News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Tallman

Cabo - Post Odile
« on: September 19, 2014, 01:52:55 PM »
Greetings All,

Just a brief note to say Cabo is still here (well parts of it). We took a massive hit and the devastating is widespread but the efforts to get back up and running are already in place. This was a Katrina like event, simply replace the water issue with wind issues, everything else has been similar. That said the government response has been relatively encouraging, perhaps 36-48 slow but I have been pleasantly surprised.

I have not been around to the other golf facilities but we received only moderate damage to our holes hard against the ocean at 5-6-7 where the storm surge was incredible (pics when priorities change a bit).

We plan to have 9 holes open by the end of the month and 18 holes roughly a week later. Not sure anyone will be here to play but we are going to get back to normal ASAP and then assist as we can elsewhere.

Obviously a wild guess but I suspect the damage assessments to be 2 billion+. Perhaps 100 million (?) here at CDS.

Appreciate the private messages checking in but this was easier than responding to each.

Silver lining? Lost 10-12 pounds in 4-5 days. Another couple of weeks and... well, let's not get carried away.  ;)

Emile Bonfiglio

Re: Cabo - Post Odile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 02:56:59 PM »
Greg, so glad to hear you are ok! I've got rooms booked at the Hacienda Del Mar in December. What are the chances the town is going to be in any condition to bring guest that have not experience the area before? I'm love the area and want to support the local people, my guest coming with me are not quite as supportive. Would love your advice, also how is the resort property any major damage?
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Greg Tallman

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 03:21:22 PM »
Greg, so glad to hear you are ok! I've got rooms booked at the Hacienda Del Mar in December. What are the chances the town is going to be in any condition to bring guest that have not experience the area before? I'm love the area and want to support the local people, my guest coming with me are not quite as supportive. Would love your advice, also how is the resort property any major damage?

Emile (et al),

No sugar coating, it is bad, very bad but the resources are already flowing quickly and the Mexican government has a laser like focus to rebuild Cabo as quickly as possible. 

Spoke with the Director of Hacienda del Mar yesterday and he you should be fine for December dates. If you love Cabo I implore you to keep you plans to visit. While the area will still show signs of the catastrophe I can assure you that you and your first time guests will enjoy hospitality unlike you have seen before. I will accompany you to a few of my favorite spots and ensure you are treated as royalty.

Within every disaster lies opportunity and we intend to come out the other end of this a better resort (CDS) and a better community (Los Cabos).

See you in December  ;)

Greg Tallman

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 03:35:44 PM »
Office Depot

OXXO (Mexican 7-11)

About 10000 of these... already cleared and many replaced

Around my neighborhood

Gratuitous booty shot

View from my front door about 5 hours before all hell broke loose... rocks are about 50 feet tall

My house, basically untouched... unbelievable. Thank you lord.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 04:38:08 PM »
Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about the damage but glad to hear that you're safe.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Greg Gilson

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 04:41:14 PM »
Greg, thanks for posting & confirming you are all OK. Glad to see you are approaching it with humour and a positive mindset. Talk soon.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 05:54:08 PM »
For the entire week, I’ve been checking for news and updates.  I found it almost unbelievable how little information was available.  Without airports, power, etc. it was like the entire region was isolated from the rest of the planet.  Good to hear you are safe and best wishes putting your lives back together.  Really tragic.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 06:59:09 PM »
Greg, thanks for posting & confirming you are all OK. Glad to see you are approaching it with humour and a positive mindset. Talk soon.

So THIS is what happens when you mess with an Aussie golf tour operator? Man, I would have told them no had I known you would unleash this on me!!!!!!

Greg Gilson

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 07:01:47 PM »
"Now, that's what I call a warning" (with apologies to Crocodile Dundee).

JWL

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 08:28:47 PM »
Wow Greg....glad to hear from you finally.    We have a lot of work to do.   We will talk soon about schedule.
Cheers also  to Bill/VC

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 09:16:23 PM »
Greg

Those photos of the waves are pretty amazing.   Also glad to hear you are ok!  Good luck with the clean up.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 10:58:30 AM »
Wow Greg....glad to hear from you finally.    We have a lot of work to do.   We will talk soon about schedule.
Cheers also  to Bill/VC
[/quote

Gracias, Bowman already sent some plans for any remedial work we may need to do.  ;)

Other than clean up not that bad in terms of golf. Hole 7 took a hit and Kurt's middle of the ocean finger of tee did not make it but it will be replaced. Green suffered pretty good damage but the good news is the front left bunker that should have always been a lowish dune area... now is!!!!

At any rate we'll be back up and ready to tackle our previous plans sooner rather than later. Cheers.

Jason Topp

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 10:50:09 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to update us Greg. I am pleased your home came through the storm ok. 

