News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stephen Davis

Re: Ordering information for The Confidential Guide
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2014, 11:11:48 AM »
Thank you. I just ordered the first volume.

Is there any chance of requesting a signed copy?

The plan is for me to sign ALL of the pre-ordered books before we ship them, so that people don't have to ship them back and forth. 

This may be biting off more than I can chew, I really don't know.

Thank you for signing the books before they are sent out. The gesture is very much appreciated!
Agreed! Thank you!

Bill Seitz

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2014, 11:21:12 AM »
Bill:

Yes, we will have to contact you in a year to update things, if the date on your card is expired.  I guess we'll probably have to contract everyone anyway to double-check changes of address.

Thanks, Tom.  Order sent.

Ash Towe

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2014, 01:47:22 PM »
Ran,

Thanks for the updated information.

John Kirk

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2014, 02:11:48 PM »
I hope the fledgling Renaissance Books publishing can handle the crush of orders, as The Confidential Guide series is sure to become the Harry Potter of golf architecture books.  Get ready, Tom, here it comes.

I bought The Confidential Guide a long time ago, when it first appeared on the shelves of the local Barnes & Noble store.  One of those periodic visits to the bookstore where I perused the music and sports books, looking for something new.  Picked it up and read it for a few minutes, then bought it.  That was before Bandon and Pacific Dunes, and before joining GolfClubAtlas.  I like review books.  It's important that these types of books have a sense of humor.

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2014, 10:10:09 PM »
For signed copy fanatics such as myself, the plan is as follows (Applies to US only):

Step 1: BUY BOOK(s)
Step 2: Ship book(s) to Mr. Doak with polite note asking for signature. Include paid return shipping label and packaging.
Step 3: Wait 60-90 days for return depending on location of Mr. Doak.
Step 4: Ship book(s) to Mr. Morrissett with polite note asking for signature. Include paid return shipping label and packaging.
Step 5: Wait 60-90 days for return depending on how polite and/or well written your letter was.
Step 6: Ship book(s) to Mr. Oliver with polite note asking for signature. Include paid return shipping label and packaging.
Step 7: Wait 60-90 days for return. THIS MAN LIVES IN AUSTRALIA PEOPLE.
Step 8: Ship book(s) to Mr. Nishijima with polite note asking for signature. Include paid return shipping label and packaging.
Step 9: Wait 60-90 days for return (maybe sooner, if you get creative on shipping labels included to Mr. Oliver)
Step 10: At this point, Volume 2 will be released, rinse and repeat as directed above.
Step 11: Volume 3...and on and on.

Think of it as a quarterly conference call. There is always something to look forward to.

Or, maybe they will consider going the bookplate route like the Freakonomics guys:

http://freakonomics.com/2007/09/12/a-bookplate-announcement/

Just a thought...

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2014, 10:09:51 AM »
   Just ordered the full set, can't wait to sit back with the first volume , the fireplace humming and a full glass of Bushmills neat. Life can be pretty good sometimes.
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Steve Salmen

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2014, 11:05:33 AM »
I just ordered a copy of the first book.  Is there concern that at the bottom of the confirmation page, it says: Amount Paid $0?  It did give me a confirmation number.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2014, 11:18:10 AM »
I just ordered a copy of the first book.  Is there concern that at the bottom of the confirmation page, it says: Amount Paid $0?  It did give me a confirmation number.

I suspect they will bill when shipped. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2014, 02:27:52 PM »

I suspect they will bill when shipped. 

Correct.  There are laws about that sort of thing.

Ryan Coles

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2014, 02:51:04 PM »
Will there be a kindle edition?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2014, 03:41:11 PM »
Will there be a kindle edition?

No ... or at least not for several years.

Scott Stambaugh

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2014, 08:28:13 PM »
Tom or Ran-

Before placing my order- for those of us with P.O. Boxes and no mail delivery to the house, do you plan to use the postal service in the US, or another carrier?  Thanks.

Scott

Tom_Doak

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2014, 08:40:33 PM »
Tom or Ran-

Before placing my order- for those of us with P.O. Boxes and no mail delivery to the house, do you plan to use the postal service in the US, or another carrier?  Thanks.

Scott

Scott:

We've been studying our best options.  I will get back to you with an answer on Tuesday. 

