News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Have You Seen Shoreacres Lately?
« on: September 07, 2014, 10:36:55 PM »
I have been consulting at Shoreacres since 1993.  I was there again in the spring of 2013, to walk around with the new superintendent Brian Palmer, and make some recommendations on grassing lines and bunkering and trees and so forth.  Honestly, I thought the course was pretty well restored and there wasn't much for him to do, other than improve the playing surfaces.

I went back this morning, after a bit of protest, because they wanted me to see how they'd been doing with my recommendations.  And I was just blown away.  It looks absolutely amazing.  They've added 250 yards in new back tees.  They've expanded the greens out to nearly six acres!, and expanded short grass around the greens so if you play for the edge and miss, the ball gets away.  They rebuilt every bunker, sharpening the banks and fixing the front ends so they can mow fairway right down into the bunkers.  They did every single thing I talked about in one year, and then some, without any direction from us in the meantime.

If you haven't seen Shoreacres lately, you won't believe it.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Have You Seen Shoreacres Lately?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 10:41:50 PM »
It's private. I stopped by once and bought a shirt. Very nice people.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 11:21:19 PM »
Tom,  Ran's 2007 writeup says this about the restoration and the greens in particular:

"Shoreacres is as original a Seth Raynor design as exists. Green Keeper Tim Davis has been at Shoreacres for over twenty years and knows his course as well as any Green Keeper in the country. Working in collaboration with Tom Doak’s Renaissance Design Firm, they have thoughtfully restored every Raynor feature possible to its original state.  Over time, the greens have been returned to their initial size, in some cases increasing the green size by more than one third."

Did your comment about the expanded green sizes apply to work since 2013 or cumulatively?  In the excerpt above, it seems that the greens were restored to their original size in 2007.

"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Daryl David

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 11:29:56 PM »
I will get the opportunity to see Shoreacres on Wednesday.  Can't wait to see the changes.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 12:41:35 AM »
They've added 250 yards in new back tees.

a good thing?

Frank Pont

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 01:51:25 AM »
I walked Shoreacres last spring, funny enough the same day you were at the course Tom.

It was by far my favorite course I saw in the Chicago area followed by Old Elm and Chicago GC. It was clear that the course had made great strides over the years, but still had work to do in the area of tree removal, fairway width and more short grass around the greens. This now has happened, by the club itself, which is great.  Why? Because it proves that many other classic courses in the US can do the same, have no excuse any more to not do it (kudos to TD for being key in the process)

Good example is Milwaukee, another client of TD. Way too many trees in play, fairways too narrow and lack of short grass around the greens. When are they (and others) going to follow Shoreacres?

« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 01:55:30 AM by Frank Pont »

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 07:08:06 AM »
Am fortunate that I have over 10 friends who are members at SA and I played there a few times this summer. Having played it myriad times over the past 10 years, I echo Tom's comments. SA has indeed reached new heights.

The most recent work was discussed on another thread here.

The course is definitely more challenging now as it plays faster, firmer with greens very closely integrated with bunkers, no collars so approach shots must be given more attention. Tim Davis is no longer the green keeper there as SA hired a very young guy who I believe came from Merion.
This has had a major impact on the project.

My two nit-picking comments would be:

1. The added distance to the course comes almost all from lengthened par 4s and some are now brutal. For example, the 5th was once 444yards and now plays 491 from the back. The 7th was approx 420 and is now 478. The 10th, a hole whose green was hard to hit before (like Road Hole at TOC), has now been stretched from 450 to closer to 480.

2. I think, but don't know for sure, that Wadsworth did a lot of the work and - to me - some of the bunker replacements (#1, 9, 14, 18) have lost their "Raynor-ness" as the shapers did not restore them well at all. I have seen this first hand at our course where Wadsworth shaped the practice bunkers while George Waters and Tony Russell shaped the bunkers on course. What a difference!!

SA used to be a bucolic old school course with incredible architectural heritage. Now it has some teeth to it and plays tougher. It is also one of the most beautiful settings of any golf course in the Midwest with topographical interest and one of the prettiest clubs in the country.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 07:54:22 AM »
Am fortunate that I have over 10 friends who are members at SA and I played there a few times this summer. Having played it myriad times over the past 10 years, I echo Tom's comments. SA has indeed reached new heights.

The most recent work was discussed on another thread here.

The course is definitely more challenging now as it plays faster, firmer with greens very closely integrated with bunkers, no collars so approach shots must be given more attention. Tim Davis is no longer the green keeper there as SA hired a very young guy who I believe came from Merion.
This has had a major impact on the project.

My two nit-picking comments would be:

1. The added distance to the course comes almost all from lengthened par 4s and some are now brutal. For example, the 5th was once 444yards and now plays 491 from the back. The 7th was approx 420 and is now 478. The 10th, a hole whose green was hard to hit before (like Road Hole at TOC), has now been stretched from 450 to closer to 480.

2. I think, but don't know for sure, that Wadsworth did a lot of the work and - to me - some of the bunker replacements (#1, 9, 14, 18) have lost their "Raynor-ness" as the shapers did not restore them well at all. I have seen this first hand at our course where Wadsworth shaped the practice bunkers while George Waters and Tony Russell shaped the bunkers on course. What a difference!!

