News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Cavalier

Fishers Island - The Most Beautiful Par 3s in the US? (Photos)
« on: September 28, 2014, 12:30:48 AM »
I recently had the great privilege and pleasure of playing at the Fishers Island Club.  As those of you who've been there can attest, it is an amazing place for a round of golf. 

One thing that stuck out to me was the incredible visual appeal of the par 3 holes.  While beauty isn't everything, I think we can all agree that the setting and the scenery of a hole certainly add to its overall appeal.

I am admittedly a huge fan of MacDonald/Raynor/Banks, and I love playing a new set of templates.  I've seen a lot of them, but not all.  And the more I digested my round at Fishers, the more I have become convinced that the four par 3s at Fishers Island -- a Redan, a Biarritz, an Eden and a Short - are collectively the most visually appealing set of par 3s that I have ever played.

Note - I am not confusing "most beautiful" with "best" - in fact, I would argue that the Redan, Biarritz and Short at Piping Rock, for example, are "better" versions of these holes than those at Fishers.  But Piping Rock's par 3s, in their parkland setting, simply can't compare with the incredible visuals of those presented at Fishers.

So it is with that in mind that I ask, is there a course in the US with a more beautiful set of par 3 holes than Fishers Island? 

The evidence:

Hole 2 - Redan - 172yds - Fronted by a pond, backed by a seemingly endless stretch of Block Island Sound:

Hole 5 - Biarritz - 209yds - An uphill Biarritz with outstanding internal contour (the green could easily pass for a hogs back), this hole remains as good as it is gorgeous, even if it could stand to be lengthened a bit.  The view from the green (2nd photo) is one of the best on the course, and perhaps in golf:

Hole 11 - Eden - 164yrds - Cited as Raynor's best Eden hole (I wouldn't argue), the hole is set on a promontory from which the golfer can see several other holes and the clubhouse far in the distance across the inlet:

Hole 16 - Short - 146yds - The photo speaks for itself (for me, it vies with the 16th at Sleepy Hollow for the best looking MacRaynor Short):

So what do you guys think?
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Fishers Island - The Most Beautiful Par 3s in the US? (Photos)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 12:41:20 AM »
Jon,

Fishers Island is one of those very special golf courses that combine great holes with great vistas of those holes.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 01:14:26 AM »
Jon,

Fishers Island is one of those very special golf courses that combine great holes with great vistas of those holes.

Well said, Pat.
Golf Photos via

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 01:36:08 AM »
Thanks so much Jon. Wonderful images.
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Greg Gilson

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 02:21:15 AM »
Jon, thanks for sharing. Another thread of yours that elicits wonderful memories. 4 holes that look as good "live" as they do in photo! The entire course is unique and special.

However, your question...most beautiful par 3's in the US? Mmmmm, I am not going to think too hard about this but , right off the top of my head, consecutive rippers from CPC jump straight to mind.

Ah, just re-read the post (not just the title) and see you ask if the 4 COLLECTIVELY are the most beautiful...I think you might have a case!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 06:31:20 AM »
Can't argue the premise. What a great day for photography and much credit to you for finding some terrific angles from which to shoot the holes.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Scott Warren

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 06:38:09 AM »
Amazing pictures that bring back fantastic memories. Thank you.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 10:15:43 AM »
You guys who have played Fishers and Pebble: which do you like more?  Which do you think is the better course? 

Jud_T

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 10:46:58 AM »
Belt notcher quiz-  who else has played BOTH Fisher Islands?

Jim- I prefer FI primarily because I'm a sucker for templates and as a hack it suits my mediocre abilities better, but I can't help feeling both courses are SLIGHTLY overrated due to their overwhelming beauty.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 12:32:24 PM »

Jim- I prefer FI primarily because I'm a sucker for templates and as a hack it suits my mediocre abilities better, but I can't help feeling both courses are SLIGHTLY overrated due to their overwhelming beauty.

