News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Emil Weber

*Reay. Back Nine up*
« on: September 12, 2014, 10:40:40 AM »
In times when Scotland's mainland is so well travelled by golfers that even places like Brora and certainly Dornoch are not really remote anymore, it seems impossible to find great links golf that is still undiscovered.
But what if some research lets you stumble across a golf course on the very north coast of Scotland that has seen almost no attention here on GCA. And then the website gives you some wonderful looking photos and tells you it's 25pounds for a day ticket - do you get excited? I did for sure.

Reay is the most northernly 18 hole links on the British mainland and the design is attributed to James Braid. It plays 5831 yds from the men's tees to a par of 69, so it's fairly short which is not unusual for an "old" Scottish links. It had rained through the night and the forecast predicted even more rain for our day at Reay, but out of nowhere it turned into a wonderful day and the course still played nicely firm. To give you an idea of how busy the course is - it was a sunny saturday and we counted six other golfers out there all day!

Now, with little idea what to expect but quite some expectations, it was a very fun day. Reay is not great and it is surely not the next Cruden Bay or Brora, but it is pretty good and a very enjoyable walk - and it has a lot of potential for improval.

Altogether the 3 links/seaside courses on the north coast, namely Wick, Reay and Durness, are too far apart from each other and certainly a step back in "quality" from the courses in the Dornoch Area to be a golfing destination of its own (although I thought that Durness was outstanding). But this is only good news for those who wish to keep these courses to themselves and want to escape the greenfee madness for another couple of years. Having said that, the north-/north-west coast of Scotland is extremely beautiful, very remote and worth a trip itself. The courses serve as an extra and their biggest strength might be how relaxing they are to play and look at.

There are very good holes at Reay aswell as uninteresting ones, so normally it would be the kind of course that you only feature a handful of best holes from. But to get a true feel for the course as such I think it's important to see every hole - so I will start with the front nine in this post and hope that you can find time to read through the descriptions aswell.

In fashion with all modest Scottish clubhouses, this must be their king – there is no pro shop or office, green fee can only be paid through the honesty box

The first hole is 235yard par 3. Not an easy par because of it's length, but otherwise a very forgiving opening hole. Very weird in the fact that you walk about a 150 yards back from the clubhouse to play to a green that sits right by it. Certainly the most interesting feauture of the hole, not it's best.
Tee shot:

The green slopes left to right, no danger around it thoguh. The Greenkeeping crew was kind enough to sand the green right in front of us.

Looking back

At 428 yards, the 2nd is a long par 4 which plays down into a valley and up to the green. Longer hitters will open their shoulders as there is loads of room, but the approach shot will be semi-blind and hides a bunker front right of the green fed by the slopes. Shorter hitters who play it as a 3-shot hole will have 3 completely visible shots.

Although OOB on the left might look a bit threatening, this is the first of many uninteresting tee shots on the course. Most of the holes that run parallel share their semi-roughs (2,3,4,6 and 8,11,12,13), which coupled with a complete lack of fairway bunkers makes for a) some very boring tee shots, b) gives you the feeling of playing over a meadow and not links land and c) takes definition away from the holes and the course.
This is IMO the course's biggest weakness and be erased by a just a few cleverly placed bunkers and a few strips of sparse, light, links rough.

Approach after a good drive, semi-blind up the hill

A look closer to the green

They are pretty serious about sanding, or bunkering their greens at Reay!

Hole 3 is a par 4 of 369 yards and plays back towards the clubhouse. My Bro' crackin it down the fairway, nothing to lose here.

The uphill approach shot, far left is danger, too shy right is where a bunker lurks.

Looking back down the 3rd

Nothing much has happened until now, but the 4th starts a series of very good holes. At 581 yards, it is of unexpected lentgh on such a course.
The tee shot plays towards a dune from where the second shot is completely blind:

Atop the hill, the green is still far away. The direct line towards the green flirts with the rough on the left side.

