News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris DeToro

Re: 2023 US Open to Los Angeles CC?
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2014, 07:48:41 AM »
this is awesome news and I can't wait to watch this...10 years from now

though I will disagree--I've been a member at clubs that host much smaller tournaments than this (big am tournaments, Symetra tour) and it's a huge pain in my opinion.  but given the choice, I'd much rather be playing than watching

Bill_McBride

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2014, 08:07:06 AM »
It will be a logistical nightmare.

Won't be a problem, David, the 405 construction might be finished by then.   

Terry Lavin

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2014, 08:38:06 AM »
The logistics are capable of being solved. Remote parking from five or six miles will probably do the trick. The golf will be great even if the course seems vulnerable. Best of all, the storylines and optics will be amazing for a variety of reasons. It will be a huge pain for the members but worth it for the pride of finally having the Open. Money-wise, the club will probably net something like $5 million which will ease some of the unavoidable inconvenience.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Howard Riefs

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2014, 09:57:36 AM »
Greater LA is a big place with nice weather and huge economy.  Curious there are only two courses deemed up to major championship standard these days.

Sounds like the modern-day Chicago.

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2014, 10:15:17 AM »
It will be a logistical nightmare.

Not sure about that.  It is my understanding that Riviera was so elated at the news that they have volunteered the course for parking during the U.S. Open.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

David Bartman

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2014, 03:52:52 PM »
I have now seen the letter to the membership, it talks about history of both the US Open and LACC's history of hosting LA Opens back in the 30's. 

It mentions that the USGA would be renting and controlling the facilities for 2 weeks and returning the facilities to how they were before the event.  That means that they would most likely use the South Course for parking as well as 1,2,17,18 for hospitality tents , and that the USGA would pay for all the re-grassing that would be needed, most likely a return to bent grass for the south courses greens as well as some extra dough to put towards the clubhouse renovations. Therefore hosting the championship will not only bring notierity and stature to the newly redone golf course but also pay or help pay for a South Course restoration and upgrades to the clubhouse infrastructure. 

It was a front page story in today's LA Times which I would think was leaked by someone at the club to basically make anyone who votes against hosting look like a total selfish prick. 

Still need to play Pine Valley!!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2014, 04:04:36 PM »
It will pass resoundingly. Lucky for the club, it has already redone the course. Here's hoping the USGA tweaks won't bastardize the intent of the restoration.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 05:05:26 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

RussBaribault

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2014, 04:44:02 PM »
PGA of America misses the boat again. It would have been great to get a west coast PGA Championship.
“Greatness courts failure, Romeo.”

“You may be right boss, but you know what, sometimes par is good enough to win”

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2014, 05:19:42 PM »
PGA of America misses the boat again. It would have been great to get a west coast PGA Championship.

Yup. Bye-bye boat. No more courses on the west coast worthy of hosting a tournament. None. The rest are terrible. Really bad.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

David Stamm

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2014, 05:59:14 PM »

IIRC, didn't Harding Park just get awarded a PGA?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Rob Marshall

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2014, 07:50:34 PM »
It's a long time away but it will be great getting a look LACC. I do find it hard to believe they are going to make $5 million.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Josh Stevens

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2014, 08:47:58 PM »

Yup. Bye-bye boat. No more courses on the west coast worthy of hosting a tournament. None. The rest are terrible. Really bad.

OF course they could always go back to Sahalee

Terry Lavin

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2014, 09:53:07 PM »
It's a long time away but it will be great getting a look LACC. I do find it hard to believe they are going to make $5 million.

They'll make it handily, especially since the course work is already done. Then add the fact that they can sell Open gear for a year prior in a city that has never had an Open. Smells like money.

Gene Greco

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2014, 10:40:50 PM »
 1948 Riviera
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Howard Riefs

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2014, 10:43:32 PM »
Time for Olympic to look at 2026 or 2027 for its next US Open?

http://blog.sfgate.com/ongolf/2014/08/28/l-a-could-push-back-olympic-clubs-next-u-s-open/
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2014, 01:14:24 AM »
Put me in the camp with Messers Kelly and Huntley. Traffic will be a nightmare for players, support staff, volunteers, and corporates. The number of busses needed to shuttle fans from park'n'ride venues will stretch back to LAX.

The thought of the USGA coming in also alarms me. The course needs nothing done to it, and could be harmed by a US Open IMO. The work of Hanse, Shackelford et al is at some risk. This isn't worth the joy all of us would derive from seeing the Club host a big event. IMHO of course...

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2014, 01:17:59 AM »
The logistics are capable of being solved. Remote parking from five or six miles will probably do the trick. The golf will be great even if the course seems vulnerable. Best of all, the storylines and optics will be amazing for a variety of reasons. It will be a huge pain for the members but worth it for the pride of finally having the Open. Money-wise, the club will probably net something like $5 million which will ease some of the unavoidable inconvenience.

Ahhh, therein lies the rub.

I'm not so sure that the club will earn a penny.

I believe that the NFL convinces the City/State hosting the Super Bowl not to impose income taxes on the players.

Could it be 4 California courses in 5 years ?

Three California courses in a row  ?

« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 01:24:02 AM by Patrick_Mucci »

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2014, 01:20:58 AM »
They'll make it handily, especially since the course work is already done. Then add the fact that they can sell Open gear for a year prior in a city that has never had an Open. Smells like money.

Regarding the economics for the host club, this article from 2012 was pretty close:

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2012-07/peter-finch-finance

"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Jim Nugent

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2014, 03:39:04 AM »

Though most sources seem to agree with you, isn't Terry speaking from personal experience? 

Terry Lavin

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2014, 12:52:07 PM »

Though most sources seem to agree with you, isn't Terry speaking from personal experience?  

Olympia made $2 million net after spending around the same number to rebuild the course for the Championship. I'm sure LACC doesn't want to make reportable income, so they can deduct the cost of the renovation, lost guest and outing revenue and other items in order to reduce or eliminate taxable income, but it's gonna be a big gross income figure.  Probably the best thing to do would be a laaaaarge donation to the Evans Scholars Foundation.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 01:35:20 PM by Terry Lavin »

Rob Marshall

« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2014, 03:15:58 PM »

Olympia made $2 million net after spending around the same number to rebuild the course for the Championship. I'm sure LACC doesn't want to make reportable income, so they can deduct the cost of the renovation, lost guest and outing revenue and other items in order to reduce or eliminate taxable income, but it's gonna be a big gross income figure.  Probably the best thing to do would be a laaaaarge donation to the Evans Scholars Foundation.

I know approx. what was made at a recent major championship and it was a heck of a lot less than that.  Deduct the cost of the renovation and lost guest and outing revenue?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2014, 03:29:53 PM »
Yeah, you're right. There's no way a major at Sunset and Wilshire will do great box office. Silly me.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2014, 03:58:58 PM »
It's true, Terry. I've only been out to LA a couple of times, but people really do seem to be tight with the dollar out there, especially in that neighbourhood. No matter how much money they're earning, they just don't seem to want to spend it on anything, especially on anything that is frivolous or merely fashionable. They're all about living within their means and being sensible, appearances be damned.

Peter

Terry Lavin

« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2014, 04:02:21 PM »
And I forgot the event is run by a non-profit, research driven organization!

Rob Marshall

« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2014, 04:52:26 PM »
Yeah, you're right. There's no way a major at Sunset and Wilshire will do great box office. Silly me.

Does the box office effect how much they make? I would assume that  every US open  sells out. If they make $5 million that's great. I know the PGA in my neck of the woods wasn't nearly as lucrative according to the members I know. Rochester certainly isn't LA.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back