News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Baldwin

Played Gamble Sands today
« on: August 02, 2014, 12:16:36 AM »
Course is breathtaking, views are extraordinary, routing is spectacular.  Took a few photo's (below).

I played with 2 gentleman (one a member) and they played the "back" tee (their tips are called medal) so I joined them there in an effort to enjoy their company more, it plays at about 6700 from the "back".  Shot 73 and got home on 3 of the 4 par 5's and then three putted all 3 for par.  That was what I had the most issue (difficulty) with was the greens.  The wall to wall fescue is beautiful but just had a hard time with speed on the greens.  The course is straight up FUN.  It's challenging, not hard, but also not easy, it can bite you in a few places.  However the HUGE number(s) on your scorecard at this course will be few and far between.

I HIGHLY recommend the place if you have a chance.

View from the clubhouse looking west towards the putting green, first tee is connected to the green and can be seen where the two dark dots are behind the last little flag in the distance, the river and the small town of Brewster, WA are in the background.

DMK hitting the ceremonial first shot on hole #1 prior to play commencing.

Hole #2.  Drivable par 4 I felt this to be the most picturesque hole on a course with 18 picturesque holes.  Plays 275 on the card from the tees I played.  But is downhill to a very firm landing area past the bunker you see guarding right and short of the green.  I hit a Hybrid 2 iron as the member I was with had played a few weeks back and suggested it'd play about 240ish.  Was pin high right and got up and down for birdie, one of the few putts outside 5 feet that I made.

More photos available on their website
http://www.gamblesands.com/-photo-gallery
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 04:59:03 PM by Ben Baldwin »

William_G

Re: Played Gamble Sands today
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 12:35:59 AM »
thanks Ben! looks fantastic

the course sounds great for an opening  8)

FUN!
It's all about the golf!

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 04:49:19 PM »
Ben - I'd be interesting in hearing about the course, not about your game.

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 04:53:57 PM »

Ouch, welcome to GCA Ben. No one cares bout your game!  ;D

Ted Harris

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 06:54:01 PM »
I would like to hear about the conditions of the course ? Was it firm and fast ?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 07:34:35 PM »
From GOLF DIGEST in 2011:

“The U.S. is quiet,” Kidd says, “but I’ve got a project in central Washington that might be the next Sand Hills.”

Gamble Ranch will be built on 1,000 acres of sand dunes near Brewster, overlooking the Columbia River. Kidd was working on the property a few years ago, marking bunkers and starting to clear land, when the owners, a local farming family, shut the project down because of the collapse in the economy. “They’re hoping to pull the trigger when the snow clears,” Kidd says. “There are ribbons all over that place. I’d  spent a month marking out the course, and then it just stopped. There’s no real estate, no big clubhouse and amazing views. It’s pure golf. And working with sand dunes is butter.”

Kidd, 44, says he has had three perfect sites in his career: Bandon Dunes, Machrihanish and Gamble Ranch. “When I was at the Merchandise Show a few weeks ago, everyone was buzzing about Streamsong,” he says. (Streamsong is going to be 18 holes by Doak and 18 holes by Coore and Ben Crenshaw in central Florida.) “I kept thinking, Wait until they get a load of this site.”

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 09:52:42 PM »
Looks beautiful. Thanks for the pics and info.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Daryl David

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 11:41:17 AM »

“The U.S. is quiet,” Kidd says, “but I’ve got a project in central Washington that might be the next Sand Hills.”

Gamble Ranch will be built on 1,000 acres of sand dunes near Brewster, overlooking the Columbia River. Kidd was working on the property a few years ago, marking bunkers and starting to clear land, when the owners, a local farming family, shut the project down because of the collapse in the economy. “They’re hoping to pull the trigger when the snow clears,” Kidd says. “There are ribbons all over that place. I’d  spent a month marking out the course, and then it just stopped. There’s no real estate, no big clubhouse and amazing views. It’s pure golf. And working with sand dunes is butter.”

Kidd, 44, says he has had three perfect sites in his career: Bandon Dunes, Machrihanish and Gamble Ranch. “When I was at the Merchandise Show a few weeks ago, everyone was buzzing about Streamsong,” he says. (Streamsong is going to be 18 holes by Doak and 18 holes by Coore and Ben Crenshaw in central Florida.) “I kept thinking, Wait until they get a load of this site.”