Looking down from the dune, there is lots of space here as the semi-rough is shared with the 5th hole. Too safe right though will leave a blind 3rd shot over a dune

Looking back over the interesting, front to back sloping green, the beach not far away

If you ever have to wait on the group in front of you, the 5th tee would be a good spot for it!

The 5th is a short par 3 of 144 yards. The green is bunkered in front on both sides and slopes left to right harder than it looks. Again, some definition to the rough that is not in play and some more clever bunkering could make this a great hole.
The sky looks unreal in this picture...

Looking back over the 5th

The 6th is probably the strongest hole on the course: a 477 yard par 5 that doglegs smoothly around the big seaside dunes.
On the tee:

A really fun drive: there is loads of space to the right, but if you think of reaching the green in 2, you better bite off as much as you can, but how much is that?

Midway to the hole on the rolling fairway

About 180 yards in after a good drive with the wind, the second shot is no less interesting. A burn comes into play about 50 yards short of the green and protects the left side. The bunker front right is well placed and the green has very nice contours to mess with those thinking that it's an easy birdy.

Over from the 7th tee across the 6th green. You get this view of 6 multiple times during the round. So while it is one of the strongest holes on the course it is the visual center of attention aswell

The 7th finishes a par 5-3-5-3 run and at 196 yards is the best par 3 on the course.
The tee shot must carry a deep valley to a green that sits on a diagonal dune. There is lots of bailout space left and short left, but if you go for it you better not miss it short or right!
From tee

Looking back

Hole 8 is a fairly ordinary par 4 that plays across some nicely ondulating terrain. The drive is semi blind but only gets tight for long hitters where a patch of rough comes into play from the right at 220yards.
From 200 yards in

Holing out at 8, looking back towards the tee. The green is nicely set into the hill.

Looking across nr. 8 from the right. Although this is a really mild example of Braid setting his greens into hillsides, it might actually be the most unnatural green on the course.

The 9th is another very scenic par three of 176 yards. It is bunkered in front on both sides aswell, but the green is much larger than at the 5th and the green slopes right to left quite hard.

A beauty...

I'm off to the Odenwald now :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 08:00:32 AM by Emil Weber »

Phil McDade

Re: *Reay. In words and colours*
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 11:36:43 AM »
Emil:

Thanks very much for posting this; I briefly entertained the idea of traveling up there to see Wick and Reay during my travels, but decided against it. Some neat stuff here -- I really enjoy looking at these community-oriented courses and clubs rarely visited by outsiders. Inverallochy is another club (near Fraserburgh) that has a similar look and feel. (Didn't the Queen Mother -- may she rest in peace :) -- holiday near Wick for a while?)

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 12:19:15 PM »
Emil -

Thanks for the pics. Looking forward to seeing the back-9. You have inspired me to get up to Reay when I am back in Dornoch next May.

Anyone else think the par-3 seventh hole at Reay is similar to the famous par-3 "Calamity" at Royal Portrush? (long par-3, trouble short right, bailout left)

"(Didn't the Queen Mother -- may she rest in peace Smiley -- holiday near Wick for a while?)"   

Phil McDade -

Yes, the Queen Mother actually owned the Castle of Mey on the north coast of Scotland, 7 miles west of John O'Groats. The Castle has been maintained as it was when she was there and it is one of the nicer tourist attractions in the Highlands.

DT

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 12:24:37 PM »
As modest as this course is, it is still better than anything you might find in the Odenwald :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

John Mayhugh

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 12:33:09 PM »
Emil,
A really good profile of the course.  More than just pics, you included enough description to understand the holes as well as some insight towards improvement. 

I really like the looks of the 4th green site.  That dune is massive.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 12:36:17 PM »
(Didn't the Queen Mother -- may she rest in peace :) -- holiday near Wick for a while?)

Nice photo-tour Emil. I'm looking forward to seeing the back-9.

