News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

'Under the radar' courses you'd really like to play New
« on: August 20, 2014, 01:33:10 PM »
I'm sure given time and money we'd all love to play the biggies, Royal this, National that, etc etc........but there are loads and loads of quality courses out there, 'downsizers'(?), wee gems and lesser lights etc.

So what lesser courses have you heard about herein or elsewhere or seen photos of or read articles about and would really like to play?

Some UK names to set the ball rolling -

Scotland - Fortrose & Rosemarkie
Ireland - Dooks
Wales - Conwy
England - Yelverton

atb
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:44:27 AM by Thomas Dai »

Tom_Doak

Re: Lesser courses you'd really like to play
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 02:31:24 PM »
My list for this fall is Longmeadow, Glens falls, Teugega, Monroe, Cc of Buffalo, and Mayfield.  Not that I think they will be "lesser".

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 02:48:23 PM »
Tom Doak

I seem to remember that LuLu was on your list.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Emil Weber

Re: 'Lesser' courses you'd really like to play
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 03:36:42 PM »
Thomas,
Among a few other courses I'm hopefully going to play in the Highlands in september, i'm really keen about Reay. I haven't heard anything too great about it but it looks wonderful and just could be a real hidden gem.  Quite likely though my expectations are waayy too high. I will report!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 03:38:37 PM by Emil Weber »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 04:36:16 PM »
Thomas,

England-Hunstanton
Scotland-Elgin, Fraserburgh

Emil, Reay is an excellent course with holes playing in all directions so as to make any wind direction. Good diversity of holes and spectacular views both seaward and inland. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Jon
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 03:52:09 AM by Jon Wiggett »

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 07:15:22 PM »
I have lots of newbies, here are 22 for starters

Welshpool
Leckford
Sheringham
Reigate Heath
Windermere
Crosland Heath
East Devon
Thurleston
Rutland Water
Cumberwell Park
Arklow
Corballis
Seapoint
Bettystown and Laytown
Bann 9
Bushfoot
Kirkistown
Annesley Links
Dunfanaghy
Northwest
Bull Bay
Cullen

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 07:21:25 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jud_T

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 09:43:12 PM »

Culver
Maxincuckee
Black Forest
Quail Crossing
West Bend
Warren Course
Pilgrims Run
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 10:37:06 PM »
Tom Doak

I seem to remember that LuLu was on your list.

Maybe I'll have time to get there, 22 months before that volume is put to bed.

There are still a lot of courses on my list.  But I've also got a lot of people depending on me in my day job and at home, so I don't get to see as many as I would like.

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 03:33:59 AM »
Ever since Robin Hiseman's thread on Aberfoyle I've been extremely keen to get there. But it could be a while before that happens, so I'll add Northwoods, the 9 hole MacKenzie course in Monte Rio, to this list as well.
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

Scott Warren

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 08:10:53 AM »
Painswick

A train every hour direct from Paddington to Stroud. A £10 cab from the train to the course. And a pub on the platform (more or less) as you wait for the train home!

What's holding you back?

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 08:53:27 AM »
I'm not sure what constitutes a lesser course but I find these fun to play:
England--Prestbury
Wales--Bull Bay
Scotland--Pitlochery
Ireland--Valley course at Portrush and Arklow
USA--Country Club at Woodmore outside DC, Raleigh CC, The Reserve at Pawley's Island, Catamount Ranch in Steamboat Springs.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 09:41:54 AM »
Painswick

A train every hour direct from Paddington to Stroud. A £10 cab from the train to the course. And a pub on the platform (more or less) as you wait for the train home!

What's holding you back?

Sunshine?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 10:11:39 AM »
Thomas,
Among a few other courses I'm hopefully going to play in the Highlands in september, i'm really keen about Reay. I haven't heard anything too great about it but it looks wonderful and just could be a real hidden gem.  Quite likely though my expectations are waayy too high. I will report!

Reay ,Wick and Durness would be a great trip of gems I've not played with a repeat of Brora,Fortrose and Rosemarkie on the way up
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Eric Smith

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 10:23:16 AM »
England
Cleeve Hill
Kington

Scotland
Shiskine
Dunaverty
Machrie

USA
The Fields (GA)
Penny Branch (SC)
Bunker Hill (CO)
Walden (TX)
The Mines (MI)
Pilgrims Run (MI)
The Rose (MI)
Sharon (OH)
Brookside (Columbus, OH)
Shelter Island (NY)

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 10:35:17 AM by Eric Smith »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 10:59:37 AM »
Thomas,
Reay ,Wick and Durness would be a great trip of gems I've not played with a repeat of Brora,Fortrose and Rosemarkie on the way up

Emil - looking forward to hearing how you get on.

Jeff - even without playing 'the biggie' at RDGC those courses you've named would indeed be a terrific 'gem trip', even more so if Golspie, Tain, Bonar Bridge, Helmsdale, Porthmahomac and a poster herein's own course with a name beginning with the letter 'B' were added.

Fort Augustus is a course that's been mentioned a few times as worth a visit - there are some great photos of it on Franks course architecture photographs website -http://golfarchitecturepictures.com/Web%20Galleries/Scotland/Fort%20Augustus/index.htm

atb
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 11:14:19 AM by Thomas Dai »

James Boon

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 02:46:12 PM »
Thomas,

I think some of us here, probably yourself included don't consider these courses "lesser" but don't worry I think I know what you are getting at! Here are the ones I've not played that I'm constantly trying to plan trips around and clearly failing...

Harris
Gairloch
Traigh
Glencruitten
Tobermory
Iona
Carradale
Dunaverty
Reay
Wick
Tarbat
Fortrose & Rosemarkie
Cullen
Fraserburgh
Carrbridge
Fort Augustus
Aberfoyle
Pitlochry

That's enough for Scotland! I need to start getting to see some of these quick before I do anything daft like join Brora! Also worth noting in reference to Niall Carlton's recent thread that virtually all of those are coastal!

