News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Bourgeois

What is believed to be the world's first open-source, openly collaborative timeline project dedicated to a deceased golf course architect born in North America :)  -- is officially launched at:

www.cbmacdonald.com

Via the miracle of "modern communicative technology," anyone can contribute. A series of open-access Google Drive spreadsheets link directly to the timeline technology. Those interested in contributing should email
timelineATcbmacdonald.com

to receive a link to the relevant spreadsheet(s).

And now for the inevitable clickbait, some of which may even be true:

* Macdonald was born in Canada, not the United States
* Macdonald took out a short-term "emergency" loan of $383,000 from industrialist Henry Clay Frick
* Macdonald did not write “Scotland’s Gift: Golf”
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Joe Bausch

Re: The Charles Blair Macdonald Timeline Project is officially launched
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 07:24:05 PM »
Good stuff, MB.

Thank you.

From the grave,
Scotty C.

;-)

--------------------
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 06:28:24 PM »
Well done by the Bourgeoisie ! Long live the CBM Republic!

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 06:51:05 PM »
Mark:

Awesome.

The interface is incredible.

Thanks for wasting the rest of my day.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 10:55:56 PM »
Canada wasn't an independent nation until 1867 so that would mean that CBM was born in a colony of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

BCrosby

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 10:19:49 AM »
The original USGA liason committe formed to communicate with the R&A about the new uniform rules the R&A had published in 1900 was composed of Windeler, Travis and CBM.

The editor of Golf Illustrated (British) noted the irony that none of the members of the USGA committee were native born Americans.

Bob
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 10:29:30 AM by BCrosby »

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 12:27:19 PM »
Macdonald declared himself variously as a US or a Canadian citizen as circumstances suited; however, his affidavit to Bermuda authorities is the only legal document signed by him found so far. (He appeared to carry a US passport.)

Foreigners were barred from owning real estate on the island except by special act. Just such an act was prepared on MacDonald's behalf, necessitating his affidavit. But when he stated he was born on what then was Commonwealth ground  the act was deemed unnecessary and Macdonald bought his property. (According to his great niece, he shacked up with his mistress in the house he built on that property.)
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 12:39:07 PM »
But when he stated he was born on what then was Commonwealth ground  ...
This may be a bit of a technicality but it wasn't "Commonwealth ground", it was fully part of the British Empire at the time.  The term Commonwealth wasn't really used until the 1950s after it was no longer acceptable to refer to these countries and colonies as part of the British Empire.  Countries like Canada and Australia were still often deemed to be part of the British Empire well after they became independent nations, but Canada wasn't even an independent nation when CBM was born which is only 40 years after the end of the War of 1812 and it is very possible that one of his gradparents fought against the US in that war, especially since the Niagara area was the site of several battles.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 12:44:17 PM »
Sorry about that, Wayne. I was loose with my terms. Your explanation shows to me how important that distinction was - important enough to allow Macdonald to buy property in Bermuda with no restrictions, as opposed to a special act.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 12:59:58 PM »
(this also posted on the Influence of CBM thread...)

The following courtesy of The Lurker:

Quote from: Patrick_Mucci on Today at 07:49:45 AM
Quote from: Rich Goodale on Today at 12:33:39 AM
David (and Pat)

If the US Amateur was so influential, why did NGLA never host one in CBM's day?

My guess would be because CBM came to be at odds with the USGA, never ascending to President

I believe that is an excellent question, an excellent answer, and an excellent point. As far as I can recall, that point has never been discussed in detail on this forum. While Macdonald and his influence on golf architecture has been discussed endlessly on this forum, I don't believe that particular point has ever been mentioned in an attempt to discuss it, except by me in the past (in the back pages). I mentioned it a number of times but unfortunately it did not evoke any discussion.

I have often wondered why it never has been discussed on this forum. It seems to me that the best answer might be found in something TommyN said to me some years ago, which is that the parts of CBM's book (Scotland's Gift Golf, 1928) that deal with this subject in some detail are just not subjects that most people on this forum have ever been interested in. I refer to those parts and chapters of in his book that he titles 'Activities of the USGA.' They are not subjects that involve golf architecture; they are subjects that involve golf administration in America, and, interestingly, those subjects and chapters probably comprise up to 1/3 of his entire book, which should indicate to some of us how important they were to him (CBM)!.

