News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Tilley

Re: Open at Portrush
« Reply #125 on: October 21, 2014, 08:48:55 AM »
What is happening to the current 7 and 8 on the Dunluce? It doesn't look like they are being built over or played across in anyway. Will they just allow them to be grow over or keep them as spare / practice holes. I thought the old 8th was a fantastic hole so it would be a shame to completely lose it.

Sean_A

« Reply #126 on: August 01, 2015, 09:12:31 AM »
Donal

Ironically the Valley 5th and 6th are Babington holes and not Colt (built in the 1950s).  I was reluctant to post that fact here as it would give more ammunition for the changes (although it doesn't seem that GCA has any clout in shaping the debate).

The rest of the Valley was planned and built around the same time as Dunluce but I think Babington may have tweaked it through the years.

Thanks Paul.  Well, that changes my thinking quite a bit.  I thought The Valley was pure Colt which is very rare (not sure one example even exists) for links.  Still, 5 & 6 will be very difficult to replace.  In fact, I would go so far say to say that if a tandem of short yardage for 7 par is not somehow introduced as a replacement it will be a loss which cannot be properly replaced.  I don't think either of the two is the best hole on the course, but as a pair they are stunning, very unusual and for me the biggest highlight of The Valley.    :'(

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #127 on: August 01, 2015, 11:55:25 AM »
Donal

Ironically the Valley 5th and 6th are Babington holes and not Colt (built in the 1950s).  I was reluctant to post that fact here as it would give more ammunition for the changes (although it doesn't seem that GCA has any clout in shaping the debate).

The rest of the Valley was planned and built around the same time as Dunluce but I think Babington may have tweaked it through the years.

Thanks Paul.  Well, that changes my thinking quite a bit.  I thought The Valley was pure Colt which is very rare (not sure one example even exists) for links.  Still, 5 & 6 will be very difficult to replace.  In fact, I would go so far say to say that if a tandem of short yardage for 7 par is not somehow introduced as a replacement it will be a loss which cannot be properly replaced.  I don't think either of the two is the best hole on the course, but as a pair they are stunning, very unusual and for me the biggest highlight of The Valley.    :'(

Ciao

So it sounds like the Valley will play more or less the same round to the current 16th (new 14th once 5th and 6th are removed). There will then be a new par three played uphill towards the sea followed by a par 5 played from the main dune ridge down in to the valley and green site of the current 17th. Then a new par three 17th along the main dune ridge by the sea to an existing green site from the par 3 course. Finally A new 18th playing as a 335 yard par 4 from the ridge inland to the clubhouse. Actually sounds like a good plan to me. Overall yardage remains the same. Unfortunately they will be reducing the par 3 course from 9 to 6 holes though.

KMcKeown

« Reply #128 on: February 14, 2016, 09:13:28 AM »
Does anyone have recent photos of the land that shows the work in progress? Love too see the equipment being used, dirt work, and updates on the progress.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back