News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Geology of the Surrey/Berkshire heath and surrounding areas
« on: September 07, 2014, 05:08:38 AM »
Brian Sheehy asked some good questions about the soil composition of the courses to the south of London, and how this compares to the Parisian heath courses. Here, as best I am able, is a primer.

Most of the heath courses lie, in whole or in part, on a geological formation known as the Bagshot Beds. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagshot_Formation for a more detailed explanation of this formation.

Clearly, this type of sandy soil is not the same as the pure sand that characterises links. It is much older - links, being the result of direct action by wind and water, can form and reform rather quickly, as the rapidly growing duneland around Rye in Sussex shows.. Although sand is a key feature of the formation, it is far from the only component.

The Bagshot beds reach the surface in several parts of southern England. The heaths of Hampshire and Dorset that are home to courses like Broadstone are an extension of this formation.

Another key geological component of this part of England is the chalk that underpins the North and South Downs. You see the escarpment of the North Downs very clearly from the M25; it's the steep slope that lies to the north of the motorway between junctions 7 and 5 on the borders of Surrey and Kent. The bedrock of the Downs is chalk, but the chalk is covered in places by a variety of different soils. The Beaverbrook GC course at Cherkley Court, a couple of miles from Walton Heath, that is currently under construction by David Kidd and his crew, is on the chalk, and anyone who has seen some of the photos of the early build that have appeared on social media will have seen the stark white chalk exposed by the topsoil stripping. Here, the chalk is very close to the surface. As an aside, the reason southern England is now producing excellent sparkling wines is that this chalk formation is part of the same geological seam that reaches the surface 150 miles or so further south in Champagne.

Back to golf courses. Sean Arble has observed many times on here that the drainage qualities of the heath courses are often overstated, and I think we can all agree with this. I have no doubt that soil composition has much to do with this, as do maintenance regimes and many other factors. A key one is topography. No-one who has played the Red course at the Berkshire in winter could have missed the fact that the first fairway, which is very flat and relatively low-lying, is typically one of the softest places on the course. Climb the slope to the second green, and the ground is noticeably firmer. Woking is another good example of this; the low areas of the course near to the railway line are invariably the softest, and when one climbs the ridge in front of the ninth green, it is easy to see a difference.

The native sands of the Bagshot formation, as people who have played those courses will have seen, are typically quite grey. There is an interesting contrast between this and the sands of (for example) the Dutch heath belt; when I visited Frank Pont during the early construction of Swinkelsche, on land that was denatured heath, I was struck by the remarkable contrast between the rich, dark topsoil - the result of a century's intensive manuring by agriculture - and the bright sand immediately below it. On the other hand, the sands at Morfontaine and Chantilly are darker, more akin to those in Surrey. Whether there is a geological connection, I can't say. But it wouldn't surprise me.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Stuart Hallett

Re: Geology of the Surrey/Berkshire heath and surrounding areas
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 06:22:35 AM »
Some years ago, I did a report concerning the habitats in the forest of Fontainebleau.

"The water table remains permanently well below the surface on dry heaths. Wet heaths benefit from a periodic rise and fall of the water table and the presence of underlying sandstone rock or clay that impedes efficient drainage. The additional soil moisture explains the diversity of plant species on wet heaths, Purple Moor Grass (Molinia caerulea), Cross-leaved Heath (Erica tetralix) and species of Sphagnum moss are all characteristic of wet heaths".

We talk about heathland in a general manner, but as you indicate, each site is specific, as is areas within a site. Most GCA's will know this simply from digging holes during construction.

David Davis

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 06:53:42 AM »
Adam,

Thanks for posting this. For me it's really interesting to have something factual here about this to make sure there are no misconceptions here. Perhaps I make a bigger deal about it than it is actually and proper maintenance is the key here. However I realize it's been a source of disappointment for me this year. The maintenance people were referring to this turf make up as "green sand" which I had not heard about prior to my trip.

