News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Shulman

Cabot Cliffs Update (incl photos)
« on: August 10, 2014, 10:49:14 PM »
I'm just back from a trip to Nova Scotia that included a visit to Inverness and Cabot Links.  While I thoroughly enjoyed the Cabot Links course, I was blown away by the tour I took of the Cabot Cliffs course that's scheduled to open next July.  Here are some pictures I took last Wednesday during a tour of the back nine that head pro Ryan Hawley was nice enough to conduct for me.

Here's the par-3 14th green.  Ryan explained that the big debate Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw faced with this hole was whether to leave the very large boulder jutting out of the bunker.  For now, at least, it's staying.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 12:39:58 AM by Andy Shulman »

Andy Shulman

Re: Cabot Cliffs Update
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 12:24:33 AM »
And here's the view from the back tee on #16.  Reminiscent of the same hole at Cypress Point.

While quite intimidating, Ryan pointed out that the proper play is well left of the green to let the ball feed down the tiers, as shown below.  It's still requires a very precise shot, as going long ends up in a bunker...or worse.

Andy Shulman

Re: Cabot Cliffs Update
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 12:34:12 AM »
And here's the view from the back tee on #17.  Yes, there's a golf hole out there.  While it's a totally blind tee shot, the hole is actually very short and will play, I believe, less than 300 yards.

Finally, here's a view down the 18th fairway, which plays along the cliff top.

While some of this may have been covered in other threads, Ryan pointed out that the resort owns about 500 acres and that Cabot Cliffs will occupy only a little over 200 acres.  So, maybe there's a Cabot Trails to be developed at some point in the future.  The place does have a vibe that's not unlike Bandon, but on a somewhat smaller scale....for now.

Also, to tie in with other threads, while Cabot Links does play firm and fast, it's more of a manufactured links than a true links.  Both courses will be fescue grass planted on an 8" - 12" layer of sand that sits on top of clay.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 12:37:11 AM by Andy Shulman »

Adam Clayman

Re: Cabot Cliffs Update (incl photos)
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 07:41:58 AM »
Didn't Mr. Peper and his committee decide Cabot was a true links?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 07:59:05 AM »

Either way, it really plays like one.  Crisp and bouncy fescue, yumm!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 09:51:45 AM »
Can you give us some ball park distances for the 14th and 16th?  That 14th reminds me a little of the 10th at Greywalls with the rock within the greenside bunker.  How much distance between the bunker with rock and green?  How much to clear the rock?  It looks like a pretty fair space between the bunker/rock and the false front, and probably some room with short grass or grassy hollow behind.  Then, with that sort of room, I'm fairly OK with it.  But, the rock in bunker, particularly near green, would not be my favorite concept in general. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Andy Shulman

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 10:10:42 AM »
RJ - I didn't get a good look at how close the boulder and bunker are to the 14th green.  Maybe GCAer Ben Mallach, who's working on the course through the summer and fall can provide that answer.  As for #16, I believe the distance from the back tee will be about 180 yards.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 11:13:30 AM »
That looks awesome, time to start thinking about a summer golf trip to the Maritimes.
Last 5:
Bobby Jones (FL) Arcadia Municipal (FL) Eisenhower Lakes (GA) Augusta Municipal (GA) Foresthills GC (GA)

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 01:00:31 PM »
It looks like the holes along the coast at CC, at least 16-18 play southbound whereas the CL holes along the coast (13, 15, 16) play northbound.  That could provide some interesting variety on windy days when you play both courses.

Jon Heise

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 08:56:07 PM »
That looks awesome, time to start thinking about a summer golf trip to the Maritimes.

Call me!   ;)
I still like Greywalls better.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 09:05:21 PM »

It's as much a true links as any course I've played in the UK. Reminds me a bit of Royal Porthcawl.

Can't wait to go back!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Matt Kardash

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 11:30:37 PM »
Yeah, not so sure how anyone could call Cabot Links a manufactured links.  ???

Maybe Cabot Cliffs will end up being the better golf course, but I doubt it will match Cabot Links in terms of ambiance. There is something very special about that course. It is not a flashy course at all. It just sits on the ground very quietly, wedged in between the ocean and the town. I don't think any course in North America can offer that sort of experience. It feels so genuinely Scottish in that way.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 11:37:26 PM by matt kardash »
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 05:01:19 PM »
update on Cabot Cliffs construction from their email updates

"As we approach the half-way point of August, the team is closing in on completion of the last 4 holes! With 14 holes seeded and 8 holes being mowed regularly, the new course is really taking shape.

