News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

Scottish Fairways Lost to the Wars
« on: September 18, 2014, 08:23:31 AM »
Just seen an interesting article on the BBC website about courses and how the wars affected them. I have included the link below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-29063884

I was very interested in seeing the course at Nigg as I looked at this land when I was searching for a site. Good bit of land for building up to 36 holes but to far off the beaten track for my budget.

Jon

Thomas Dai

Re: Scottish Fairways Lost to the Wars
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 10:20:25 AM »
That's an interesting link Jon. Some nice olde photos too.

I did some googling to investigate a bit further. I see that the old Nigg course was just to the east of where the fabrication yard now is.

Known then as Castlecraig GC - http://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/scotland-63/north-west/highlands-a-islands/128-castlecraig-golf-club-nigg-cromarty-highland

A very picturesque spot I imagine. For those who don't know it, and it's not really that far from Dornoch, see Bing sat-map - http://binged.it/1qhoyOh

By the way, ddo you reckon the former RAF course at the Easter Ross airfield also photographed in the article was at the airfield you pass when you drive from Tain to Portmahomac or the one further south, the airfield just west of Balintore?

Mentioning fabrication yards, I've often wondered if anything could be done golf-wise with the area around the former McDermotts fabrication yard at Ardersier, just west of Nairn and a few miles east of Castle Stuart - Bing sat-map - http://binged.it/1qhoVbJ

atb

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 01:11:17 PM »
Thomas,

yes it is a lovely setting and would work well as a possible resort destination with golf and marina. Plenty of  land with good movement, good views as well.

I suspect that the old airfield on the way to Portmahomac is the location of the 9 holer.

There is quite a bit of good land around Ardersier and Fort George along the coast towards Nairn. Indeed there are plans a foot to build several thousand houses plus school and golf course to the west of Nairn.

Jon

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 02:55:56 PM »
Thanks for this Jon.

My how the population has expanded over the last few decades. I was surprised how much bigger Inverness seemed to have got when I was up that way a couple of years ago and now there are plans for several thousand houses plus school and golf course to the west of Nairn.

I wonder what kind of golf course the new one will be and who'll be designing/constructing/owning it.

How things come and go though, as there used to be a golf course at Ardersier (NLE) - http://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/scotland-63/north-west/inverness/91-ardersier-golf-club-inverness

Nice part of the world though - micro-climate and plenty of quality golf nearby plus two SPL teams playing not far up the road. :)

atb

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 03:29:46 PM »
"My how the population has expanded over the last few decades. I was surprised how much bigger Inverness seemed to have got when I was up that way a couple of years ago and now there are plans for several thousand houses plus school and golf course to the west of Nairn."

Thomas -

I believe Inverness has been one of the fastest growing cities in the U.K. in terms of population for much of the past 10-20 years.

The area could certainly benefit with better air service from London.

DT

James Boon

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 07:08:01 PM »
Thanks Jon, an interesting article.

Military history has always fascinated me but its actually the photo of the two ladies at Golspie I like the best. I think the fairway needs a bit of work?  ;)

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

David_Tepper

Re: Scottish Fairways Lost to the Wars New
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 07:38:44 PM »
James -

I enjoyed that pic of Golspie as well. Early in the 20th Century, the course started at the end of town. What is now the 3rd hole used to be the 1st hole and what is now the 2nd hole used to be the 18th hole.

The clubhouse was at that end of the course, as shown in the picture. I do wonder why the clubhouse is surrounded by a fence. Maybe to keep grazing livestock away from it?

DT

P.S. I think the lady addressing the golf ball is actually standing on the beach, not on the course. Why that is I have no idea. My understanding is that clubhouse was lost to coastal erosion. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 08:02:53 PM by David_Tepper »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back