Hallamshire
Reddish Vale
Delamere Forest
Ogden
Crosland Heath

All these are reasonably easy trips for me so I hand my head in shame...  ::) Lastly...

Berkhamstead
Reigate Heath
Crowborough Beacon
Minchinhampton
Church Stretton
Cleeve Cloud
Yelverton

Afraid I'm going to miss out Wales and Ireland as that's enough for me to list without getting depressed! I feel bad that I often can't help myself in ticking off a big gun when travelling but the "lesser" courses I've gone out of my way to play recently have all been delights and so I'm determined to play more of these!

Thanks Thomas, wonderful little thread  ;D

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 04:39:38 PM »
Here's my list of the lessers that I'm hoping to play in my area (though, to be fair, I'm not sure it's fair to call all of these "lessers"):

Philly area:
Plymouth CC
Squires
Meadowlands
Llanerch
Bidermann/Vicmead

A little north of Philly:
CC of Scranton
Schuylkill CC
Glenmaura National

New Jersey
Hollywood GC
Deal GC
Ridge at Back Brook
Roselle
Hackensack
Rumson

New York:
Cold Spring
Blind Brook
Brookville
Westhampton
Southampton
Belleport
Nassau
Thousand Islands
Lake Success
Engineers
Glen Head
Huntington
Gardiners Bay
Whippoorwill
Rockaway Hunting Club

Clearly, I've got a lot of work to do.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 04:43:13 PM »
James,

you should add Abernethy which I don't think you have played and in England Baildon and Fixby (Hudderfield) if you have yet to play them.

Jon

Mark McKeever

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 04:44:50 PM »
Here's my list of the lessers that I'm hoping to play in my area (though, to be fair, I'm not sure it's fair to call all of these "lessers"):

Philly area:
Plymouth CC
Squires
Meadowlands
Llanerch
Bidermann/Vicmead

CC of Scranton
Schuylkill CC
Glenmaura National

New Jersey
Hollywood GC
Deal GC
Ridge at Back Brook
Roselle
Hackensack
Rumson

New York:
Cold Spring
Blind Brook
Brookville
Westhampton
Southampton
Belleport
Nassau
Thousand Islands
Lake Success
Engineers
Glen Head
Huntington
Gardiners Bay
Whippoorwill
Rockaway Hunting Club

Jon, you will not be disappointed at Schuylkill, some fantastic Ross greens that are worth the drive from PHL.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Paul Gray

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 05:41:20 PM »
I'm really never too sure what constitutes a 'lesser' course but, keeping it pretty local, I must get to both Hockley and Worthing one of these days. Otherwise a Cleeve Could, Painswick and Old Minchinhampton needs to be undertaken at some point. I'd also like to get back to East Anglia at some point for a tour of a few courses a bit further from Ipswich.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Tim Martin

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 07:52:08 PM »

Philly area:
Plymouth CC
Squires
Meadowlands
Llanerch
Bidermann/Vicmead

CC of Scranton
Schuylkill CC
Glenmaura National

New Jersey
Hollywood GC
Deal GC
Ridge at Back Brook
Roselle
Hackensack
Rumson

New York:
Cold Spring
Blind Brook
Brookville
Westhampton
Southampton
Belleport
Nassau
Thousand Islands
Lake Success
Engineers
Glen Head
Huntington
Gardiners Bay
Whippoorwill
Rockaway Hunting Club

I guess the term "lesser" is open to interpretation or needs to be defined. Both Whippoorwill and Hollywood are in the Golfweek Top 100 Classic List while CC of Scranton, Engineers, Southampton, and Westhampton are in the Next 100 Classic list. A number of the others most would beg, borrow and steal to play as well. "Lesser" really is a nebulous designation. ;D

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2014, 10:36:01 AM »

Philly area:
Plymouth CC
Squires
Meadowlands
Llanerch
Bidermann/Vicmead

CC of Scranton
Schuylkill CC
Glenmaura National

New Jersey
Hollywood GC
Deal GC
Ridge at Back Brook
Roselle
Hackensack
Rumson

New York:
Cold Spring
Blind Brook
Brookville
Westhampton
Southampton
Belleport
Nassau
Thousand Islands
Lake Success
Engineers
Glen Head
Huntington
Gardiners Bay
Whippoorwill
Rockaway Hunting Club

I guess the term "lesser" is open to interpretation or needs to be defined. Both Whippoorwill and Hollywood are in the Golfweek Top 100 Classic List while CC of Scranton, Engineers, Southampton, and Westhampton are in the Next 100 Classic list. A number of the others most would beg, borrow and steal to play as well. "Lesser" really is a nebulous designation. ;D

Exactly. And yet I think we'd agree they're all "lesser" than, say, NGLA. It's an odd term to use to try to describe a golf course. Not to mention, having never played any of them, it's tough to really know which are really lesser than others, so to speak.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Chris DeToro

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2014, 11:02:21 AM »
It seems like "under the radar" may be a better term?

Thomas Dai

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 12:02:51 PM »
When I started the thread I used the term 'lesser' as it was the word that came to mind. Even though I knew it wasn't a spot-on description of what I was trying to get at it seemed near enough.

But you folks are correct and I like Chris's suggestion so I've changed the title in the lead post accordingly.

Some very interesting selections have been mentioned, indeed some I would like to visit.

atb

Robert Emmons

Re: 'Under the radar' courses you'd really like to play
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2014, 12:05:07 PM »
Jon, Your invited to Huntington CC anytime...RHE

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back