News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Dunes Club vs. Whitinsville
« on: August 12, 2014, 06:05:10 PM »
I would like to do a match play between these two courses -- which seem to be the consensus #1 and #2 nine-hole courses in America -- to compare and contrast them.

Before I start my comparison, who else has actually played both and can contribute to the discussion?

Terry Lavin

Re: Dunes Club vs. Whitinsville
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 06:22:57 PM »
No, but I can fake it!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Chris DeToro

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 06:29:59 PM »
I've only played Whitinsville but have heard stories about the Dunes Club from a lot of people.  Not that it counts :)

Adam_Messix

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 06:59:06 PM »
Played both.  It's a matter of taste as to which one is better. 

Tom D
If memory serves, you weren't a huge fan of the holes across the street at Whitinsville (3 and 4).  Personally I thought the tee shot on 4 was awkward.  The Dunes may be a bit tight and tree lined for some tastes, but it was a good, honest, and fun test.  Both courses are simply outstanding in my opinion. 

Chris DeToro

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 07:22:42 PM »
I'll agree with the take on 3 and 4 though I did like the feature of the small collection of bunkers which I assume could be quite penal except for when you play down 3 fairway as I did

From what I understand, playing 18 at the Dunes Club is like playing two separate 9s--I didn't get that sense at Whitinsville as the "back" 9 was simply a bit longer from a different set of tees.  Is that correct? 

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 07:37:25 PM »
I've been to both!... Plus the Sacred 9, to complete the trifecta!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 07:38:35 PM »

Best in America first, then the winner can go for the World Championship.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 07:41:24 PM »
I'll agree with the take on 3 and 4 though I did like the feature of the small collection of bunkers which I assume could be quite penal except for when you play down 3 fairway as I did

From what I understand, playing 18 at the Dunes Club is like playing two separate 9s--I didn't get that sense at Whitinsville as the "back" 9 was simply a bit longer from a different set of tees.  Is that correct?  

I was back at Whitinsville last year, and as I walked up #3 I thought:  if this is the worst hole on the course, then it's a pretty damned good course.  I actually thought #3 was better with some clearing done behind the green.  I didn't remember if #4 tee was always back up that high.

The Dunes Club has more variation with its two sets of tees, but there are really only three or four holes that are much different ... notably the two par-3's.

I'll wait until morning to see if there's anyone voting besides Adam, Jaeger and myself.  Surely Mark Saltzman has been to both?  And I know Jim Urbina has been to both -- because I took him to both! -- but he might be biased, especially since that visit to Whitinsville was 15 years ago.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 07:44:46 PM by Tom_Doak »

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 08:02:56 PM »

Have you been drinking some of that Pink Jug?! They don't stand a chance v Mildenhall!!

Perhaps only the original 9hole version of Prairie Dunes could take down the Sacred 9

Phil McDade

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 08:38:41 PM »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 09:13:56 PM »

Have you been drinking some of that Pink Jug?! They don't stand a chance v Mildenhall!!

Perhaps only the original 9hole version of Prairie Dunes could take down the Sacred 9

I doubt either of them will beat Mildenhall on my card, but I don't believe it's sacred.  The winner deserves a shot at the title.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 09:17:28 PM »
Tom, when are we starting the match play??  Very curious to hear your thoughts as I played Whitinsville a few weeks ago and was very impressed

Kye Goalby

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 09:23:47 PM »
Tom,

I played both, but I heard Culver Academy, a course I prefer over the ones you mention, is getting some restoration work done by Bobby Weed this year.   If that is true -and they do a good job expanding greens, putting sand in bunkers,  work out the mowing lines and cut down some trees - I think that course could be  viewed by a few folks as  better than the other two you mention.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 12:46:45 AM by kyegoalby »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 09:29:27 PM »
Kye:

You are like one of those boxing promoters shamelessly interrupting the weigh-in to plug his own contender for the title!

Culver MIGHT be a contender after the work is done.  I don't know when you last saw Whitinsville, but Gil Hanse did a great job tuning it up recently.  And of course The Great Urbina is working his magic at The Dunes Club now.

On to the main event:

FIRST HOLE

The first at Whitinsville is a long par-5 [578 yards or something like that] starting right beside the small clubhouse.  Both tee shot and second shot play over valleys, the second deeper than the first, before the hole turns left and rises to a high plateau green.  It's a three-shot hole for all but Tour pros and a tough opener.

The first at The Dunes Club is a medium par-4, turning slightly to the left off the tee.  The second shot is uphill, but not as sharply as at Whitinsville.  It is more of a "firm handshake" opener.

My vote would put Whitinsville +1, although I can see some people preferring the other hole as an opener.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 09:33:09 PM »
So Hotchkiss is not worthy of consideration?     ???

BCowan

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 09:46:19 PM »
Sweetens Cove?  TD hasn't played there yet.   :o

Ben Sims

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 12:51:11 AM »
Ooh, front row seats for what looks to be a shootout. I've not seen either contender unfortunately. Thus laments the guy that hasn't seen what he needs to in order to be architecturally knowledgable.

I'm looking forward to the World Cup round after this CONCACAF match. If there is a better course within 5 minutes of a US military base as Mildenhall, I'm not aware.

Frank Pont

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 01:47:21 AM »
Tom Simpson's 9 holes course La Valiere at Morfontaine is in the world finals, easily.

Ken Fry

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2014, 07:12:21 AM »

Kye:

You are like one of those boxing promoters shamelessly interrupting the weigh-in to plug his own contender for the title!

Culver MIGHT be a contender after the work is done.  I don't know when you last saw Whitinsville, but Gil Hanse did a great job tuning it up recently.  And of course The Great Urbina is working his magic at The Dunes Club now.

Tom,

I'll be back up at Dunes Club later this month to see what Jim has done to the course.  It's been a few years since I played Dunes.  Unfortunately, I've not been to Whitinsville yet, but....

I have to echo Kye's statements about Culver.  There's so much potential with the bones of that course just bringing back standard maintenance practices could shoot that course into the national spotlight.

Ken

Chris DeToro

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2014, 08:48:29 AM »
Kye:

I didn't realize Gil had done work at Whitinsville...what changes were made? 

BCrosby

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 09:08:18 AM »
The University of the South nine-holer (Sewanee, Tennessee), recently redone by Gil Hanse, should be in the mix.  

A terrifically fun, challenging course.

Bob

BCrosby

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 09:14:02 AM »
"I have to echo Kye's statements about Culver.  There's so much potential with the bones of that course just bringing back standard maintenance practices could shoot that course into the national spotlight."

Having played the Culver course hundreds of times over four years while a student there, I'm not so sure about its potential. But I would love to be proven wrong.  ;)

Bob

Jud_T

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 09:25:11 AM »
The 8 original holes at Harrison Hills are nursing a double Jack and Coke in a small redneck dive bar somewhere in rural Indiana about now...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 10:44:16 AM »
I'm a huge fan of Whitinsville and would love to hear from others that have played both.  BTW the third may be the weakest, but it has a very deceptive green with  lots of break left to right and back to front.  Until I played it a few times it just didn't look like it would break as it does.  Overall, the design is excellent and the greens are even better, among the best I have ever played.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 10:45:26 AM »
Oh well I have to jump in with another finalist.
The new "short" course at Whispering Pines, superb.
That been said I have not played either of the two battling out it this fight for the right to face Newmarket in the final

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back