News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

Re: A Look At The Centenary/Ryder Cup Course
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 04:27:34 AM »
Jon,

My personal feeling was that it actually could be converted in to a reasonable course if only width were allowed to be utilised. I'm not suggesting it could ever be outstanding but it could at least hold some strategic interest, at least with regard to some of the par 4s.

Would you not agree?

Paul,

I suppose the routing is not bad but it is a course designed to make the top players look good. With more width and put back the movement in the land that used to be there before it was built and you could well be right.

Jon

Paul Gray

Re: A Look At The Centenary/Ryder Cup Course
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2014, 06:51:09 AM »
Wow, what a travesty! Was there ever a course more artificially imposed on the land than this one? At least in Scotland?

This was (and is) a shocker. I have a certain regard for the progressively doglegging par 5 which presents something of a cape effect throughout but this is simply a case of water being overly imposed into a fairway. Take the water line back somewhat or replace it even with something more fitting and without being outstanding you could have a hole at least more in keeping with its place in the world. 
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back