News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Foley

Re: Quivira (Cabo) - Photo Tour - All 18 holes posted
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2014, 06:35:08 PM »
How did the get equipment down to build those holes hanging off the cliff!!
Integrity in the moment of choice

Greg Tallman

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2014, 07:50:31 PM »
Awesome tour Greg...every time I read one of these I start looking at plane tickets and testing my wife's patience...

One question...so will a new clubhouse totally change the unique (or odd?) split between the length/par of the two nines?  Does the "new clubhouse" site make the eventual numbering sequence of the 9s more equal?

Brad, I have no idea, just that the current site is not permanent

Greg Cameron

« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2014, 10:53:58 AM »
Greg,what kind of turf?what kind of water source?

Greg Tallman

« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2014, 11:19:55 AM »
Greg,what kind of turf?what kind of water source?

Paspalum and some form of mixture of treated water and desal.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2014, 09:48:28 AM »
Great job Greg,
I look forward to playing it with you in December,it looks better than I thought it would considering the land they used.
It looks more playable than I imagined.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2014, 11:06:20 AM »
How did the get equipment down to build those holes hanging off the cliff!!

John, I would imagined they pushed the sand down beginning from near the old lighthouse beside the 7th tee, shaped the 6th green and the CAREFULLY found their way to the are for the 6th tees and 5th green.

I was on site watching as they shaped some of the 5th tees and fairways and was amazed/shocked/terrified to see how close to the edge the D4 would get as he slowly pushed sand toward the Pacific to achieve the shelves that are now turf.

Would have liked to have watched the shaping and wall construction around the 5th green and 5th black tee. Would not have been on that crew for a million a month salary!

By the way the coolest spot on the entire property is the right side of a very cool, although temporary, practice facility with the best area to practice your tee ball I have seen. The right portion of the tee is set right in the beach with a narrow, perhaps 35 yards wide swath, split from the primary target areas by a massive dune. Now when they open the bar/snack area that will serve the practice facility on that side of the tee you'll have a great spot to spend an entire day... for now.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2014, 02:24:18 PM »
Great job Greg,
I look forward to playing it with you in December,it looks better than I thought it would considering the land they used.
It looks more playable than I imagined.

Better hurry MWP as I may be PNG by that time. }

I will be playing it again in a couple of weeks with the esteemed Mr. Jim Lipe who had done the original routings on the property which look little like what you see today... I believe 6,7,8,9 are from Jim's routings as well as 15-17. #5 was not his thankfully.  Some of the others may have been holes Jim identified for the second course as I'm pretty sure the 18 we see today has borrowed from both while introducing a few new holes to accommodate high end development close to the cliffs on the Diamante side where Jim had a few excellent holes. All in all it worked out pretty well. Will be interesting to get Jim's takes as we play. 

Greens should be much better by the time of your visit and mid-December is just about the best possible time to visit this area... you are a wise man/golfer.

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2014, 02:59:50 PM »
Beautiful Tour! How many of the retail golfers will take a stab a driving #5? I know there is no landing area other than the green but seems like the perfect spot for a heavy slicing resort player.
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Greg Tallman

« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2014, 03:20:31 PM »
Beautiful Tour! How many of the retail golfers will take a stab a driving #5? I know there is no landing area other than the green but seems like the perfect spot for a heavy slicing resort player.

I suppose it is possible, I think it was quoted as only about 250 as the crow flies... but the bird would have trouble flying in that direction. Beyond that you have no idea if anyone is on the green. Heck we hit into people on our second shot as we had no clue there a group in front. Only tee that affords a decent look at the green is the black tee that, like the green, is walled in onto the side of the cliff. I was not joking when saying I wanted no part of walking down to that tee... too scary for me. Good spot for base jumper though.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2014, 03:44:06 PM »
I will get you on that Black tee!!!!!!

Greg Tallman

« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2014, 04:00:25 PM »
I will get you on that Black tee!!!!!!

Chances are like a bad Robert Downey Jr. movie from the late 80s.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2014, 05:30:15 PM »
Greg-
Thanks for the tour; very interesting and informative.  Need to get to Cabo one of these days . . .

Jason Topp

« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2014, 11:43:43 PM »
It is difficult to judge width from pictures but this course looks beautiful but brutally difficult in any sort of normal wind and impossible in a heavy wind.  Remind me to bring some used balls when I inevitably visit the area again. 

Did the owners want a beast or do you think the desire for dramatic visuals trumped thoughts of making the course playable?

Is there room to soften the course in the future?

Thanks for the tour Greg.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2014, 11:33:27 AM »
It is difficult to judge width from pictures but this course looks beautiful but brutally difficult in any sort of normal wind and impossible in a heavy wind.  Remind me to bring some used balls when I inevitably visit the area again.  

Did the owners want a beast or do you think the desire for dramatic visuals trumped thoughts of making the course playable?

Is there room to soften the course in the future?

Thanks for the tour Greg.

Jason, No, I do not believe the owner or Jack were looking to create a beast. I simply think that, in spots, the effect of the wind was not properly factored into the width. Perhaps they fell in love with a look, like on 7 where the hole would be perfect if not for the wind. I could probably carry the second central bunker with no wind but as it is I struggled to squeeze a tee shot between the junk left and the first central hazard... probably 30-35 yards wide in that area with slightly less room on the right side. Similar look/issues at 15 from the tee before opening up for the second shots. Tough deal with a 20-30 MPH wind.  

As noted they did provide plenty of room for the average guy on the approaches with the exceptions of the cliff side par 3s where there is no bail out.

Seemingly an easy fix as the "problem" is not present everywhere. I think with some considerable work on 5, softening of the central hazard/additional width on 7, a little more width on 8(right side), some kind of blending of the fairways on 11 and some rethinking of the 14th hole in general the golf course could be quite good. Perhaps some modest changes on the third as well.

For all my critiquing the course is, at worst, entertaining and definitely worth a play.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 11:56:38 AM by Greg Tallman »

Howard Riefs

« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2014, 05:10:18 PM »
Quite an aerial photo of the 5th hole in today's Golf World:

http://www.golfworlddigital.com/gw/20141201/?pg=11&pm=1&u1=friend#pg11
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Terry Poley

« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2014, 09:29:23 PM »
Greg,

Thanks for the Photo tour! And thanks for taking the time to cart me around the ocean course last week!  Next time maybe I'll bring my clubs.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2014, 10:06:03 PM »
Quite an aerial photo of the 5th hole in today's Golf World:

http://www.golfworlddigital.com/gw/20141201/?pg=11&pm=1&u1=friend#pg11

Only way to get a shot of the entire hole!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back