News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BShannon

Re: Bryn Mawr (Chicago) September 18 GCA Day---Back by Popular Demand
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2014, 11:30:53 PM »
Looking forward to it!

Thanks to Dan/Terry.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2014, 11:31:01 AM »
We are one player short.   

First tee time at 2:10

2:10

T. Lavin
G. Mostow
J. Muehlstein
R. Schneider

2:20

S. Green
M. Treitler
D. Moore
C. Haltom

2:30

A. Fowler
B. Faley
Scott W.

2:40

M. Smolens
R. Fray
L. Featherstone
R. Fox

Some would say that Bryn Mawr is a four-star restaurant with a very nice golf course, so I would be remiss if I didn't hawk the food for the evening.  Here's the post-golf schedule:  6:45 to 7:30 drinks and appetizers (at least 6 different choices).  7:30 dinner Caesar salad grilled veal chop and vegetables.  Apple cobbler dessert.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 10:13:26 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

JNagle

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2014, 02:25:16 PM »
Terry -

Ron Forse and I both were doing all that we could in an attempt to get there for this gathering.  Unfortunately, neither of us can make it.  Our project at Davenport CC is completed and our time there does not coincide with the outing.  We are too busy in the East and Metropolitan NY area with projects just getting started.  Would have been a lot of fun to participate and talk about the project.

Enjoy the day.

Jim Nagle
It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

Scott Wintersteen

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2014, 08:26:42 PM »
Terry:

That date works for me, you can mark me down.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2014, 08:28:32 PM »
Terry:

That date works for me, you can mark me down.

Great.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark Smolens

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 03:02:51 PM »
Terry, please add my friend Ron Fox to the list...

Terry Lavin

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2014, 02:10:12 PM »
Terry, please add my friend Ron Fox to the list...

That fills up quite nicely.  See my reply #26 for final details.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 02:17:05 PM by Terry Lavin »

Mike Treitler

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2014, 03:04:08 PM »
Sounds great.  Thanks so much Terry!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2014, 08:31:42 AM »
We have one open spot...

Terry Lavin

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2014, 09:43:36 AM »
So, we're all set for Thursday, but still have one opening if anybody's available. 

Housekeeping: Feel free to get to the club around 1:30 to hit a couple balls and get familiarized.  Our host is Gary Mostow. The plan is to ride with carts and a forecaddie, who should be paid in cash.  Bring a check payable to Gary Mostow in the amount of $160 which covers golf, cart, drinks an dinner.  Given the quality of the golf and the dinner, the low price essentially means one of the two "services" is free!  Caddies are available if anybody wants to walk, but the club only allows walk/carry if no caddies were to be available.  Cocktails, appetizers at 6:30 with dinner to follow.

I should also apologize in advance for the weather.  It's going to be 68 degrees with no humidity and clouds for decoration only. 

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Jud_T

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2014, 06:52:32 PM »
Probably the nicest day of the year.  What a miss....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Terry Lavin

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2014, 09:10:13 AM »
We had a great day. Great golf course presentation by Brian B. and his crew. The bunkering was uniformly praised and the greens were quite challenging. The course itself is a great amalgam of very stout two-shotters counterbalanced by a couple intriguing shorties. There are a couple short par 5's and a pair of real testers. As for the one shotters, the 237 yard tenth is one of the toughest in town. All in all, a fun challenge and pleasant mix of holes with well placed and great looking bunkers. 

Kudos to Jim Nagle for a job well done. He turned vanilla into mocha.  Many thanks to Gary Mostow for being such a generous host.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 09:13:14 AM by Terry Lavin »

Mike Treitler

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2014, 09:41:15 AM »
Thank you Terry and Gary and anyone else involved in setting this up.   I had a blast and the golf course is in fantastic shape.   I loved the layout and thought it had great variety forcing the golfer to truly utilize every club in the bag.    

Great event!

Andrew Buck

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2014, 09:42:55 AM »
Glad you had a great day and disappointed that I couldn't make it.

I may be biased, but Brian is among the best in the business, as well as a great gentleman.

JNagle

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2014, 10:29:02 AM »
Andrew -

I concur with your sentiments about Brian.  The conditions he and his staff provide for their members are exceptional.  Those guys are meticulous and it starts at the top and trickles down. 

I am a better person for having worked with Brian at Bryn Mawr.  He's that kind of individual.  Well, except for his love of the Sox.
It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

Mark Smolens

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2014, 10:38:39 AM »
Thanks again to his Honor for putting this together. My buddies and I had a great time on a really wonderful golf course. Green complexes are fabulous, and the conditions were impeccable. Can't wait to get back there for my round with Brian that I won on the GCSAA auction!!!

Andrew Buck

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2014, 11:08:58 AM »

Well, except for his love of the Sox.

Giving proof to the term "nobody's perfect".

Terry Lavin

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2014, 05:53:06 PM »

Well, except for his love of the Sox.

Giving proof to the term "nobody's perfect".

Some of us prefer the major league team in town, but we understand the attraction to the neighborhood the Cubs play in.

Bill Faley

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2014, 07:09:27 PM »
I concur with the sentiments above. Thank you to Gary for hosting, Terry for arranging, and Dan for providing the history and photo tour of William Langford.

It was a great day for golf and I have to say the conditioning of Bryn Mawr was outstanding. Had the pleasure of playing with Brian (the superintendant) who he gave us great descriptions of how the recent changes affected the course and the proper way to some birdies. Plus he cheers for the proper baseball team as well!

Hope to get another look in the future at a gem of a course just outside of the Chicago city limits. Don't hesitate if you have the opportunity.

Dan Moore

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2014, 07:47:25 PM »
A look down the stout 18th hole cited by Brian B. as the biggest improvement to the course.  Well done Gary and Brian and thanks to Terry for organizing!!

"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Scott Wintersteen

« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2014, 09:12:43 AM »
Terry and Gary,

Thank you very much for setting this up.  It was great to play the course and lets not forget about the awesome veal chop that was served aferwards.  Appreciate it. 

Steve Green

Re: Bryn Mawr GCA Day
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2014, 10:03:44 PM »
Belated thank you to Gary our host and Terry for pulling it all together.  The day was beautiful and the greens and bunkers make the course special.  And by the way dinner was as advertised.  Sorry that Dan pulled up lame. 
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
Bertrand Russell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back