News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Mingay

Re: Garden City Golf Club - Photo Tour (Holes 1-18 - All Holes Posted)
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2014, 05:09:16 PM »
Thanks so much for the photos, Jon ... no other course gets my blood pumpin' like Garden City. Seriously, what else do you need?
jeffmingay.com

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2014, 05:17:24 PM »

What the photo below doesn't capture is the decision making nature of a relatively short opening hole.

Obviously WIND is a factor.
Usually, the wind is at your back, helping.

On the tee, you have several decisions to make.

Driver
Fairway wood
Iron

Directly at green (shorter carry) but it brings the bunker and the carry over the bunker into play.

Right of green (longer carry) but, unencumbered approach into green.

It's a neat opening hole.

To invoke "Princess Bride", it looks like The Pit of Despair!!
[/quote]

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2014, 05:39:20 PM »
That was an excellent tour! Thank you for sharing. Very special.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2014, 10:53:50 PM »
Great tour. All such photo tours should have the benefit of being shot with a Leica.

The red and white checkered flags are warning flags for those on the tee.
They signify a deep and dangerous bunker not visible from the tee.
They appear on # 4, 10, 14 and 17.
I'm told that there were more of them many years ago.
They are a neat and distinctive feature, and serve their function well.

What is the function on a members' course where you know each hole?

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2014, 11:33:36 PM »
Great tour. All such photo tours should have the benefit of being shot with a Leica.

The red and white checkered flags are warning flags for those on the tee.
They signify a deep and dangerous bunker not visible from the tee.
They appear on # 4, 10, 14 and 17.
I'm told that there were more of them many years ago.
They are a neat and distinctive feature, and serve their function well.

What is the function on a members' course where you know each hole?

There are several answers I could offer.

One is that some of those tee shots are blind to various degrees with each of the deep bunkers being totally blind.

The second is that I'll let you play the course ten times and guarantee that on your 10th play that you can't pin point how far out the bunker extends into the fairway/DZ.  You may have a general idea, but often on holes # 4, 14 and 17 you don't have an accurate or precise idea.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2014, 03:12:12 PM »
Guys:

Thanks for all of the comments. I'm glad that you all seemed to enjoy the photos as much as I enjoyed shooting them.

I couldn't agree more with the comments about making the most out of a flat peice of land. I thought that every hole had its own unique challenges and strategies, and the course never felt boring or repetitive. It's a wonderful golf course and a truly special place.

Jon
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Frank Pasquale

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2014, 05:56:43 PM »
Awesome photos, thanks for sharing.  I've lived on LI my whole life and never played there!

A couple of holes had flags next to fairway bunkers.  I've never seen that before.  What are they for?

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2014, 06:48:25 PM »
Jon,

I can see what all the talk has been about on this course. Thanks for the really good tour.

Jon

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2014, 11:15:10 PM »
Awesome photos, thanks for sharing.  I've lived on LI my whole life and never played there!

A couple of holes had flags next to fairway bunkers.  I've never seen that before.  What are they for?

Frank:

Someone mentioned these back up the thread. They are used to mark the position of a particularly nasty fairway bunker that is blind to the tee. I think Pat mentioned there were four in total:
No. 4 - left side (this one is particularly nasty)
No. 10 - left side
No. 14 - right side
No. 17 - left side
I thought it was a really nice feature that served its purpose well, provided a nice point of reference on tee shots where the fairway wasn't completely visible, and were a unique touch.

Jon
Golf Photos via

Jordan Wall

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2014, 10:52:02 AM »
Garden City looks absolutely phenomenal.

Are there any similarities between GC and Friars Head?

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2014, 02:30:44 PM »
Garden City looks absolutely phenomenal.

Are there any similarities between GC and Friars Head?

It's high on my list, but alas, I've never played Friar's Head. On speculation, I would guess that one pronounced difference would be that GCGC is on a flat piece of ground while Friar's Head (from what I understand, anyway) has some significant elevation change.

If anyone has played both, I would love to hear your thoughts on how they compare.
Golf Photos via

Greg Gilson

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2014, 04:49:36 PM »
Apart from the obvious (18 tees & greens!!!) I cannot think of any real similarities between GC & FH....but maybe I'm not thinking hard enough. From the moment you approach each club you are aware that one is a small, classic, old, beautifully managed look back in time. The other is a big, bold, modern, flashy club with all the right facilities (including a wonderful course).

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2014, 10:26:45 PM »
Jordan,

There are similarities, but certainly not in the terrain.

Both courses' greens often transition seemlessly from the fairway.
Both courses have an "open" feel.   Rarely, does the golfer feel confined.
Both courses are maintained as "golfers" courses.
Both courses enjoy a good breeze most of the time.
Both courses are easy to walk.
Both courses bunkers present a far less than pristine character.
Both courses are fun to play.
Both courses are challenging

Kevin_D

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2014, 09:37:50 AM »
I would add that both courses, while challenging, left me wanting to go right from the 18th green to the 1st tee.  The only course I can think of that evoked that feeling even more than these two is National.

Of course, there are many differences.

As many pointed out, FH is much hillier (though still not a bad walk) and sandier looking.

You have to almost try to lose a ball at FH, while an offline drive on some holes at GCGC can result in a re-tee.  (OK, maybe very off line...what can I say)

While almost British in feel, GCGC is probably the most unique course I've ever played.  As you can see on this thread, almost every hole is filled with quirk and interest.  I can't think of another course like it.

FH is also somewhat unique, though some of the front 9 holes are similar to other C&C courses.  I do not say that as a bad thing - I think the front at FH is underrated simply because the back is so spectacular.  I would put the final 5 holes at FH up against almost anywhere in the world.

As for non-golf stuff, I would not call FH "flashy" (the entrance is unmarked!).  The clubhouse is certainly first rate, though very classically done, and I think will age well with time.  It is also not as big as it looks in some pictures.

The clubhouse at GCGC may be the coolest golf-related place I've ever been.  The mere fact that it exists makes me happy.

In the end, there is not much similar about the courses, other than the fact that a round at either place is guaranteed to be incredibly fun.

One final point: some people commented on how green these pictures look. When I played GCGC last year (in July or August) it did not look so lush, and played very F&F.   I am guessing the presentation here has more to do with weather than anything.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back