News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Frank Pont

Favorite Tom Simpson quotes
« on: August 18, 2014, 01:32:22 PM »
I like these:

I am often asked, “On what principles do you lay out a golf course, assuming you are given a free hand?”. My answer is always the same - I have no principles about a golf course or anything else, as such things, in my opinion, exist solely for the guidance of fools. As to the second point – unless I am given a free hand – I do not lay out the golf course. This answer has at least the merit of simplicity, candour and truth.

The middle of the fairway – except for perhaps once in the round for the sake of variety – should never be the true line to the hole

I am strongly opposed to the frequent raking of sand bunkers

Perhaps above everything, the golf architect must have a keen sense of the ridiculous - commonly called humour - for, wherever he goes, is he not always taught how the course should be laid out, or altered, as the case may be. According to his temperament he will listen patiently or impatiently to everybody, in the hope that by some fortunate chance he may once in a way learn something useful. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred he will meet with disappointment, but he should endeavour to keep smiling, and never allow himself to be deflected from what he knows to be the right thing.

Fairways can be too good. It does not make for good golf for the turf to “support the ball"

Balance nothing if you can avoid it

Ninety percent of criticisms made by club members are due to invincible ignorance

Tom_Doak

Re: Favorite Tom Simpson quotes
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 01:41:44 PM »
My favorite was the one I used in The Anatomy of a Golf Course:

"The educated taste admires simplicity of design and sound workmanship for their own sake, rather than over-decoration and the crowding of artifical hazards."

[Tom Simpson was a minimalist, way before me.]

But I do not remember the first quote you provide, about laying out golf courses and having no principles.  Both of those are things I agree with 100%, but seldom say out loud, because most clients would think I was crazy or uncontrollable.

Frank Pont

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 01:53:54 PM »
Tom,

it comes from a rare Carters brochure that Simpson wrote in:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10772736/CARTERS%20Simpson.pdf  enjoy!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 05:18:06 PM »
Frank:

Thanks for the link.  Not a lot of new ground covered in the article, but it is always fun to read from Simpson and you did well to pick out the best bits.

Paul Gray

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 05:42:24 PM »
Ninety percent of criticisms made by club members are due to invincible ignorance

This has long been a favourite. It always brings a wry grin.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 06:29:15 PM »
My favorite one:

Sir, my typist, being a lady, cannot take down what I should like to say to you. I, being a gentleman, must not say it. You, being neither, will comprehend what I mean.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

BCrosby

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 01:32:36 PM »
Frank -

What is the date of the Simpson article?

Bob

Frank Pont

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 03:13:43 PM »
Bob,

no date given, but obviously after 1920 given that he refers to MacKenzies book.

I would expect late 1920's or early 1930's ......

Paul Gray

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 05:00:41 PM »
Ulrich,

I forgot about that one. Brilliant.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

John Mayhugh

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 08:17:15 AM »
Thanks for that article, Frank.

I like this one:

I do not suggest for one moment that people are not entitled to express their opinions as to what they like or dislike, but when they go to the length of saying that some particular feature is good or bad, they are more often than not influenced by some peculiarity of their own play.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 08:36:40 AM »
I am particularly fond of these two quotes from his report to Royal Aberdeen in 1919, after they had asked him for his views of the course, in which he opened with:

"We hesitate to use superlatives but we have no hesitation in doing so in regard to the wonderful features of this ground.  At the present moment however there are many grave defects which we will enumerate."

and concluded:

"Both in the interests of the Club and in our own interests we hope that the council will not take the view that they can carry out work themselves fropm the report and our conversation on that ground.  A satisfactory result would not be obtained.  Only one club has attempted to do that and the result was a dismal and costly failure distressing to all parties."
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Frank Pont

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 10:59:39 AM »

"Both in the interests of the Club and in our own interests we hope that the council will not take the view that they can carry out work themselves fropm the report and our conversation on that ground.  A satisfactory result would not be obtained.  Only one club has attempted to do that and the result was a dismal and costly failure distressing to all parties."

There is one potential client I am going to use that line on  ;)

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 01:37:00 PM »
“The vital thing about a hole is that it must either be more difficult than it looks or look more difficult than it is. It must never be what it looks”

“The essence of the game of golf as handed down to us throughout the ages is that there should be present a very large element of luck, as distinguished from other games such as croquet, lawn tennis and billiards”

“The golfer is a vain man and expects short putts to go into the hole”

“They don’t want golf courses, they want duffers’ paradises”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back