News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

I had a fantastic day out in Brewster, WA this past Saturday playing one of the very few golf courses to open in 2014, Gamble Sands.

Gamble Sands is located in western Washington amid high desert where the sand-based landforms rise and fall like giant waves among the hills. If you have been to the Nebraska Sand Hills, this land would look very familiar to you. Most of the land here is used for apple orchards, but it was meant to be used for golf!

If I can convey one thing about what Gamble Sand is about, I hope it is fun. Gamble Sands is not a place where you are going toe to toe with the course for 18 rounds and feel like you survived it at the end. It is a place where you will be reminded that golf is supposed to be about having fun out in the sun. I hope my photos show it.

The clubhouse is perfect for this unassuming golf course. The veranda is a great place to enjoy a drink and enjoy this view...

Scorecard

Now, that is out of the way, let's begin...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 11:24:15 AM by Richard Choi »

Richard Choi

Hole 1, Par 4, 422 Yards
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 01:23:23 AM »
Flyover: http://www.bestapproachflyovers.com/GMB_gamblesands/flyovers/hole01.mp4

The first hole is a gentle opener with a very wide and opening fairway.

At first, it is a bit disorienting as there isn't a particular feature that draws your eye. Most of the features seem to blend across the line, and the lack of view to the flag keeps you guessing.

The ideal line, however, is to the bunker on the right which is reachable by driver. If you can lay up just short of it, you have an opening view to the flag on the left.

If you hit to the left side of the fairway...

Your view to the green is blocked by sand and mounds and you must guess as to where to aim and how deep to hit it.

The green is sitting in a shallow bowl. If you miss to the left short or long right, they will act as backboards. The only place to avoid is short right where a greenside bunker guards errant shots.

The green has subtle contours that will probably give you problems when they are running at around 9 or 10. As brand new greens, they are currently running at 6 or 7 which makes most putts much straighter than what the architect had in mind.

The tee to the next hole is located right next to the green. That is true with EVERY hole at Gamble Sands. This may be one of the most walking friendly course I have EVER played. Routing for walking is fantastic and it is a pure pleasure to walk this course.

And as you walk up a little mound to the next tee, your eyes are presented with...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 11:31:28 AM by Richard Choi »

Richard Choi

Hole 2, Par 4, 301 yards
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 01:40:11 AM »
... to one of the prettiest holes you will ever lay your eyes on.

Flyover: http://www.bestapproachflyovers.com/GMB_gamblesands/flyovers/hole02.mp4

You are standing high above Columbia River with views of canyons and mountains all around you. Amidst this panorama, the hold almost disappears into the background. You breath deeply for a second enjoying the view, then start concentrating on the task at hand.

BTW, the starter said the second hole is the "most photographed hole in the world!". I think he meant the most photographed hole by golf magazines in the last month (Gamble Sands has gotten some pub lately), but I understand the sentiment.

This is a driveable hole which plays significantly shorter than the yardage indicates. With the lower elevation and running, firm and fast fairways, you may not need more than a fairway wood or a hybrid to reach the green.

You want to hit a nice high draw over the bunker in the middle of the fairway. If you miss straight or to the right, you should still have a very accessible approach/chip to the green. Missing to the left may post a bit more challenge.

The fairway runs right to left, towards the green. However, if you miss to the left, you will be face with this bunker.

The green is fairly subtle. I would have expected something a bit more wild based on how short the hole is. There is enough to make you think, but if you hit the green with your tee shot, you will have a reasonable chance at an eagle not matter where you end up.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 11:38:10 AM by Richard Choi »

Brent Carlson

Re: Gamble Sands - David McLay Kidd - Photo Tour
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 11:20:37 AM »
The photos are excellent Richard.  As Sean Leary pointed out - there are a lot of reward-reward holes, as opposed to risk-reward.  This is the case with number 2.  It's a fun hole at the beginning of a great adventure.  Looking forward to the rest...

Daryl David

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 11:44:46 AM »
I wish Kidd would have put some movement in the fairways.  You won't encounter anything but perfectly level lies.  How do you shape fairways that level?  Reminds me of watching highways being built and graders going back and forth followed by rollers.

Sean Leary

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 02:26:58 PM »
I wish Kidd would have put some movement in the fairways.  You won't encounter anything but perfectly level lies.  How do you shape fairways that level?  Reminds me of watching highways being built and graders going back and forth followed by rollers.

DD,

I didn't necessarily think that. I thought the speed of the fairways put all lies into flat spots in general, but that there was decent movement.

I have more of an issue with the flattish greens..

Matthew Essig

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 02:31:21 PM »

DD,

I didn't necessarily think that. I thought the speed of the fairways put all lies into flat spots in general, but that there was decent movement.

+1
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Chris DeToro

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 02:35:00 PM »
The numerous posts on this topic have made me realize that I need to take a trip to eastern WA

Carl Nichols

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 02:46:02 PM »
The clubhouse is very cool. 

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 02:50:24 PM »
Richard,
Did you play in any wind? I didn't. Forecast has winds under 10mph for the next week.

With the minimum green depth of 45 yds, and extending above 75 yds, and little wind it reeks of high GIR, but you'd better be picking the right quadrant.