SA used to be a bucolic old school course with incredible architectural heritage. Now it has some teeth to it and plays tougher. It is also one of the most beautiful settings of any golf course in the Midwest with topographical interest and one of the prettiest clubs in the country.

Ian:

1.  The long par-4's which are no longer for great players are exactly where courses need length.  #5 and #7 [as examples] were ball-busters in 1916, more than they are now even with the added length.  Not many members will play those half dozen black tees, but the guys who used to complain that Shoreacres was pushover-short will have to reassess or cry "uncle".

2.  With all due respect to George and Tony, both of whom do great work, Shoreacres' bunkers are not like yours.  Tom Shapland, who consulted at the club used to work for Wadsworth, but I believe Landscapes Unlimited actually did the work.  And I thought they did a fine job.  Not every Raynor bunker was a rectangle.

3.  That very young guy over there is 29, and he can grow grass.  Superintendents all over Chicago should be hoping that their members can't get on to see Shoreacres.

Did your comment about the expanded green sizes apply to work since 2013 or cumulatively?  In the excerpt above, it seems that the greens were restored to their original size in 2007.

Kevin:

They went out last fall and took it to 120% ... hanging off the green pads and getting all the way back in all the corners.  It is remarkably different.  It kind of looks like Old Macdonald now, and the greens are almost as big, which amazed me, and I've been going there for a very long time.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 09:20:45 AM »
I was rained out last week but hope the rain check is soon in the offing!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Bill McKinley

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 09:26:02 AM »
I'm actually playing there tomorrow! Can't wait. First time for me but two others that I'm playing with have played there a few years ago. Super excited!! Thanks for posting Tom!
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Stephen Northrup

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 12:29:15 PM »
Tom, I played there in early June and the only obvious thing they were still working on was mowing lines -- widening the fairways on a few holes. I definitely recall the Redan playing more "redan-ish" due to green expansion/firming (only the second time I'd been to Shoreacres so my understanding of before/after may not be as sharp as others). Considering the winter that Chicago experienced, it is impressive they were able to achieve your recommendations in one year.

JR Potts

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 01:09:57 PM »
I will be there tomorrow.

Patrick_Sisk,_CGCS

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 08:27:08 AM »
Obviously Frank Pont has not seen Milwaukee within the past 10 years. 

I could go on to describe all improvements on every hole but this thread is about Shore Acres.  Perhaps a revisit to Ran’s review is in order.  http://www.golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/milwaukee-country-club/

Frank Pont

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 08:41:41 AM »

I walked it June 2013

J_ Crisham

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 09:05:36 AM »

I walked it June 2013
Frank,   Where would you specifically remove trees or widen fairways at Milwaukee CC?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 09:06:42 AM »
Thread jack alert.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

J_ Crisham

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 09:22:12 AM »
Thread jack alert.
Good call- I will take it off line/PM

Phil McDade

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 09:40:35 AM »
Thread jack alert.
Good call- I will take it off line/PM

Or we could continue on the "1 round in Milwaukee" thread currently gaining steam ;)

Bart Bradley

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 03:46:06 PM »
Played. shoreacres today.  Beautifully presented.  A testament that flat ground can be made into interesting golf and that bold features can be seamlessly integrated into otherwise less interesting land forms.

Bart

Stephen Davis

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 03:56:31 PM »
I had the privilege of playing there last year and absolutely loved it! I can't wait to see it after the work they have done.

JR Potts

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 05:26:05 PM »
Played. shoreacres today.  Beautifully presented.  A testament that flat ground can be made into interesting golf and that bold features can be seamlessly integrated into otherwise less interesting land forms.

Bart

Probably walked right by you.

In my opinion Shoreacres is the best golf course in Illinois.  The added back tees have really added some difficulty to the course.  I wouldn't say the course has been made significantly harder but I think I hit more 4 irons today than I do when playing Butler, Medinah or Olympia Fields. 

Of particular interest is the expansion of the greens over the shoulders of the green pads.  Coupled with the firm conditions (hats off the super), shots around the greens have taken on a new dimension over there.

While I think the two or three weak par 4s keep the ranking of this course down a bit, the other 14 propel this course into another stratosphere. 

Extra credit for the chants of the cadets at the nearby naval base as well.

Tim Martin

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 05:51:37 PM »

Bart

In my opinion Shoreacres is the best golf course in Illinois.  The added back tees have really added some difficulty to the course.  I wouldn't say the course has been made significantly harder but I think I hit more 4 irons today than I do when playing Butler, Medinah or Olympia Fields. 

Of particular interest is the expansion of the greens over the shoulders of the green pads.  Coupled with the firm conditions (hats off the super), shots around the greens have taken on a new dimension over there.

While I think the two or three weak par 4s keep the ranking of this course down a bit, the other 14 propel this course into another stratosphere. 

That is high praise indeed. Wow!!!!

PCCraig

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 05:58:24 PM »

Bart

JR,

Which of the par-4's do you find weak?
H.P.S.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 06:08:54 PM »
Tom: In anticipation of your upcoming volumes of the Confidential Guide - where does it rank in so far as Raynor courses and particularly in comparison to Yeamans Hall.

George Freeman

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 06:09:43 PM »

......I think I hit more 4 irons today than I do when playing Butler, Medinah or Olympia Fields...  

It should be noted that Ryan hits his 4-iron as far as most of us hit our drivers.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back