As to why Macdonald never ascended to the presidency of the USGA, he does not really say in his book that was published approximately twenty years after the fact (of his not ascending to the presidency in the order that his original position on the board (2nd vice president) would seem to indicate that he should ascend to the presidency of the USGA). So who did ascend to the presidency of the USGA at the point that Macdonald probably should have? R.J Robertson of Shinnecock did, and it is very clear to see in his chapter titled "Beginning of USGA----Bogey," what philosophical differences and problems Macdonald had with Robertson and Robertson's ideas on how the USGA should proceed administratively. It also seems quite clear that these particular problems and differences Macdonald had with Robertson and his administrative philosophy had never been mentioned or aired publicly before the publication of Macdonald's book in 1928. Indeed, one may even logically ask if Macdonald purposely waited almost twenty years to write his book and to air those differences and problems, because, at that point (1928), Macdonald, by his own admission, was done with both golf architecture and golf.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

John Sabino

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 07:17:48 PM »
Mark - This is really well done and thoughtfully researched, nice job. I look forward to following your progress. John
Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 08:13:38 AM »
Thanks everyone for the nice words. I'll pass the compliments along to the proud men and women slaving volunteering away in the widely distributed offices of the Project. Going in, we all thought the biggest reaction / pushback would come from our sensationalist claim Macdonald didn't write "Scotland's Gift: Golf." So, in our continuing efforts to TMZ.com this effort, how about this?

We wonder what silver "cups" were stolen.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 08:22:12 AM »
I think that burglary was an inside job by a servant in the employ of CBM, and I'm pretty sure CB had recommended him to several of his other wealthy friends who were also robbed by the guy.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 08:40:14 AM »
Clearly the team needs to do research beyond July 23, 1923!  ;D

BCrosby

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 09:32:25 AM »
As Sven notes, a really cool way to present your material.  I've not seen anything like it.

So I'll play the straight man, who wrote Scotland's Gift?

Bob

DMoriarty

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 09:34:52 AM »
We wonder what silver "cups" were stolen.

If Macdonald was so influential, then why weren't they gold cups?
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 09:49:03 AM »
The idiots overlooked 35k in gems.

Edit: The 'inside job'  robbery was in 1902, not the one in 1923, and it was the butler,  ;D  a Swedish man named Victor Bloom. He also robbed the Belmonts and the Whitneys.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 10:06:34 AM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

DMoriarty

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 03:12:30 PM »
Mark, 

In my Safari browser only the first outline shows up.  (I didn't even realize there were sub-outlines until I opened it in Chrome today.  It is much more impressive when the whole thing is accessible.)

Bob Crosby, 

In the outline, Mark identifies a writer/ghostwriter who apparently helped CBM write Scotland's Gift.   I don't think this is quite the same thing as saying (as Mark does) that CBM didn't write Scotland's Gift, but I guess he is going for a tabloid type tone.

Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

BCrosby

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 03:25:46 PM »
David - I got it that Mark was dangling click-bait.  Just playing along.

Bob

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 06:52:10 PM »
The idiots overlooked 35k in gems.

Edit: The 'inside job'  robbery was in 1902, not the one in 1923, and it was the butler,  ;D  a Swedish man named Victor Bloom. He also robbed the Belmonts and the Whitneys.

So the 1923 robbery is news!  ;D BTW $10,000 in 1923 dollars corresponds to $136,000 today. There's gold silver in them thar trophies, Moriarty! Gold Silver!

David, I just checked Safari and it scrolled just fine. I have no earthly idea why Safari would scroll on one -- wait, did you view on an iPad or iPhone? Maybe the problem is the operating system; I have noticed it doesn't scroll on Android phones.

And yes CBM had a ghostwriter: Kenneth Macgowan, Eugene O'Neill's producer (yes, that Eugene O'Neill) and later the producer of the movies "Young Mr Lincoln" and "Lifeboat." He also was the first head of the film and theatre department at UCLA. Sadly, the Scribner's archive at Princeton has no record of Macgowan's work or of "Scotland's Gift." Probably -- although the archivist check the electronic files and finding aids, I am skeptical there is no record of any kind. Someone needs to go to Princeton and pore through the financial and other records.

I should add UCLA's records on Macgowan has no info either, and beyond that quoted in the Timeline, neither does a prominent biographer of O'Neill.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 09:37:55 PM »
How about a pic I have not seen before of CBM (but undoubtedly lurking in the GCA.com archives), from the 30 Nov 1902 Brooklyn Daily Eagle -- vaguely reminiscent of his portrait hanging in the CGC clubhouse.

If that doesn't do it for you, how bout stories of Macdonald insisting a 16 year old girl be allowed to play in an 1897 Chicago GC golf tournament — or of his younger daughter Janet playing in the 1900 women's championship? The Neanderthal of Golf: women's libber!

abmack

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 01:17:17 PM »
What a great website

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 08:45:30 PM »
Mark:

One more photo for you, this time from the Sept. 15, 1901 edition of the New York Tribune.

Sven

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2014, 08:04:11 AM »
Thank you, Andrew and Sven. Sven, what more do you know about the picture, eg location and details of the match?

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2014, 10:43:12 AM »
Here's another photo, from the April 28, 1902 edition of the New York Tribune.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back