Jud,

I have played both. Fishers Island but once and Pebble dozens of times. As a homer I would pick Pebble by a fraction but for the sheer  ambiance of the Club and lack of fuss, Fishers takes the biscuit.

Bob

Jim Nugent

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 01:56:26 PM »
I'm guessing you don't face too many 5 1/2 hour rounds at Fishers. 

btw, great photos. 

Frank Giordano

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 04:06:29 PM »
I've always admired the par 3's at Harbour Town, but these are really very exciting looking holes.  May I have your permission to use your photos as reference materials for some paintings I might do of the par 3s at Fishers Island?  You can contact me via email at warcinc@nc.rr.com.  Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 04:47:15 PM »
Frank - check your email.
Golf Photos via

Tim Martin

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 06:30:22 PM »
Jon-Thanks for the great pictures. I think it is a standout collection of template par 3 holes with the exception of # 2 "Redan". Although not a bad hole by any stretch I don't think there is enough right to left cant for it to function nearly as well as some of it's more famous counterparts. That being said the golf course and surrounds is as good as it gets. :)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 07:01:17 PM »

You guys who have played Fishers and Pebble: which do you like more? 

Both are world class golf course serving different masters..

Which do you think is the better course? 

"Better" in which way ?

Harder ?
More fun ?
More scenic ?
Quicker to play ?
Windier ?

You can't go wrong playing either one.

PBGC probably accommodates a broader spectrum of golfers in terms of the challenge it can present.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2014, 09:12:45 PM »
Fantastic photos, Jon. Thanks for posting.

Josh Stevens

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 09:40:04 PM »
How do they maintain those grass banks?

Too steep to mow, so am curious why they don't use sand or revett them?

Jim Franklin

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 08:38:54 AM »
Can't wait to get back out there in two weeks time. Love Fishers Island.
Mr Hurricane

Brad Tufts

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 09:35:50 AM »
Question...does #5 need lengthening?

During my one visit to Fisher's, it was 210 playing uphill into a gale, so my choice was between driver and 3w.  I'm not sure this hole needs to be (or even can be) lengthened!  I think it's great as is.

Probably the closest I've seen to one of those fantasy-calendar golf holes...stepped to the tee thinking "how on earth am I going to hit a golf ball up there?"
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

J_ Crisham

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 10:53:26 AM »
Collectively the most scenic set of par 3's in the US. #5 is a beast with any wind . The false front also repels many a short shot. My position is they have it as it should be -birdies are rare on #5.

abmack

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 11:07:20 AM »
Jon,

Have you played Maidstone? Its the only course I can think of which gives Fishers Island a run for its money.

George Freeman

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 12:25:46 PM »

Jud -

I did not get a chance to play it, but I did see a second course on our way out to the end of the island.  From what I could see from the road, the course looked really neat.  No chance we were going to take away from playing 36 at Fishers Island to play it, which I'm sure is the case for most...

I assume you played it?  What is its name?  How was it?  Pictures?
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

John Sabino

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 12:38:42 PM »
Jon - Thanks for posting, pictures are incredible. I think Cypress Point would beat Fishers in the most beautiful (and better) category regarding par 3 holes. Not only are fifteen and sixteen two of the most picturesque holes in golf, but the third and seventh holes not located on the water are equally as beautiful with their large white sand and the environment they are set in.

Maidstone and Augusta (on the strength of the 12th hole) would also be in the running.

John
Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

J_ Crisham

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 02:16:06 PM »

Jud -

I did not get a chance to play it, but I did see a second course on our way out to the end of the island.  From what I could see from the road, the course looked really neat.  No chance we were going to take away from playing 36 at Fishers Island to play it, which I'm sure is the case for most...

I assume you played it?  What is its name?  How was it?  Pictures?
George,  My assumption is that Jud is alluding to the other Fisher Island off the coast of Miami- a nice escape in January but not in the same league as the real deal that Raynor and God created in the Long Island sound.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 03:51:12 PM »
Eastward Ho! has a pretty good set, although based on pictures, not the equal of Fishers or Cypress.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back