I'll shoot an enquiry their way.

And thanks again for the round at Dornoch.

Regards,
Steve
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

David_Tepper

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2014, 05:15:56 PM »
Steve -

If you (or anyone else) needs further info on joining Golspie, just send me a PM.

DT

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back