News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Sean Arble's superb A Dream Course II New
« on: September 08, 2014, 05:47:17 AM »
When I posted “A Dream Course” back in June, I threw down the ‘ice-bucket’ challenge to Sean Arble to come up with a UK version of lesser known courses. Happily, he accepted and his compilation is now posted under Best of Golf/Great Golf Holes/A Dream Course II. Read it but be careful: You likely will end up hating  ;) Sean because he has figured out how to live immersed in ‘authentic golf’ while 99.8% of the rest of us are surrounded by a much more expensive and infinitely more diluted form of the game.  I am fourteen years away from retiring to England so I am particularly bitter as well as green with envy.

Though his ‘course’ would be a thrill to play the rest of one’s life, the bizarre thing is this par 68, sub- 5,900 yard course is the EXACT antithesis of what has been built since WWII. That’s how messed up golf has become. To paraphrase Doak, ‘Pity no one asks me to build a course that they would actually enjoy playing from the back tees.’ Anyway, enough grumbling … time to celebrate Sean’s selections.  Big & mighty, short & tiny, his course offers a huge range of holes from the likes of Minchinhampton, Harborne, Whittington, Broadway, Coldfield, Temple and Cleeve Hill! It’s the exact sort of mix that will keep you guessing as you scroll down his list and the glory and diversity of the English and Welsh country sides are on full display. I couldn’t wait to receive each subsequent photo because I never knew what would come next. Suffice to say, you won’t find a generically bunkered hole or anything bland and formulaic (but technically solid) from our Sean! Think instead of Punchbowl greens and blind par 3s.

At the end, Sean throws down the gauntlet to the Emperor to come up with his all California course. Now that might be the one Dream Course that could rival Sean’s! Stay tuned for Dream Course III (and hopefully IV, V, etc. Indeed, Sean is even considering an all-Cotswold compilation as an eventual follow-up).  Regardless, Sean’s must-read A Dream Course II is exhibit 1A for what I have long contended: England is the best country in the world for golf.

Best,
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 11:52:35 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Thomas Dai

Re: Sean Arble's superb A Dream Coure II New
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 07:00:38 AM »
Splendid. I have played many of these holes and look forward to playing the others. A cumulative distance of 5,781 yds, a damn fine length for most of us.

The 8th at Broadway over the 8th on The Channel at Burnham & Berrow. Close call?

Well done Sean.

atb
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 05:47:22 AM by Thomas Dai »

Bill_McBride

Re: Sean Arble's superb A Dream Coure II
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 08:58:53 AM »
Am I the only other American who has played Broadway?   It was purely accidental 25 years ago on vacation in the Cotswolds with my wife.   The pro was kind enough to loan me a set of clubs.  Wonderful front nine wrapped around the escarpment with a series of scary holes like the one Sean selected.  Miss left there and your ball winds up about a mile away!

Great list, Sean.  Punchbowl greens are wonderful.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 12:59:29 PM »
This is one interesting course.  I think Sean cheated just a bit, though, as he's made sure we've heard of some of these courses already!

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 01:14:35 PM »
Why is this article in "Best of Golf" and yet Bernard Darwin's Round of Golf Courses (as compiled by Thomas MacWood) has to dwell in the "In My Opinion" category?

In general it seems that all the new articles go into "Best of Golf" per default, irrespective of their content. I was under the impression that golf architectural content would always go to "In My Opinion", whereas the new category was meant for "other things Golf".

There's a lot under "In My Opinion" that would also deserve the "Best" label. As it is now, a few hand-picked essays are showcased under "Best of Golf", while many, that are just as good or better, are filed away under "In My Opinion".

Ulrich
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 01:16:31 PM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

David Davis

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 01:41:14 PM »
Sean,

Fun read, your enthusiasm shines through. If you build it, they will come!!!

So will I. However, what I won't likely come to play all these holes if I have to play all those courses. But, never say never.

Some of your other favorites I'd prefer to see first.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Tommy Naccarato

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 07:30:30 PM »
Arbs,
Challenge accepted!

It's going to be a bit though, as I'm going to have to make some trips up North to visit Kevin O'Reilly, Gib Papazian and others!  It's going to be almost impossible to defeat that charm and quirk. I'm going to not go down without a fight!   :)

Jim Nugent

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 01:18:24 AM »
Sean's course looks out of this world.  Waiting on Tommy's with great anticipation.  Curious what Bill Schulz might come up with, given his top 100+ achievement. 

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 05:38:44 PM »
I be loving me some Sean A. Motown's native son.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 02:48:43 PM »
Bad news Sean. After Buda, the 2nd at Perranporth is now well known. :D

And it's a cracker! Where else can you hit your second onto the green of a par 5 and spend 5 minutes looking for it. (Ask Lou Duran about that. ;) )
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back