News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

Golf in Bend, OR
« on: August 28, 2014, 01:24:47 PM »
Outside of Pronghorn, Sunriver, and Juniper, what are the best courses in or around Bend, OR?

Thanks and cheers,

Garland Bayley

Re: Golf in Bend, OR
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 01:27:56 PM »
Matt Ward loved Tetherow.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jordan Wall

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 01:31:27 PM »
I completely forgot about Tetherow!  See, this is why I ask you guys this stuff.

I've heard Tetherow is a wild design, the kind you either love or hate.  And very extreme. Is that right?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 01:42:38 PM »
I completely forgot about Tetherow!  See, this is why I ask you guys this stuff.

I've heard Tetherow is a wild design, the kind you either love or hate.  And very extreme. Is that right?

Good golfers dislike it. (Unless of course they are getting perks and writing it up for publication.) Poor golfers don't know any better as they blame problems on their game rather than on the course. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 01:43:28 PM »
Pronghorn has two Nicklaus and Fazio
Sunriver has four courses Crosswater, Woodlands (Jones), Meadow (Fought), Caldera (Cupp) is a very good par 3

Tetherow
Black Butte - I am partial to Big Meadow over Glaze Meadow
Aspen Lakes- red cinder bunkers
Brasada Ranch
Broken Top
Bend CC
Lost Tracks

I'd go Tetherow, Broken Top, Aspen Lakes, Bend, Brasada, Big Mdw, Glaze Mdw, Lost Track (which is owned by a former president of PGA of America)

Tetherow has undergone many changes since I played it, as DMK is based in Bend

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 01:45:20 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Chris DeToro

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 01:44:45 PM »
Tetherow's been on my short list to get out to visit--is it not worth the trip?

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 01:46:46 PM »
I won't ditch your plans solely based on Garland's emoticoned response :)

Chris DeToro

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 01:55:51 PM »
 ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 01:58:35 PM »
I played Aspen Lakes. It is not a walkers course. When I played there it also was over watered and soggy mid summer.
Tetherow over Aspen Lakes by a wide margin.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 02:03:35 PM »
I played Aspen Lakes. It is not a walkers course. When I played there it also was over watered and soggy mid summer.
Tetherow over Aspen Lakes by a wide margin.

Conditions were excellent when they held a USGA qualifier there earlier this month. But I have seen it overwatered in the past when they were expecting very high temperatures and red flag fie warnings were in effect.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 02:27:17 PM »
What are opinions on Crosswater?

Robert Emmons

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 03:04:57 PM »
I enjoyed Tetherow, playing to a 10. Interesting ,fun course...food and staff were great....RHE

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 03:07:41 PM »
Season ends around October 1. Sunriver Lodge offers stay and play packages.  Big Lithia Pacific Amateur in Bend Sept 20-25. If you stay at Crosswater ($$) you can play the Caldera par 3 course.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 03:11:32 PM »
I think Crosswater is an interesting course to play, depending on how long you will be there. A lot of forced carries and a lot of forced lay ups. I put the Bend courses in this order.

Pronghorn (Fazio)
Tetherow
Pronghorn (Nicklaus)
Crosswater
Aspen Lakes

with Juniper being the best value pick.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 03:14:32 PM »
Played Crosswater a couple of weeks ago.  Long carries, mounding all around, buried elephants under all the greens.  Play it once, if only to see the bald eagle that is a regular site on one of the holes.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Jordan Wall

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 03:22:39 PM »
Also, anyone in the area free for a Sat/Sun afternoon this weekend, shoot me a PM.

Richard Choi

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 03:34:19 PM »
Jordan, you can check out my photo tour of crosswater. If you are interested.

I don't know why anyone would pay $200 to play that course. I would be perfectly happy to play it at $50.

Tetherow, even though it is tragically flawed, is the best bet for GCA'er in town.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 03:41:38 PM »
Rich,

I'd love to see it.  Do you have a link?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 03:41:51 PM »
I'd play Juniper before I would play Tetherow. So my meager (only played 3) ranking is
Juniper
Tetherow
Aspen Lakes

Tim Passalacqua

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 03:51:34 PM »
Tetherow is awesome.  The variety of holes is amazing.  Every hole is different.  There is not one weak hole on the course.  Greens are wild and fun.  They keep them at the correct speed, so you can putt them.  Completely fair.  Great angles.  When I played it, it was as firm as Bandon.  It is fescue will to wall.  Probably the most visually stimulating course I have ever seen.  There is so much contrast between the grass and high desert surroundings.  And all of the humps and bumps in the playing areas.  I would play it twice.  Kidd fakes you out a lot your first time around.  He gives you plenty of room everywhere.  It would be one of my favorites, if it were a great walk.  The walk would be a long one.

Richard Choi

Lou_Duran

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 04:58:14 PM »

Played it with Mahaffey and a young English fellow years ago.  I liked it quite a bit; don't think Don was a big fan.  The young man who hit it a long ways had some trouble keeping the ball in the fairway.  Would not pay $$$.

Liked Broken Top as well.  It was a bit ragged and not terribly difficult.  Weiskopf as I recall.

Liked Pronghorn Nicklaus more; Fazio course was in construction, as I recall.  Not among the best of Nicklaus but a good challenge with nice elevation changes and tight pin placements.  My favorite of the three.

Sean Leary

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 05:19:49 PM »
Tetherow is awesome.  The variety of holes is amazing.  Every hole is different.  There is not one weak hole on the course.  Greens are wild and fun.  They keep them at the correct speed, so you can putt them.  Completely fair.  Great angles.  When I played it, it was as firm as Bandon.  It is fescue will to wall.  Probably the most visually stimulating course I have ever seen.  There is so much contrast between the grass and high desert surroundings.  And all of the humps and bumps in the playing areas.  I would play it twice.  Kidd fakes you out a lot your first time around.  He gives you plenty of room everywhere.  It would be one of my favorites, if it were a great walk.  The walk would be a long one.

Would agree with all of this, except that a few greens are silly..

Nick Schaan

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2014, 10:37:40 AM »
Jordan,

If you can play Tetherow sat morning I'll go out with you.

Jeff_Stettner

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2014, 11:03:40 AM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back