News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Simpson and double greens ?
« on: August 29, 2014, 09:20:32 AM »
Did Tom Simpson ever design double greens ? The reason I ask this is that on the thread "MacKenzies Worst Course" Rich mentioed Dalmunzie which is now considered to be a Simpson. The course is a private nine holer in a fairly rural location in the Highlands of Scotland. There is evidence to suggest that there may have been a double green in the middle of the course, with holes playing to it in opposite directions.

Does anyone know if Simpson designed double greens elsewhere ?

Niall

Adrian_Stiff

Re: Simpson and double greens ?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 10:02:20 AM »
Niall - I dont know the answer to the Simpson question, but Dalmunzie used to be the only 6 hole course in the country that had a proper SS. I reckon it was 6 holes until the mid seventies, I am not 100% but previously to being 6 it might have been a 9 hole (vaguely remember reading)....so the double green might have been from that.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Alfonso Erhardt

Re: Simpson and double greens ?
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 04:34:33 PM »
Niall,

I don't know about the double greens, but I have a Simpson catalog and the Dalmunzie golf course is not included. The list is very comprehensive so I would make sure that the claim that the course is his can be sustained

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back