Like Phil, I'm fond of quiet out of the way clubs such as Reay and have previously viewed another photo-tour of of the course posted by Mitch a few years ago, - http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49844.0.html - and thought it looked full of promise.

From your photos Emil, the mowing lines don't seem to enhance the look of the holes/course. They seem somewhat unimaginative. Would that be a fair statement or am I doing RGC a disservice? Holes 4-7 seem like a very fine stretch however.

Phil, the QM bought the Castle of Mey on the north coast of Caithness as an abandoned semi-ruin in the 1950's and restored it. It's located north of Wick, east of Thurso, not far from John O'Groats. Reay GC is about 25 miles west of CoM. It's a long way from anywhere up that far north, but stunningly beautiful and the sea is soooo clear. Thurso is a surfing spot, some kind of special offshore reef that kicks up the waves.

In this Bing sat-map Reay GC is to the far left, Thurso in the middle and Castle of Mey to the far right  http://binged.it/1m0oDuT - zoom in for the course/castle.

In the area tthere is also Thurso GC's inland 18-hole course - http://www.thursogolfclub.com/page-0 - anyone played it?

atb
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 12:50:29 PM by Thomas Dai »

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 12:46:46 PM »
I seem to recall there was a large estate property for sale in the Highlands within the past couple of years that included the lease on the Reay course.

Here is the property I was thinking of. It did own the golf course.

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Estate-in-Dounreay-legal-wrangle-goes-on-the-market-29062012.htm

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-38465159.html
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 01:19:38 PM by David_Tepper »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 04:48:20 PM »
Hi Emil,

Glad you and Oskar enjoyed your game. I hope he didn't donate as many balls to the rough up there as he did here ;)

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 06:55:15 AM »
Thank you for letting us see these pictures.

Emil Weber

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 05:31:35 PM »
David,

That should be a good idea. As you approach Reay though don't be shocked. Coming from the east you will pass a massive power plant just a few miles before Reay. Coming from West is even more shocking: everything west of Reay is untouched, beatiful landscape and then you drive over a hill and you can see the village and the massive power station in the distance, thinking this is not the same region you were in 2 minutes ago. Luckily you can hardly see it from the course. If you travel the area, make sure you go as far west as Durness, it's a fantastic drive aswell.

I haven't seen the 14th at Portrush in person, but I think that's a fair statement. Reay's 7th might play a bit more uphill than "Calamity", but perhaps someone who's played both can comment on that?

Ulrich,

I have never claimed anything else! I would happily take Reay over 95% of the courses in our area..
Did you get to play Reay while you were up there?

Thomas,

I didn't really notice the mowing lines but you do have a point. Reviewing the photos it is most obvious at the 2nd hole, but to be fair that is the least interesting part of the property. On the holes that are built on more interesting land the mowing lines are not really an issue, so for the sake of consistency I wouldn't change them into something too fancy at 2 or any other of the less interesting holes.

Jon,

without the balls you gave us we certainly wouldn't have survived the trip, although Reay was pretty forgiving.
We did save a few at Brora though, because Oscar was so pissed off by his game after Dornoch that decided to caddie for me :D We were a good team though, shot 69   8).

Back 9 will follow shortly..

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 07:45:48 PM »
Emil:

A fine tour.  You should offer some of your pics to the club for their web site ... I was considering going up there last year, but their own pics were not as attractive as yours, and I didn't make the drive.  I convinced Gil Hanse to make the trip 25 years ago when he was on his scholarship overseas, on the basis that it was one of the few courses I wished I'd seen but hadn't.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 08:27:37 PM »
Emil,

when I was up there I opted for Wick and Durness, so I missed Reay.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 01:41:02 AM »
Emil

Have another thanks.   

The phrase 'millionaire's golf' has never sat happily with me, I dont want a manicured parkland to myself.   Some of my best experiences of playing alone have been in a remote place with (slightly) scruffy edges where I can stop and take in views whenever I choose to.  I will add Reay to the list.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Emil Weber

Re: *Reay. Back Nine up*
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 07:10:43 AM »
Apologies for the delay...