As the construction phase winds down and the grow-in ramps up, our agronomy team will shift its attention from the bulk work of shaping, contouring and seeding to focus on preparing the course for opening day in 2015.

The meticulous task of finalising the bunker edges, mowing lines and perimeter tie-ins will carry on into the fall as the course starts to mature."
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 09:23:38 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 07:59:54 PM »

Maybe Cabot Cliffs will end up being the better golf course, but I doubt it will match Cabot Links in terms of ambiance. There is something very special about that course. It is not a flashy course at all. It just sits on the ground very quietly, wedged in between the ocean and the town. I don't think any course in North America can offer that sort of experience. It feels so genuinely Scottish in that way.

+100.   It relates to the town like many smaller Scottish courses.   And it seems half the town works there.  After playing both Cabot Links and Sagebrush, I think Rod Whitman is in the top tier of modern GCAs. 

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 07:20:07 AM »
Thanks to Ran and Ben for their involvement in this extremely important project!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 07:35:45 AM »

+100.   It relates to the town like many smaller Scottish courses.   And it seems half the town works there.  After playing both Cabot Links and Sagebrush, I think Rod Whitman is in the top tier of modern GCAs. 

This is what I liked about the photos I've seen of Cabot Links - A modern design that doesn't shout out to be noticed.

At the risk of sounding negative, that Cabot Cliffs 16th green looks very small for the shot required... And how are they deciding to deal with a completely blind hole (17th) of under 300 yards - Is there a viewing point seeing as the green will likely be in range?

Don Hyslop

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 09:18:49 PM »
Got this link to some good photos of the Cliffs from twitter.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/keithrhebb/12605716663/in/photostream/
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Andy Shulman

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 04:17:20 AM »
I concur with Ally and others regarding the understated nature of Cabot Links.  As for #16 at Cabot Cliffs, as it was explained to me, the preferred shot is well left of the green.  If played properly, the ball will kick to the right down a pair of tiers toward the hole, as is somewhat shown in the photo below.  The most forward tee - designed for the beginning player...really! - will be about 80 yards to the left of the green and will not require a forced carry and thus provides a bail out option.   It remains to be seen just how precise a shot will actually be required from the other tee boxes, as the green is quite small and is surrounded on three sides by bunkers.  For better or worse, it's definitely a hole that gets your attention.

For #17, I believe the golfer will get a view of where to land their drive as they walk down the 15th fairway, so a bit of pre-planning will be needed, at least the first time.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 12:06:34 PM »
Keith Rhebb just posted more photos on twitter today:

Howard Riefs

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 05:08:13 PM »
Update from Matt Ginella with accompanying photos and video:

http://www.golfadvisor.com/articles/cabot-cliffs-inverness-nova-scotia-canada-14789.htm

Of note:
"Cliffs, which will have six par 3s, six par 4s, and 6 par 5s, will have a soft open in the summer of 2015, with 48 rounds in July going to resort guests only. They will make another 60 rounds available in both August and September. Green fees will start at $110 in July, go to $130 in August, and based on green speeds, might get up to $160 by September. Through this upcoming winter, Cabot Links will add 12 rooms to the lodge, four four-bedroom golf villas, a small but high-end spa experience and there will be a temporary clubhouse at Cliffs."
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 06:05:20 PM »

http://www.golfadvisor.com/articles/cabot-cliffs-inverness-nova-scotia-canada-14789.htm

Of note:
"Cliffs, which will have six par 3s, six par 4s, and 6 par 5s, will have a soft open in the summer of 2015, with 48 rounds in July going to resort guests only. They will make another 60 rounds available in both August and September. Green fees will start at $110 in July, go to $130 in August, and based on green speeds, might get up to $160 by September. Through this upcoming winter, Cabot Links will add 12 rooms to the lodge, four four-bedroom golf villas, a small but high-end spa experience and there will be a temporary clubhouse at Cliffs."

Correlating green fees with green speeds is a dangerous concept.....

"We need a little more revenue.  Get that Stimpmeter up to 16, dammit!"   ;D

jeffwarne

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2014, 06:10:37 PM »

Of note:

Correlating green fees with green speeds is a dangerous concept.....

"We need a little more revenue.  Get that Stimpmeter up to 16, dammit!"   ;D

+1 ;) :o ;D ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Let's hope that's a Ginella misinterpretation or misquote
you could say the same thing by saying "course conditions" rather than reenforce the public perception that green speed is the end all be all, especially at a place that definitely knows better
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back