News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan Mallard

Terry Lavin

Re: 2023 US Open to Los Angeles CC?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 06:19:55 PM »
Long overdue!  I'm glad the club's leadership has "seen the light."
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 06:21:12 PM »
This would be outstanding. And amazing.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Gene Greco

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 06:49:50 PM »
   LACC is a GREAT golf course and one which I adore.

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Josh Stevens

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 07:04:21 PM »
I had heard that the club had always refused to consider hosting the event.

Is a US Open that much of a pain to host? 

Bill Seitz

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 07:17:29 PM »

Well, probably.  Terry can answer that.  But I always assumed their unwillingness to host a major event had less to do with the hassle, and more to do with simply staying out of the public eye. 

Josh Stevens

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 07:20:43 PM »
I can only imagine it would be a night mare to have to put up with 12 months of knee high rough being grown beforehand, and then another 12 months of getting the fairways back to spec after it is all hacked down

Or would this be another wide open open?

David Kelly

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 08:02:29 PM »
It will be a logistical nightmare.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 08:11:25 PM »
Isn't this what the USGA has always wanted?
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 08:15:18 PM »
I "called" this last year..Congrats to Tom B. and a few others who lobbied extensively for this. Great course and club!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Steve Lapper

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 08:27:04 PM »

No Way...They'll close the South course and stage everything there. An Open there will be awesome...just a nightmare for those Westsiders already bitching about traffic on Sunset and Wilshire Blvds.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

David Kelly

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 08:44:04 PM »

No Way...They'll close the South course and stage everything there. An Open there will be awesome...just a nightmare for those Westsiders already bitching about traffic on Sunset and Wilshire Blvds.

The traffic is to what I was referring.  How they blow they're corporate partners I could care less about. There is no parking anywhere near there so they'll probably be busing people in from Baldwin Hills or something.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Mark Steffey

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 09:41:40 PM »
good.

there is nothing better to me than watching major championship golf at 10pm on saturday and sunday night.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 10:13:57 PM »
The traffic is to what I was referring.  How they blow they're corporate partners I could care less about. There is no parking anywhere near there so they'll probably be busing people in from Baldwin Hills or something.

Where do they park people at the Northern Trust?  When I was a kid and would go to the LA Open every year, most of the parking was at the VA hospital next to Jackie Robinson stadium.  Doesn't look like there's as much parking there as I remember, but that's closer to LACC than it is to Riviera. 

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 10:16:18 PM »

Long overdue!  I'm glad the club's leadership has "seen the light."

Terry,

They've always seen the light.

There were some complicating factors, which, hopefully, they've seemed to have worked out

David Ober

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 11:51:10 PM »
I can only imagine it would be a night mare to have to put up with 12 months of knee high rough being grown beforehand, and then another 12 months of getting the fairways back to spec after it is all hacked down

Or would this be another wide open open?

According to a few buddies who played recently, LA North is an absolute beast. I doubt it will need super-penal rough. We'll see, though....

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 11:54:46 PM »
Guarantee you all the swells will be at the Beverly Hilton next door on the corner of Wilshire and Santa Monica boulevards for the week. Plus there's a vacant department store (last time I heard about it, at least) next to the BH and thus abutting the LACC south course property that could be used for hospitality parking.

The blimp shots of the Playboy Mansion may or may not be interesting. Hef will be 97 then. But the old Aaron Spelling house (56,000 square feet!) is just five doors down along the same 14th fairway and now owned by the 20something daughter of F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

David Panzarasa

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 12:20:44 AM »
This surprises me for different reasons

My understanding, and hearing it first hand many times now, members are very "curious" to see how low the players at the Walker Cup will go there.

David Ober: The course isn't a beast, I think that could be an issue for a US Open that usually is and wants to be a beast. When the low handicap golfers (college, pro's) go there, they seem to tear it up.   I think many people know the story of Bubba Watson recently on the 8th hole par 5 hitting driver over the trees and wedge for eagle......

The greens are going to have to be running ungodly fast, as wind/weather wont be a factor, and not much room to add length.

Will for sure be a stunning venue, and amazing to see in person or on TV, but I can't see the course holding up against the PGA

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 12:34:42 AM »

In spades. Has anyone driven by the venue in less than even peak hours?

Bob

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 12:36:11 AM »

If you are interested in playing your courses (not to mention utilizing other club assets) then the answer is yes.  At Pinehurst where there are multiple courses for staging and logistics they shut down course #1 in April.
See the abbreviated impact the open had on Pinehurst this year
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,56259.msg1378423.html#msg1378423
This doesn't include the impact after the event.  Course #1 was scheduled to open on the 28th of August (it opened earlier but with #1, #18 as par 3s).  #4 opened much earlier but there was significant damage to the turf.  They did put a giant brick walkway down as well as tearing up turf to put down buildings, roads and trailers.

Where do they park people at the Northern Trust?  When I was a kid and would go to the LA Open every year, most of the parking was at the VA hospital next to Jackie Robinson stadium.  Doesn't look like there's as much parking there as I remember, but that's closer to LACC than it is to Riviera.  
Like you said parking is primarily at the VA for the Northern Trust.  They park all around the VA and there are multiple lots.  This works because the VA is able to operate as usual during the weekday because crowds for the Northern Trust are relatively small, not the case for the US Open.  The Northern Trust is tough for parking and the shuttle, I spent nearly an hour on a bus in traffic to get from the VA to Riv, I can't imagine how it will work for the US Open.  For the NCAA's I parked in the staff lot...don't think that will work for the US Open.

According to a few buddies who played recently, LA North is an absolute beast. I doubt it will need super-penal rough. We'll see, though....

As the article states when the NCAA guys played the low round was 61.  If the USGA is ok with similar scores they don't need to make modifications...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 12:39:33 AM by Joe_Tucholski »

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 12:41:25 AM »

Is it possible that the Clubhouse renovation costing many millions of dollars was a factor in hosting the Open?

Bob

David Panzarasa

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2014, 12:51:12 AM »
I dont think they are restoring it, they would be building a new one. Could be wrong on that though
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 12:51:24 PM by David Panzarasa »

Josh Stevens

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2014, 12:51:42 AM »
Does make you wonder why a top end private club would bother.  They don't need the money if indeed there is any, and presumably being a member of LACC comes with sufficient bragging rights in itself.

We hold a Euro tour event each year, but its hardly any bother - we play the course as usual on Sat.  Sunday and Monday the places gets a bit of  tidy up, the pros arrive on Tues.  We spend four days sitting on the veranda getting drunk and pretending to be important and then  Monday we get our course back.
But a huge event?? Hm I think not - esp ones that require wholesale course mods.

Alex Miller

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2014, 01:25:33 AM »
I. Am. Ecstatic.

Josh Stevens

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2014, 02:20:52 AM »
Greater LA is a big place with nice weather and huge economy.  Curious there are only two courses deemed up to major championship standard these days.

Is my history correct, only ever 3 major championships in LA - Open and PGA at Riviera and PGA at Hillcrest

Does seem a little unfair

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back