Protect the tequila at all costs! 

Greg Tallman

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 11:38:41 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to update us Greg. I am pleased your home came through the storm ok. 

Protect the tequila at all costs! 

Our 50 or so bottles made it through, well except the good stuff Don Julio 1942, which the fiancé enjoyed during the 11 or so hours the storm was rattling our cage.

Now if I could just find some grapefruit juice...

Things calming down a bit, we have reduced the size of our own armed security force (residents) watching our neighborhood from dusk 'til dawn, finally got a decent night's sleep last night.

Even got to watch my Mountaineers last night, least painful loss I have ever watched.

paul cowley

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 07:14:35 PM »
Like!
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Greg Tallman

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 10:58:51 AM »
Like!

Paul, Good to see you yesterday. Seems as though we all made it through OK.

From what I can gather most of the golf is fine, just some big clean up efforts required. The word thus far is that everything from CDS over to Diamante should be up and running by November 1 at the latest. Obviously each property can speak for themselves and make their own announcements but from talking to the guys at CSL CC, Quivira and Diamante we will all be up and operational for the high season.

Haven't been able to communicate with the guys out toward San José but my guess is they would of a similar mind.

First GCA member to book a golf trip to Cabo between November 1 and December 15 gets a free round on The Ocean Course and a the drinks for the day are on me. Send proof of reservation (with booking date after Sept 22, 2014)  to gtallman@cabodelsol.com.mx . I will even make Cowley unbuckle for a glass of wine for you at Sammy G's.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 11:09:39 AM »
Already booked. flying in Dec 11th..wouldnt dream of missing my annual pilgrimage to one of the worlds greatest spots to play this wonderful game ;D

Greg Tallman

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 11:30:59 AM »
Already booked. flying in Dec 11th..wouldnt dream of missing my annual pilgrimage to one of the worlds greatest spots to play this wonderful game ;D

Already had you in mind and thus the book sept 22 or later  ;)

Ken Fry

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 11:47:57 AM »
Greg,

Glad to hear all is relatively ok.  Quite a few guys from the South Bend area make trips to Cabo every year.  Hopefully one of these years I can take them up on their offers to come along.

All the best.

Ken

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 11:52:20 AM »
This would be a great opportunity to help Cabo out.
I am already there the week of Dec 11-18 and would be certainly  be able to host at Diamante should a group of GCA be in the area.
Hosting means basically a half price green fee ;D
The new TIGER course will be open and I would imagine the area needs support right now to keep jobs etc....
I know that Greg would embrace the idea and be able to get the best rate possible at Cabo del Sol and the new Nicklaus Quivera with his contacts there.

Great chance for great golf and to do something to help out a community at the same time, what do you think gents?

Jim Franklin

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 11:54:56 AM »
Glad you are okay and have kept your sense of humor.

What were the wind speeds? Can't imagine.
Mr Hurricane

Greg Tallman

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2014, 02:59:49 PM »
Glad you are okay and have kept your sense of humor.

What were the wind speeds? Can't imagine.

Sustained winds somewhere around 115-125 with gusts, we believe, upwards of 150 MPH. Of course there are those on GCA that would claim that is perfect golf weather as they are purists! Fact is it was strong enough to knock down cinderblock walls in numerous locations including the homes of a few of our staff. No Bueno!

I am not one to fearful of much but about 1:00 Monday morning I was begging "let's this shit be over, please" only to have another 5 hours or so to sit through.

Not one to shed a tear either but stepping out of the house at 7:15 on Monday morning changed that very quickly as did seeing one of our outside guys, Jose Luis, bright and early present for work on Tuesday, I asked how he and his family made it through... WITHOUT STOPPING THE WORK HE WAS DOING this young man explained that the 2 little houses he lived in are completely gone and that he, his wife and two little kids survived laying under the bed through the night, unaware the house was gone.   

Truly a life changing event.

paul cowley

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2014, 10:49:47 PM »
..I'll contribute the aforementioned glass of wine AND a shot of tequila and go from there...
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Brad Tufts

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2014, 11:12:26 PM »
Hi Greg,

Glad to see everyone is alright and things are alteady in motion to bring Cabo back up to speed.

Very tempting, but no trips this winter if the wife is going to allow a trip to England next summer.

Sounds like a job for the Most Interesting Man! 

Still not married and still no kids...and he's dating a neurosurgeon...who is Irish!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Greg Tallman

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 02:36:37 PM »
Hi Greg,

Glad to see everyone is alright and things are alteady in motion to bring Cabo back up to speed.

Very tempting, but no trips this winter if the wife is going to allow a trip to England next summer.

Sounds like a job for the Most Interesting Man! 

Still not married and still no kids...and he's dating a neurosurgeon...who is Irish!

how appropriate

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back