News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

The name in the envelope
« on: September 27, 2014, 11:07:22 AM »
It appears that Jimmy Walker MAY be injured. If he can't go tomorrow. ....

.... we will see the name in the envelope for Europe. I wonder who it might be.....
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Ronald Montesano

Re: The name in the envelope
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 11:33:52 AM »
My guess is Gallacher.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 12:03:25 PM »
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Bill Seitz

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 06:30:10 PM »
Maybe all 12 of our guys should say they're injured.  Might keep the final margin a bit less embarrassing.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 07:18:47 PM »
It really, really shouldn't be but the feeling in our house is that McGinley has put Dubuisson's name in the envelope.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 07:35:10 PM »
Stenson. He sat out today with a bad back. Dubuisson may be Europes best!  All over anyway. Paddy Power got the US at 10/1 to win the event.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 07:59:21 PM »
It really, really shouldn't be but the feeling in our house is that McGinley has put Dubuisson's name in the envelope.

Why?

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 11:23:52 PM »
Why?

That would be consistent with Paul Azinger's point of view when he was captain....from Golfweek:

“That’s probably the hardest decision you have to make as captain,” Azinger said. “I didn’t know what to do at first. If the name gets revealed, you potentially have shattered someone’s confidence. And then it hit me like a ton of bricks. Could the individual handle it if they were exposed? I’m going to put who I think is the most secure individual in this envelope. I cared about my guys, and the last thing I wanted to do was damage someone’s psyche. So I actually had a very good player in there.”
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Mark Pearce

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 02:07:35 AM »
McGinley doesn't seem to be a fan, having only played him twice and Gallacher (who it possibly should be) is the local favourite.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 04:14:05 AM »
Kevin - that doesn't surprise me. Zinger was most impressive during his interview for the History of the Ryder Cup doco we saw on TV here last week. I imagine all 12 would love playing for him, and he would extract the most from his team.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

David Stamm

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 01:33:52 PM »
It was a moot point anyway. Walker won his match.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 03:31:29 PM »
Why?

That would be consistent with Paul Azinger's point of view when he was captain....from Golfweek:

“That’s probably the hardest decision you have to make as captain,” Azinger said. “I didn’t know what to do at first. If the name gets revealed, you potentially have shattered someone’s confidence. And then it hit me like a ton of bricks. Could the individual handle it if they were exposed? I’m going to put who I think is the most secure individual in this envelope. I cared about my guys, and the last thing I wanted to do was damage someone’s psyche. So I actually had a very good player in there.”

Following that logic, McIlroy's name would have been in there!

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 04:31:41 PM »
Too bad Mickelson's name wasn't in the envelope.

I truly think the whole Captainship thing is s overrated and shouldn't be an all encompassing job for 2 years.
That said,
There's a time and a place as an active Ryder Cupper (Mickelson) for evaluation of what to do better.
Show some respect for a Captain who has put his heart and soul into this event for 2 years, and is a proven winner and team Captain.
Even /especially if you don't agree with his philosophy.
Watson took the high road.
Mickelson's comments to the reporter who called him disloyal are like when you start an insult by saying "no offense but....."
and then deeply offend them

Wait for the appropriate time and perhaps your words will be heard and respected ,particularly if your criticism is constructive and justified.

Otherwise you just look like a FIGJAM boob-which he did.
and I had previously been a Mickelson fan and was somewhat lukewarm on Watson.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Thomas Dai

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 04:40:04 PM »
In 1992 when Steve Pate wasn't able play at Kiawah it was David Gilford who sat out for the Euro's so I guess DG's name was in the envelope.

Lanny Watkins volunteered to sit out when Sam Terrance damaged his toe and couldn't play in 1993. I recall comments made at the time that his name wasn't actually the name in the envelope. I wonder who was actually the name in the envelope?

Any other recent or recentl-ish instances?

atb

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 10:11:16 PM »
The Larry Nelson curse continues.

The US PGA blew it when a Vietnam vet, self-taught (via the Hogan book) and TWO-TIME PGA CHAMPION, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, was denied the opportunity to captain the team.

Pavin, Lehman, Crenshaw, Kite, Strange, Watson...six of your last nine captains never won the PGA Championship.

For years, they said that his time had passed. Then, they selected Old Tom Watson, who surrounded himself with Old Ray Floyd and Old Andy North, an out-of-touch triumvirate if ever there was one. Only the 11th-Hour selection of Steve Stricker brought a sub-60 (age) member to the administrative team. Talk about a slap in the face to Old Larry.

For shame, PGA of America, for shame.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

jeffwarne

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2014, 10:52:53 PM »

The US PGA blew it when a Vietnam vet, self-taught (via the Hogan book) and TWO-TIME PGA CHAMPION, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, was denied the opportunity to captain the team.

Pavin, Lehman, Crenshaw, Kite, Strange, Watson...six of your last nine captains never won the PGA Championship.

For years, they said that his time had passed. Then, they selected Old Tom Watson, who surrounded himself with Old Ray Floyd and Old Andy North, an out-of-touch triumvirate if ever there was one. Only the 11th-Hour selection of Steve Stricker brought a sub-60 (age) member to the administrative team. Talk about a slap in the face to Old Larry.

+1
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jim Franklin

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 01:29:53 PM »

+1

+2
Mr Hurricane

David Stamm

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 03:11:30 PM »

+1

+2

+3

Tom Walsh

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 03:29:06 PM »

+1

+2

+3

As most of u know, Larry also won the US Open beating.........Tom Watson by a stroke
"vado pro vexillum!"

Jay Flemma

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 07:58:04 PM »
At Oakmont, no less!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Steve Wilson

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 08:55:12 PM »
Is there any possibility that Nelson doesn't want the captaincy?  That he has told them quietly behind the scenes he isn't interested is the only way the failure to name him makes any sense. 

and if he would accept it

+4

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Ronald Montesano

Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back