News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Duncan Cheslett

Rockliffe Hall
« on: September 18, 2014, 08:55:54 AM »
A group of guys from my club have just returned from a trip to Rockliffe Hall near Darlington. Good golfers whose opinions I respect, to a man they pronounced the course to be magnificent, and amongst the very best inland courses in the UK. The hotel and food was also reported to be of the highest order, and great value as a package.

I have to confess I'd never heard of the place, and can find no more than a passing mention of it on here.

Has anyone played it and do they agree with my friends?

Thomas Dai

Re: Rockliffe Hall
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 09:23:08 AM »
I've seen it on TV - European Seniors tour play an event there.
atb

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 09:44:41 AM »
Marc Westonborg, then of the Hawtree firm, built the course (Marc is on here occasionally, isn't he?). Steve Gibson, Middlesbrough FC chairman, is the developer, and the football club's training ground is also on site. The hotel is big and fancy, a bit flash for my taste. The course is pretty big too - I think it tips out at 7,800 yards, although one should say that the back tees are small, surrounded by basically unmaintained grass and don't really have much of an impact on how normal golfers play the course. Consider the whole place as an attempt to make a northern version of the Grove.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 10:15:31 AM »

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 12:20:16 PM »
A group of guys from my club have just returned from a trip to Rockliffe Hall near Darlington. Good golfers whose opinions I respect, to a man they pronounced the course to be magnificent, and amongst the very best inland courses in the UK. The hotel and food was also reported to be of the highest order, and great value as a package.

I have to confess I'd never heard of the place, and can find no more than a passing mention of it on here.

Has anyone played it and do they agree with my friends?
Duncan it is a typically case of what the major opinion actually likes. Tell your mates I can do a 2 night stay with golf on 3 different courses £149!
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Mark Pearce

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 06:56:23 PM »
I haven't played the course, which looks like any other modern, long, "championship" course, but I have stayed at the hotel and eaten at the restaurant (though the then chef, Kenny Atkinson has since left).  Both were genuinely excellent. 

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 09:13:06 AM »
Duncan it is a typically case of what the major opinion actually likes. Tell your mates I can do a 2 night stay with golf on 3 different courses £149!

Sounds great Adrian.

I might just suggest a trip to Bristol.  I have to warn you though, persuading our lot to travel south of Macclesfield is not going to be easy!

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 09:35:34 AM »

Sounds great Adrian.

I might just suggest a trip to Bristol.  I have to warn you though, persuading our lot to travel south of Macclesfield is not going to be easy!
Tell them we have Naked cart girls Duncan!
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 12:23:40 PM »
You clearly know your market well, Adrian!

;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back