News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Lewis

Why not the best of all time?
« on: September 15, 2014, 09:51:45 PM »
OK.  I am not trying to start hype or anything....but let's ask ourselves a few questions.  What are the components that create a great golf course?  Great land? Great owners who allow the architect the proper discretion? Great architects in the prime of their career?  So....what is on the horizon?  Cabot Cliffs.   Its not convenient for ANYBODY.  BUT...we have all the elements.  Why is it not possible for Crenshaw and Coore, in the prime of their spectacular career, having learned from their mistakes at Friars Head, Sand Hills, Old Sandwich and elsewhere to create their masterpiece on a piece of land that imposes zero limitations, with owners who understand golf as well as any ever have, and have also given the artists total free reign ...... why not?

Bill_McBride

Re: Why not the best of all time?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 09:59:04 PM »
OK.  I am not trying to start hype or anything....but let's ask ourselves a few questions.  What are the components that create a great golf course?  Great land? Great owners who allow the architect the proper discretion? Great architects in the prime of their career?  So....what is on the horizon?  Cabot Cliffs.   Its not convenient for ANYBODY.  BUT...we have all the elements.  Why is it not possible for Crenshaw and Coore, in the prime of their spectacular career, having learned from their mistakes at Friars Head, Sand Hills, Old Sandwich and elsewhere to create their masterpiece on a piece of land that imposes zero limitations, with owners who understand golf as well as any ever have, and have also given the artists total free reign ...... why not?

You need to get up there and play Cabot LINKS.  Most fun I've had on a new course since Sagebrush, another Rod Whitman course in Canada.  I'm sure Cabot Cliffs will be excellent, and what I saw last year of the cliffside holes was exciting, Cliffs' holes away from the cliffs may not be as exciting as a lot of Links.    However it turns out, the 36 hole facility will be a magnet for Cape Breton Island. 

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 10:07:16 PM »
OK.  I am not trying to start hype or anything...

First question, does it start and finish at the clubhouse?  ;)

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 10:40:06 PM »
To paraphrase Pete Dye, (and Mike Nuzzo :) ) "I thought I had".

One key word you use Jeff, is, Artist. That opens up the kettle of fish, to make "best of all time" too subjective. Big world theory, and all.

If you're looking for a spot, there's 600 acres near Ainsworth, Ne. worthy of such a canvas. Wind blows, sand percolates, and the owner is top shelf.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 08:37:44 AM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Steve Lapper

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 12:51:27 PM »

Jeff,

There's no question that all the all prerequisites you cite above are necessary ingredients to even possibly produce the "greatest of all time." I'd add that great turf and a friendly atmosphere must also be part of the mix. Whether someone believes the Old Course, Royal Melbourne, Sand Hills, Pine Valley or others deserve the title, no course sniffs it without those features.

Can Cabot Cliffs earn a place among the game's greatest and best of all time?? Quite possibly is the only fair answer. Having walked that land years back, there's no question it is amazing and worthy and C&C are brilliant artisans and at the top of their game. Ben, Mike, et.al. more the "get it," and know better than to handcuff either the artists or the process. Time and discerning eyes will tell. I can't wait to go back up and play it.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

John Foley

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 02:04:43 PM »
having learned from their mistakes at Friars Head, Sand Hills, Old Sandwich and elsewhere to create their masterpiece on a piece of land that imposes zero limitations, with owners who understand golf as well as any ever have, and have also given the artists total free reign ...... why not?

I'd be interested to hear what these mstakes are? I'd be surprised that the owners of those three places had a heavy hand and would not have given them free reign.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Chris DeToro

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 02:06:22 PM »
agreed--those are three world class courses, what mistakes were made?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 09:09:33 PM »
Gentlemen, I read that as a bit tongue in cheek.

But, in reality, people, especially artists, are never satisfied. A good cook is their own harshest critic. So to speak.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

mike_beene

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 11:57:39 PM »
The best of all time,or as I read it the perfect golf course( whatever that is) even if it could be built, should not be built. After playing it golf would forever after be a let down. Fortunately perfection is undefinable objectively. And perfection is perhaps a design flaw anyway.Golf like life is a journey and if you arrive it's over.

Emil Weber

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 07:05:46 PM »
I don't think any piece of art that set out to be the best ever was!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 06:35:20 AM »
Jeff,

Getting the stars to align perfectly is a difficult task in golf and just about everything else in life.

I happen to think that the process begins with a fundamental concept.

An intelligent, golf savy developer with vision.

Mike Keiser, Ken Bakst, Dick Youngscap and others come to mind.

THEY find the site.
THEY have the vision
THEY choose the Architect

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back