News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: Good - Good In Match Play
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2014, 06:17:48 PM »
Reasonably generous concessions can be a good tactic until the 2.5 footer on the 15th, the oppo has mentally had it conceded and is made to putt, 50+% of the time they miss!

Mark,

A tactic I've often used myself, until a regular social partner and I teamed up in foursomes recently and he pointed out I was far too generous and he was going to take charge of when to give putts.

We get to the quarter finals of the county inter club foursomes and he chips up to about 3 ft for par. Our opponents follow with a chip to a similar distance, also for par. Its worth noting its the 11th hole and we are 6 up... My partner, quick as you like stalks up to the hole and looks at our opponents and offers a half? He doesn't say good - good, he offers a half. My jaw hits the flaw as everyone walks off. He had forgotten that we had a shot!

Cheers,

James

He cost you a chance to hang a dog license on those guys!

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2014, 12:48:39 PM »
I was playing an extremely decorated amateur in a match in So Cal here and he asked me on the 6th hole if I wanted to go "good good".  He had a six footer and I had a five footer, and he was 1-up in the match.  He was definitely probing my experience because anyone in their right mind would NEVER go "good good" when they are down... EVER.  I said, "I think we should putt 'em."  He missed, I made, ALL SQUARE. Steam came out of his ears.  I then dropped a 30-footer on him on the next hole and the steam turned to fire.   

He went on to beat me 3&2 but I know he left with some respect for me.  It didn't feel good to lose, but it was a nice consolation that this former national champion knew who I was now.  We're very friendly to this day.

So, for anyone out there that plays any match play... if you're down in the match, NEVER EVER EVER accept "good good" unless going "good good" results in you winning the hole.  Why anyone would basically concede an opportunity to win back a hole when they are down is beyond me, even for the worst of putters.

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

James Boon

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2014, 06:13:58 PM »
He cost you a chance to hang a dog license on those guys!

Bill,

Indeed! Actually in the format of the county foursomes you play till the end but I know what you mean. Both a bit shaken, we won 4 up eventually.

Jeff,

Why would anyone ever offer or accept a "good good" if it would mean them losing the hole?

The point of my earlier post is that "good good" is always for a half! Or so I thought  ::)

The way I see it is that the "good good" offer is a way of saying we've both done enough here, so lets call it a half and move onto the next. Its probably to avoid you both grinding over a 2 or 3 ft putt when a half is probably about right, its probably the middle of the round and no one has a significant advantage in the match. Nothing more sneeky or tactical than that?  8)

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back