Here come the 2nd nine at Reay GC, on the north coast of Scotland.
With holes 5-9 occupying the most interesting and beautiful stretch of the property along the bay, the course now mostly moves up the hill onto less dramatic property. While the back 9 cannot quite keep up with what has preceded them, two of the strongest holes on the course come at 16/17 and manage to get the balance of the course just right.

10 is the first hole to climb up the hill and plays much more uphill than it looks in this picture. It's fairly straight forward par 4 of 351 yards but the approach to the crowned green is not the easiest of shots

Looking back

Next comes another par 4 at 406 yards. The tee shot at 11 is typical for what i mentioned in the first post: the semi-rough is shared with 8,12 and 13, there is absolutely no way you can loose, or even search for your ball more than a few seconds. This is nice is terms of pace of play and your score, but there are a few too many of these rather uninteresting tee shots at Reay.

The approach makes up for it all though. It plays uphill towards the stick and from there down to a classic linksy punchbowl. How will you play the shot? No shortage of options..

The green is actually quite large, but the watchful observer has spotted today's pin location from the 8th tee

Over from the 12th tee, left side of the green.

The tee shot at 12, another 350-yard par 4. Out to where all the seagulls are taking a sunbath is the ideal drive.

the 2nd is semi-blind up the hill to this green.

2 bunkers are waiting right behind the green, 10th green in the back

13 plays back down the hill and at 305 yards can be reachable. The green is blind from the tee just below the stick in the distance. There is loads of space for safe drive right, and going for the green can be fatal as I had to experience...
Tee shot

From just short right of the green. The more timid your tee shot, the less visible the green and bunkers on the approach.

14 is the 2nd and last par 5 on the course. I didn't capture the tee shot which plays uphill to probably the highest point of the course
This photo is looking back to the tee.

from the top of the hill, where the ideal tee shot will land, the hole plays downhill and tight against OOB on the left hand side.
This bunker 20-30 yards short right of the green is one of the most well placed on the course.

Not the most usual of hazards on a links course...

The par 3 15th, 136 yards, slightly uphill. Again, this hole would really benefit if some of the ground through the green was given more definition

The front part of the green is flat, but surrounded by bunkers, the back of the green is safe but nicely contoured

Rather unexpectedly, the 16th is one of the, if not the strongest hole on the course. It plays 314 yards downhill to a split fairway along OOB:

Laying up short of any danger is the safest tee shot, but the second is blind and long. The left portion is the shortest line, but beeing squeezed between rough and OOB it is more reserved for a mishit than a real option. The best drive reaches the plateau on the right for a good angle in visibility of the green but has to skirt a deep bunker right and a rough grassed drop-off left.

Right of the fairway, ~ 125 yards in

Approach from left portion of fairway

A look over the green which slopes significantly front-to-back to coplicate things even further. Ther is another bunker just short of the green which makes an approach from the right even more attractive.

17 is a strong hole, too. The fairway is slightly angled from the tee and suggests you take the shortest route possible. This very misleading though becaus the left half of the fairway is where you have the most level stance and best view of the green.

The further right you go, the more difficult the 2nd shot.

Onwards to what is certainly the most interesting green at Reay! Of course, the day didn't pass without 2-3 minutes of bad weather...

The 18th is another uphill par 3 at 162 yards and plays to a two-tiered green. Not an easy par!

Over the last green from the left:

Off to Durness...

Emil Weber

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 07:14:23 AM »
Tom,

thanks for joining. I thought the pictures on their website looked quite inviting, maybe they have a new one.. It really is far away, but combined with Durness it's really worth the trip if you can find enough time one day!

Everyone,

how do I change the name of the topic to something like "back nine up" so that the new name appears on the first page of the discussion group?

