News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

From Tee to Green: The Story of Irish Golf
« on: September 19, 2014, 06:32:40 AM »
This airs next Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday on Setanta in Ireland... Perhaps it is available elsewhere:

LOGLINE:
From Tee To Green: The Story Of Irish Golf is a three-part sporting history, featuring great
players, spectacular courses and moments of high drama all set on an island designed for
golf.
SYNOPSIS
The story of Irish golf is as intriguing, contradictory and dramatic as the courses dotted
along its coastline. The island is designed for golf. It has 3,500 miles of coastline, a
landscape of granite and red sandstone mountains, unspoiled white-sand beaches, rugged
cliffs that drop 400 feet to the sea and ancient dunes—all millions of years in the making.
The lucky convergence of warm Gulf Stream currents, temperate weather, and lush
vegetation help create one of the most spectacular golf settings on Earth.
Over the course of three films, From Tee To Green explores the history, geography and
cultural impact of golf on the island. The series is a journey from Irish golf ’s mystical
origins in Wicklow to the magical exploits of Harrington, McDowell, McIllroy and Clarke.
Along the way there are great characters, tournaments won, tournaments lost, moments of
great sporting drama and great financial crises - and it’s all set against some of the most
spectacular scenery anywhere on the planet. Lavishly shot and set in some of the world’s
great courses, this is a golfing grand tour laced with fascinating history and sporting
folklore.
What makes Ireland’s golf history especially fascinating is that, uniquely, many of its oldest
courses are still around today, giving these two films a timeless backdrop that requires no
embellishment or reconstruction. Many of the images shot for this series could have been
captured when the game first took hold in Ireland in the latter half of the nineteenth
century. Yet while the views themselves are as they were for the pioneers of film, this
series will present the beauty and splendour of Irish golf in a very 21st century way. Aerial
photography and specially designed slow motion cameras will present the game and these
extraordinary settings in a new way, even for a sport which has been something of a
plaything for live sports innovators in recent times. Mobile mini-cranes with super slow
motion cameras circling tee shots will create a cinematic element that hasn’t been seen
before in golf coverage. Set against such remarkable backdrops as The Old Head Of
Kinsale, Portmarnock, Ballybunion and Royal Co. Down there’s also the archive. Featuring
a wealth of newsreel footage and unseen ‘home movies’ dating as far back as the 1910s
and singularly the best preserved photographic catalogue in Irish sports, there’s a richness
and texture to the archive in this series that will add a vitality and intimacy to these films.
The series is narrated by Aidan Quinn.

Thomas Dai

Re: From Tee to Green: The Story of Irish Golf
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 12:12:33 PM »
Thanks for highlighting this Ally. It sounds really good. Not sure how to get Setanta in the UK - any advice welcome - but I for one would certainly like to watch it.
atb

Darragh Garrahy

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 12:34:55 PM »
Really enjoyed this- watched the 3 back to back episodes on Oct 9th and have been searching for it on the web since, but to no avail.

Lots of interesting footage in 1st and 2nd episodes.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 04:18:28 PM »
Indeed Darragh, it was excellent and I lost count of the amount of times I paused the recording to try and locate some of the old footage. The contributions were perfect as well.

Unfortunately, one of the contributors - long time Portmarnock historian Tim Healy - passed away just this morning after a short illness. Tim was the primary reason that I now play my golf in Portmarnock and was an absolute gent. I had recently penned him a 6 page letter on a subject close to both our hearts that he never got to read. He will be sorely missed and I hope that in some small way I can keep his memory alive by continuing his work on the course history. RIP

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 04:30:49 PM »
Very sorry to hear about your friend Ally.

I managed to find this trailer to the show but alas couldn't find any more - http://vimeo.com/106386413

By the way, would the guy in the light brown coloured sweater and black trousers be Joe Carr?

atb

Ryan Coles

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 04:39:05 PM »
Indeed Darragh, it was excellent and I lost count of the amount of times I paused the recording to try and locate some of the old footage. The contributions were perfect as well.

Unfortunately, one of the contributors - long time Portmarnock historian Tim Healy - passed away just this morning after a short illness. Tim was the primary reason that I now play my golf in Portmarnock and was an absolute gent. I had recently penned him a 6 page letter on a subject close to both our hearts that he never got to read. He will be sorely missed and I hope that in some small way I can keep his memory alive by continuing his work on the course history. RIP

Ally

My condolences

Strange question, but do you know if he was working on a project about an early Ryder Cup? Recently took a call from Portmarnock about Syd Easterbrook. Wondered if it was the same guy?

Darragh Garrahy

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 10:05:04 AM »

Very sad to hear this Ally.

As a newish member of PGC I had seen Tim around but it wasn't until I saw the show and he came on that I put a name to his face. I knew of the historian and name, but didn't know that that was him I saw all those times.

He did great work. RIP.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back