Which hole location scenario did you play?. When I played they were in Zone 3 (back on #1).  Looks like you had Zone 1.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 02:52:11 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Matthew Essig

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 03:03:53 PM »
Richard,
Did you play in any wind? I didn't. Forecast has winds under 10mph for the next week.

With the minimum green depth of 45 yds, and extending above 75 yds, and little wind it reeks of high GIR, but you'd better be picking the right quadrant.

Which hole location scenario did you play?. When I played they were in Zone 3 (back on #1).  Looks like you had Zone 1.

I played the same day as Rich, so I can answer the questions. The breeze picked up around noon but never got above 10 mph. The hole locations were in zone 2. Even with the huge greens, there were some tough hole locations in that zone. Back left on 2. Middle left on 4. All the way in the back on 5. Middle right on 7. Back right on 8. Tucked behind the bunker middle right on 10. Back left on 11. Front right on 13. Back right on 14. Back right raised bowl on 16. Back left on 17. All of those hole locations had me thinking of where to leave it/should I attack it.
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Sean Leary

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 03:07:23 PM »
I have played zones 1 and 2. 2 was easier than 1, especially on the par 3's..

On this course there are a lot of 80 foot putts that are dead straight......

Daryl David

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 03:10:04 PM »
Quote from: Sean Leary link=topic=59406.msg1398191#msg1398191 date=1408993643

On this course there are a lot of 80 foot putts that are dead straight......
[/quote

+1

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 03:23:36 PM »

DD,

Sean,

Kidd has been back to re-contour fairly new greens in the past at the Castle Course & Tetherow, perhaps he took the safer route this time around?  Not an excuse for boring greens, but maybe the reason.

TK

Richard Choi

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 04:17:27 PM »
I think any talk of reshaping the green is WAY too early.

I suspect, based on the subtlety of the contouring, that th greens were designed for speeds much higher than 5 or 6 stimp that we experienced. Once the growing in phase is over and and the speed gets around 9 or 10, you will find another level of challenges here.

I think the greens are fine as is.

Sean Leary

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 04:36:48 PM »

I suspect, based on the subtlety of the contouring, that th greens were designed for speeds much higher than 5 or 6 stimp that we experienced. Once the growing in phase is over and and the speed gets around 9 or 10, you will find another level of challenges here.

You say subtle. I say flattish.

Greens were faster than a 5 or a 6, Rich. You should know that from playing Chambers. 5-6 is REALLY slow. They were 7-8 or so....Agreed they will be better as they speed them up.

Tyler, a few of his greens at Tetherow were absurd and way over the top. He just went too far the other way this time, IMO. There are some well contoured greens, but a lot are really quite flat.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 04:44:21 PM »

I think this is a good point. I know people are talking about how easy this course is, but most flattish greens rolling at an 8 will be pretty easy. Once they are rolling closer to the intended speeds, I am sure these will show more of their subtleties. (disclaimer: I haven't played it yet, so I am basing this off of pictures and what people who have played it have said.)

Richard Choi

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 04:45:34 PM »
I am quite familiar with slow greens from playing Chambers.

The current CB greens are running about 8 to 9 (10 or above is not playable for most mortals). The greens at GS are significantly slower than that. They are about as slow as when CB first opened. There is no way these greens are anywhere near 8.

I think the judgments on greens should be reserved until they are running at normal speed.

Sean Leary

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 04:53:36 PM »

The current CB greens are running about 8 to 9 (10 or above is not playable for most mortals). The greens at GS are significantly slower than that. They are about as slow as when CB first opened. There is no way these greens are anywhere near 8.

I think the judgments on greens should be reserved until they are running at normal speed.

Just because you shot your career low there doesn't make you all knowing on green speeds.. ;D

Matthew and Brent, what do you say?

Daryl David

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 04:59:24 PM »

Just because you shot your career low there doesn't make you all knowing on green speeds..

That will be the fourth person I have heard that shot their low career round at Gamble in the last 2 weeks. Look out for a stampede to get there and go low!

Sean Leary

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 05:04:10 PM »
I have played there with 4 people. 3 shot their career low the first time around.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 05:05:29 PM »

Richard,

I wasn't suggesting the greens should be changed, I was simply musing that perhaps the relatively flat greens at Gamble Sands are a result of the over-the-top greens Kidd has designed in the past, which were not greeted enthusiastically.

TK

Richard Choi

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 05:07:46 PM »
For Jaeger's sakes, lets keep any talk of career rounds out of this discussion... ;)

Daryl David

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 05:12:01 PM »
I know a woman that played Gamble Sands last week and first time around shot a score that was 8 shots below her index. Second round was 10 shots below her index. Naturally she thinks it is the greatest golf course on the planet. 😃

Sean Leary

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2014, 05:18:29 PM »
For Jaeger's sakes, lets keep any talk of career rounds out of this discussion... ;)

Just keeping you in check in case you saying else outlandish like your 5 on the stimp claims. I know Peter Pittock was there a couple of weeks ago and he thought they were 8.5 or so..

Don't say stupid things and I won't need to correct you... ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back