News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Royer

Congress Lake Country Club
« on: August 14, 2014, 07:49:09 AM »
One of the greatest benefits from this special place is discovering new gems. I spent a couple of days playing this Donald Ross.  I regret I did not have a camera however I plan on revisiting to grab some pictures.   It has beautiful rolling fairways mirrored by undulated greens that can be very challenging.  Perhaps I should re title this thread to Many Thanks.  All of you have taken me to places I never would have seen.  For that gift I'm truly grateful. To those near Ohio I would recommend this short list of gems

Congress Lake
Moraine CC
Kirkland CC
Brookside Canton
Brookside Columbus

Brian Finn

Re: Congress Lake Country Club
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 09:04:41 AM »
Great post and list, David.  I completely agree.  The only course you mentioned that I have not yet played is Congress Lake, so I will be sure to get there soon.  I'd love to see some photos if you do take them. 

Perhaps the most pleasant surprise when I moved to Ohio five years ago was the abundance of wonderful, classic golf courses.  Beyond those most frequently lauded, and those that you have already called out, I would add a handful of additional lesser known courses that are well worth visiting.

Hyde Park CC (Ross)
Springfield CC (Ross)
Sylvania CC (W. Park Jr.)
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

BHoover

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 09:49:53 AM »
Congress Lake is a very fun course (reminds me of Mayfield, to a certain extent, because of the similar properties).  It's an old Ross design that features plenty of quirk and some decent elevation changes.  The greens are also a good set of greens (not like Canton Brookside, but still plenty challenging).  Congress is in need of some tree removal, but overall it's a great place to play. 

Congress tends to get overlooked because it's fiarly close to Canton Brookside and then you have the more well-known courses up in Cleveland.  But I urge anyone who is in the Akron/Canton area to definitely take the time to check out Congress.  In fact, be sure to play both Congress and Brookside.

Mark Jackson

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 04:22:10 PM »
Nice thread David. I enjoyed the one opportunity that I played Congress Lake. It has a nice set of greens, which are pretty well bunkered and is routed over an interesting property with some movement and elevation changes. I agree with the post from Brian Hoover that CLC would benefit from some tree removal. Really, most courses in Ohio could use some tree clearing - I am glad that my club removed a significant amount of trees over the past winter, it opened up some nice views and playing corridors, and appears to have benefited the turf as well.

Keeping with the Ross in Ohio theme, I think Westbrook Country Club in Mansfield should be added to the list. To me, it has a similar feel to Springfield C.C. with its location in one of Ohio's smaller cities. I prefer Springfield, but, like most of Ross' courses in Ohio, Westbrook also has an interesting set of greens. Westbrook's clubhouse is located on the highest portion of the property with the course below. The course plays down and back up the large hill several times during the round. It probably suffers because its not located in a major area (Mansfield is located about half way between Columbus and Cleveland).  There really aren't any other notable clubs to plan a trip around within forty-five minutes to an hour of Westbrook in any direction and, unless you are a junkie of The Shawshank Redemption, you probably aren't planning a trip to Mansfield.

Michael George

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 06:14:51 PM »
Congress Lake is a very nice course.  Definitely worth playing if in the area.  I especially am fond of holes 16-17. 

If you want to see pictures, go to:

http://www.dimpledrock.com/golf-photography/Congress-Lake-Club

However, it is not in the same conversation with Canton Brookside.  Brookside is the best course in the area and has the best set of greens in Ohio.  If you go up to Cleveland, you have Country Club Pepper Pike, Kirtland and Canterbury, followed by Elyria, Shaker Heights, Mayfield, Sand Ridge and others.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Billsteele

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 07:30:54 PM »
Congress Lake is a very good course. I really like the first par three with its elevated green. It is a shame that the lake is not really a factor in the course's routing. Most people are also a bit let down by the boring short par three 18th hole. It is definitely worth seeking out.

To me, Springfield is just below the better known Ross designs in the state (Scioto, Brookside and Inverness). It flies well below the radar but has a great routing, some quirk and tremendous variety in its holes. The greens are also very good. It is the course to seek out between Columbus and Dayton.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 09:37:48 PM »
Always was curious about what at CL is attributable to Wilie Park?
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Mark Jackson

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 10:39:39 PM »
Mike,

CLC's website attributes the course design to Park/Ross as follows:

"Congress Lake Club's golf course was originally established in 1919 and was designed by Wille Park Jr.  His design was located along the current golf course's holes eight through eighteen, eighteen being the only hole unchanged by our course's second designer, Donald Ross."

Would be interesting to know what, if any, features from the original design that Ross may have utilized in his redesign other than keeping the 18th hole intact.

Mike H

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 07:40:45 AM »
Am I the only one who thought this course was crammed into a small area?  I played there last summer and on many occasions we were ducking due to errant shots on adjacent holes.  I thought Congress Lake CC was an okay course providing I made it out in once piece.

Michael George

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 09:55:42 AM »
Mike H

I have played there many times and safety really has never been a problem. 

My biggest problem with Congress Lake was pointed out by Bill Steele.  The 18th hole is a real disappointment and not a very good finish.  The course deserves better than that finish. 
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

BCowan

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 02:33:54 PM »
Congress Lake is a very nice course.  Definitely worth playing if in the area.  I especially am fond of holes 16-17. 

If you want to see pictures, go to:

http://www.dimpledrock.com/golf-photography/Congress-Lake-Club

However, it is not in the same conversation with Canton Brookside.  Brookside is the best course in the area and has the best set of greens in Ohio.  If you go up to Cleveland, you have Country Club Pepper Pike, Kirtland and Canterbury, followed by Elyria, Shaker Heights, Mayfield, Sand Ridge and others.

Michael,

Great photo tour.  This tour reminds me how many great courses Ohio has.  CLC, looks as though it has really good bones. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back