Cheers
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 07:25:31 AM by Emil Weber »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 07:57:03 AM »

Everyone,

how do I change the name of the topic to something like "back nine up" so that the new name appears on the first page of the discussion group?

Cheers

Emil

try going back to your first post and editing that heading...
Let's make GCA grate again!

Emil Weber

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 08:01:29 AM »
Thanks Tony!

Steve Wilson

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 09:53:38 PM »
Emil,

Congratulations on making it to Reay and creating this photo essay.  I've told anyone who asked that the stretch of holes 4-7 are the best on the course, but I do think that the two parallel par fours of 11 and 13 make the back nine very interesting.  Playing downhill to what are essentially blind greens makes for some serious quirk.  I agree the sixteenth is a very strong hole, but again there's some serious quirk there as well.  

I have never been long enough to consider trying to drive that green, but if my recollection is correct, there's a ton of peril surrounding it which makes it a handsome risk/reward hole.

The fourteenth is a very intriguing par five for the hitter of average or short length.  As you said that bunker short and right may be the best placed one on the entire course.  It would play havoc with a long hitter's second or a short hitter's third (or fourth).

Alas, I can find nothing much of interest to say about the fifteenth.  I say, alas, because it was the name of this hold "Viking's Grave" that convinced me to make the trip to Reay in the first place.  I keep hoping to encounter a local who knows why it's called that.  I only saw one local there this year in my two trips, and he was in the parking lot.  Otherwise, I noted in the book that on my first round this year I had been
preceded by a player from London, and one from Yellow Knife in Canada.  So with me from West Virginia and you and your brother from Germany, perhaps Reay should be renamed Reay International Golf Links.

If I were to say to you that I think the front is the best nine because it has the best holes, 4-7 and 9, but the back is equally interesting because of the quirky greens on 11, 13, and 18, and the approach on 14, and the overall merits of 16 and 17, what would be your reaction?

One last random firing of the synapses.  I think we should consider a GCA event at Reay.  Due to the dearth of play, we could be assured of starting a 8 am and having the course to ourselves and thus would once and for all settle whether or not GCAers can play an official event quickly.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 09:55:57 PM by Steve Wilson »
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Emil Weber

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2014, 06:15:49 AM »
Steve,

Thanks for your reply.

11 is indeed a great example of using the ground in such a simple way to make it an exciting hole instead of what would have been a straight forward par4, and the approach to 13 is really fun, too.

In general Reay didn't come across to me as overly quirky though, compared to other Scottish Links. But enough to keep things interesting for sure!

16 would only be reachable downwind - but I think it plays rather into the prevailing wind anyway. There are two bunkers there, and heavy rough short of the green, but I was most surprised by how much it slopes front-to-back, so it's a really tricky approach and yes, lots of peril!

14 can definitely keep up with the other 5s on the course. It's one of the more attractive tee shots on the course and the blind 2nd (for longer hitters) between OOB and that bunker downihll to the green is a thrilling shot. The first time around I hit an almost perfect 4iron downwind, and once over the hill saw it is a 15foot eagle putt. The second time I was intimidated by knowing there's a bunker and how close OOB is, hit it in the bunker, topped it over the green into OOB and picked up the ball after 7 or 8 shots...

Never thought much about the name "Vikings Grave", but does raise some interesting questions.. If you do find someone who knows why it's called that please let me know ;)

I guess anyone's first reaction would be that the front 9 is simply more memorable because of holes 5-9 and therefore better. But the more I think the course through I am pretty sure that the back 9 are more consistent in overall quality and architecturally more interesting. If you had to play one of those 9s for the rest of your life, the 2nd nine would be the choice because of its varied challenges. That being said, with holes 6 and 7 being potential standout holes for ANY course, I'll give you the safety answer that it would be like choosing between one of your kids and couldn't pick one  :P .

Combined with Durness, that would make for one interesting BUDA, and with some pre-/post golf around Dornoch, why not  ;D .

Cheers

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back