Adam_Messix

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2014, 12:08:48 AM »
Scott

They do not deliver mail to our address here so I'm required to have a p.o. box.  I usually include both street and p.o. box addresses in case an item comes fed ex, ups, or mail. 

Li Na

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2014, 07:42:00 AM »
I will have to get back to you all about shipping costs for overseas orders next week.  It was being explored while I've been away.  Just returned home tonight.

Just as an informal survey, would you rather I ship the book the least expensive way [and wait for a while] or have you pay for shipping?

Tom,

Is it possible for international booking?

Li Na

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2014, 10:19:25 AM »
Excellent!  Ordered the entire set.  Thank you all for compiling the new edition and sharing it with us.  My initial copy was permanently borrowed; will be great to have the reference again.

John Cowden

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2014, 10:27:38 AM »
Just in time for final details for September 2015 visit to Northern Ireland.  Looking forward...

Ruediger Meyer

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2014, 02:22:04 PM »
Re: Fast or cheap international shipping.

It probably depends on the difference between the amounts. If it is 10 or 60 I'd prefer cheap. If it is 10 or 20, get if to me asap  ;D

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2014, 11:19:32 PM »
I hope the fledgling Renaissance Books publishing can handle the crush of orders, as The Confidential Guide series is sure to become the Harry Potter of golf architecture books.  Get ready, Tom, here it comes.

I bought The Confidential Guide a long time ago, when it first appeared on the shelves of the local Barnes & Noble store.  One of those periodic visits to the bookstore where I perused the music and sports books, looking for something new.  Picked it up and read it for a few minutes, then bought it.  That was before Bandon and Pacific Dunes, and before joining GolfClubAtlas.  I like review books.  It's important that these types of books have a sense of humor.
I'm doing this one year at a time, in my dotterage. They are up to order #353

Andrew Hastie

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2014, 03:40:16 AM »
I'm really looking forward to ordering and receiving the book. Please let us know when the international ordering is possible.   

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2014, 05:18:34 AM »
Looking forward to the book. Is it possible/cheaper to send multiple copies to the UK? I am pretty sure, Ben, Booney will want a copy, I will want 4 GB and I's, we might sell a few in the shop also. Perhaps ship 1 box.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Mark Pearce

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2014, 06:31:15 AM »
Looking forward to the book. Is it possible/cheaper to send multiple copies to the UK? I am pretty sure, Ben, Booney will want a copy, I will want 4 GB and I's, we might sell a few in the shop also. Perhaps ship 1 box.
I have also already ordered, so that's another UK one and I imagine several others (Tony?) will as well.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Cristian

« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2014, 06:53:47 AM »
I regularly buy books from the US. International shipping costs for one medium-sized book are usually as follows to mainland europe (Netherlands) from the US:

delivery 2 days (priority): 30 USD
delivery 2 weeks (expedited): 12.50 USD
delivery 4-6 weeks (standard): 8.00 USD

If this is similar I would like to opt for the expedited delivery option.

If shipping and handling is cheaper when ordering several copies simultaneously, than that would be interesting as I would know some takers here in the Netherlands as well, or it would make for a great birthday present to friends!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2014, 08:50:37 AM »
I regularly buy books from the US. International shipping costs for one medium-sized book are usually as follows to mainland europe (Netherlands) from the US:

delivery 2 days (priority): 30 USD
delivery 2 weeks (expedited): 12.50 USD
delivery 4-6 weeks (standard): 8.00 USD

If this is similar I would like to opt for the expedited delivery option.

If shipping and handling is cheaper when ordering several copies simultaneously, than that would be interesting as I would know some takers here in the Netherlands as well, or it would make for a great birthday present to friends!

Cristian:

Who does the shipping at the prices you mention above?

U.S. international air mail quote for the book is $40.  Fed Ex prices were more than the price of the book.  We are doing our best to sort it out, as I have about twenty free copies to deliver to the UK, in addition to people who order it.  I would hope to sell 200+ books in the UK eventually.

For certain, shipping and handling prices will go down when we can box up +/- 10 books at a time.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2014, 09:06:14 AM »
I can look at a box to Ireland also if you wish... I'm sure I could put a few copies in to Dublin book stores as well as distributing to others...

Let me know in due course...

Ally

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back