Fontainebleau, Morfontaine and St. Germain were on pure sand based soil and it makes a difference for sure both in terms of maintenance as well as playability and different feeling when striking the ball.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Stuart Hallett

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 07:40:50 AM »
David,

Fontainebleau and Morfontaine is on pure sand, but Saint-Germain is definitely NOT on pure sand, believe me.
You can give St-Germain extra credit for maintenance.

Stuart Hallett

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 07:50:21 AM »
"Pure sand" is not really correct, let's just say sand with varying depths.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 10:59:36 AM »
Sandy loam is what you are thinking of David. Grass will not grow in pure sand as there are no nutrients which is the problem with 100% sand greens or even greens mixes that mix in sterile peat.

Jon

Marc Haring

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 07:02:55 AM »
Well there is marram grass Jon.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 02:10:41 PM »
Grass will grow in pure sand. A green sand is localised grading of some of the North Wiltshire/Berkshire areas, they all vary, often a bit too fine so has a behaviour of a halfway point of perhaps sand or silt, okay for fairways, probably could be used as the 20% to dirty a 0.35mm sand (but would need proper testing).

The geology throughout the UK is variable and even on a golf course can vary significantly. Our project on the Oxfordshire/Berkshire has 300-450mm of a sandy loan integrated with a 75mm rounded pebble. Nice if we segregate. It will be interesting to see what subsoils we get from the areas, some could be straight sand.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 03:11:17 PM »
Marc,

yes of course marram. I was thinking more about sports turf quality grass/sward as David asked about it.

Adrian,

pure sand with no added nutrients and kept free of impurities. It may germinate but IMO it will not last long and it will not get to greens quality.

Jon

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 03:30:32 PM »
Jon - Lot of constructions are straight sand though I only know of one in the UK - Manor House. I actually worked for the agronomist on a German project but the stories are only for discussion over beer. You very quickly get roots straight to the gravel. You need to feed very frequently at the early stage, I have not worked with straight sands but within a year they kinda dirty the sand by the natural dying process and from there it gets dirtier and dirtier. USA greenskeepers will add more.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 04:19:43 PM »
Jon - Lot of constructions are straight sand though I only know of one in the UK - Manor House. I actually worked for the agronomist on a German project but the stories are only for discussion over beer. You very quickly get roots straight to the gravel. You need to feed very frequently at the early stage, I have not worked with straight sands but within a year they kinda dirty the sand by the natural dying process and from there it gets dirtier and dirtier. USA greenskeepers will add more.

And if you do not add any nutrients how good will it grow?

David thought that an entire course was built on pure sand hence my comment about the viability of that. But even with pure sand USGA builds (California model I believe it is called) you have to ADD things such as nutrients to make it viable. By adding the feed it is no longer PURE SAND and even here in the UK it will need irrigation. However, after a few years of development the upper layer will have a lot of impurities in it though this does not allow enough micro organisms to survive in it in order to make such a root zone viable long term which is why it has a life span after which it needs to be replaced. The German FLL is more practical in this sense.

Jon

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 04:32:55 PM »
Adam, many thanks for the post and thanks as well to everyone for chiming in.

The London heath -- or is it just heath in general -- soil is alkaline acidic, yes? Drawing the contrast between London heaths and Dutch, is the alkaline acidic quality due to some quality of geomorphology or to manmade factors -- or both?

Would be great to see a book written on the geology of English golf courses, like a companion book to Robert Price's on Scotland. The geological variety of English courses has always seemed greater to me than of Scottish courses and perhaps some of the greatest in the world, strictly from a golf perspective. I suppose this diversity explains the breadth and depth of quality of English golf.

EDITED to replace 'alkaline' with 'acidic', per Adam's post below.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 04:46:38 PM by Mark Bourgeois »
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 04:38:51 PM »
Mark - no, I believe the Surrey heath is acid. I know Wikipedia is not always reliable, but this appears well referenced.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lowland_heath
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 04:45:27 PM »
Adam, sorry I meant to write acidic and transposed my words. In the interest of clarity I will go back and modify the post.

Anyway, my (intended) question stands. Got any nowlege??
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back