News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

Re: Have You Seen Shoreacres Lately?
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2016, 11:19:30 AM »
It's probably worth noting that Joel's aerial, posted above, was taken before the tree removal.

I love Shoreacres and it has only gotten better w/ the tree removal. Curious why the trees between 1 and 18 haven't been thinned out or removed?

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2016, 07:27:05 PM »
Interesting all the love for Shore Acres. I got to play it several times at bank outings in Chicago, loved about 3-4 holes but never understood the outpouring of praise.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Nigel Islam

« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2016, 10:25:38 PM »
Interesting all the love for Shore Acres. I got to play it several times at bank outings in Chicago, loved about 3-4 holes but never understood the outpouring of praise.

It's one of my favorites. I just loved the flow of the course, the challenging greens and of course the stretch from 10-14 is just world class. I definitely compare SA favorably to most of the other highly ranked courses I've played.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2016, 10:40:13 PM »

I think I get where you're coming from. The course used to be dumbed down by overpopulation of trees and obfuscation of its essential design characteristics. It had the ravines and five holes that stood out. The minimalist redo has taken all of the flab off the old gal and turned her into a bit of a quarter horse. It's nothing like the course of 20 years ago and it seems like its old self. Worth a trip, IMHO. I'm sure you can get on!  Play Old Elm while you're at it. You might need smelling salts. It ain't the 80's anymore.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jason Way

« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2016, 12:03:02 AM »
For those who haven't seen it lately, tree removal is not the only improvement.  They have also expanded the greens and fairways back to their original sizes and shapes.  If you look at aerials of the fairway grassing lines prior to Brian Palmer's arrival, they had become mundane.  Tee to green, the course is now filled with a certain subtle artistry that only results from loving attention to detail. 

The property is simply magnificent, as is Raynor's routing around it.  With every tweak, the blend of natural beauty and design brilliance is being more fully revealed.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Jeff Schley

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2019, 03:12:18 PM »
Anyone played there this year? Still pruning the trees?
 I played there almost 20 years ago and was my first top 100 course ever played I believe. May get back this summer and remember the ravines certainly, but moreso for the trees that were crowding some holes.  Glad to hear they thinned those out.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

George Myers

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2019, 03:55:09 PM »
I'm sure others with more knowledge will chime in.

I can offer that I played there for the first time last fall, and did not feel that there were any areas of significant tree encroachment on the holes.

Amazing property and holes.

mark chalfant

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2019, 04:25:20 PM »
Recaptured green surfaces and superb (extensive) tree mgt.

Firm fairways and greens, lovely long vistas

SA is a classic masterpiece....    so run don't walk if are invited to play at Lake Bluff !!

p.s. my last visit was July 2018

Jon Adkins

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2019, 04:48:03 PM »
I played it about a month ago for the first time and was blown away. The playing corridors were wide and I never felt like trees impeded play. You could see where they have expanded fairways, especially on No. 14 down the left side. Plus there were a handful of trees down the left fairway of No. 12 set to be removed as well. The green expansions and green-to-bunker transitions were outstanding. Special place.

Jim Tang

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2019, 07:02:12 PM »
I was very lucky to play Shoreacres last August, my only time on the property.  It was a fantastic experience.  The turf was the best I saw all of last year.  Wonderful experience.

PCCraig

« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2019, 04:26:42 PM »
I'll be down there at the end of the month for their M/G. Always a treat.

Hard to imagine they have many more trees to take down. The view from #5 back to the clubhouse is an open (and special) vista now.

The turf there is as good as it gets for a non-links course. Rock hard firm and fast.
H.P.S.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2019, 01:13:33 PM »
Played today and was in great shape.  Not as firm and fast as typical according to my host as they had so much rain this spring. Loved being able to land short and they actually hold. Host drove 17 putted for eagle.  Another bonus is being 10 or so degrees cooler being on the lake.👍
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

PCCraig

« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2019, 08:29:42 PM »
Played Shoreacres a few times last weekend.

Course was in terrific shape but a bit softer than recent years I think due to the 5" of rain they had the weekend prior. Still firm and fast by nearly any definition which shows how well the course drains.

They keep making improvements as well, the newest ones I noticed was the new much wider 5th fairway as well as the 2nd fairway mowed into the 3rd tee and fairway.

Always a treat to play down there!

H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back