Wow.  That is some serious marketing.  The next Sand Hills?  Shoot, I am only hoping for something at least as good as Wine Valley.  I will form my own impression this week with a visit. 

Richard Choi

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 11:56:33 AM »
I stayed away from the opening weekend as I was not sure how much the wildfires would wreak havoc with travels. I will try to get out there within next couple of weeks and do a photo tour. Hope it goes better than Salish Cliffs!!!

Ben Baldwin

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 03:01:17 PM »

Sorry Jaeger....didn't mean to bore you with to much info about my game.  Just wanted to add a little about my playing experience.

I really feel the course has the potential to be extraordinary.  It's FIRM!, FAST! and challenging, but not overly penal.  Every hole has great subtle character and is unique.  The views are spectacular and make each hole 10X's what it would be if you dropped the same everything in an area without the vista's.

I've not played at a ton of highly ranked facilities, I've never been to Bandon, Pine Valley, Pinehurst or any of the Nebraska Sandhills region courses.  But I have been on property or played at Streamsong, Pebble, Augusta, National Golf Links, Winged Foot and Shinnecock. 

I enjoyed my experience at Gamble over all of the above places.  The biggest drawback is it's location, it's tough to get to.  Some may find that as an advantage, kind of like with Bandon with the "escape" from reality feel.  Once I was onsite the simplicity and remoteness was awesome.  However the 3+ hour drive from Seattle after a 3 hour flight wasn't ideal.

Take that for what it's worth.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 03:29:47 PM »
How good of a player is DMK? Pretty nice position at the top at least.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 03:35:10 PM »
How good of a player is DMK? Pretty nice position at the top at least.

He claims to not be very good. That's his justification for building Tetherow so wide he wouldn't be losing balls while playing there. That doesn't keep me and my hack friends from loosing ball there though, so he seems to be better than he claims, or he lies about losing balls. Perhaps he has one or two up the pant leg for that purpose. ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jeff_Stettner

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 03:41:08 PM »
You should check out Jaeger's blog for some tips on how to review golf courses. Like this gem on Black Forest:

http://theothersideofgolf.blogspot.com/2014/05/black-forest-tom-doaks-second-golf.html

Lot's of thought provoking observations that will surely inspire thought and dialog from readers.

I've been an infrequent poster on this site since 1999, Ben. Over time, it gets easier to ignore the shoulder-chips.

It's great to hear that we have a new course... And it's always nice to play well.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 03:47:20 PM »

Gamble Ranch will be built on 1,000 acres of sand dunes near Brewster, overlooking the Columbia River. Kidd was working on the property a few years ago, marking bunkers and starting to clear land, when the owners, a local farming family, shut the project down because of the collapse in the economy. “They’re hoping to pull the trigger when the snow clears,” Kidd says. “There are ribbons all over that place. I’d  spent a month marking out the course, and then it just stopped. There’s no real estate, no big clubhouse and amazing views. It’s pure golf. And working with sand dunes is butter.”

Tom,

Have you been on the Gamble Sands site yet? I've not, but I did own a home decades ago, further west down the Columbia River. It's a visually dramatic area in the sandy high-desert. I'd imagine it would offer very wide big-river vistas.

During a match we had at Castle Stuart in 2012, David was very excited about the site. His passion for the property was genuine and not given to unecessary hyperbole.  I'm sure you felt that sort of passion at some point or another early on for one of your projects?

If your reference to the GD 2011 story was intended to highlight his personally effusive marketing, I hardly think it's deserving of any insinuation.  After all, it's remote location and lack of Kaiser or Mosaic sponsorship renders it tough to otherwise draw attention to a appearingly worthy course.

I give David great kudos for willing to challenge his own past and re-create what appears to be a highly playable addition to public golf.

Greg & Garland,

DMK hits it a long way....up & out.....and he took plenty of good-natured ribbing for his higher-than-normal ball flight. Years back, he was playing somewhere btw 6-8.

Cheers!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 05:03:35 PM »
Greg & Garland,

DMK hits it a long way....up & out.....and he took plenty of good-natured ribbing for his higher-than-normal ball flight. Years back, he was playing somewhere btw 6-8.

Cheers!

What's playable for a 6-8 is not necessarily playable for the 18-24, which is what my point was.
I.e., he did not create the playability at Tetherow that I find at Chambers Bay, for example.
However, it may be that the USGA will screw up Chambers Bay beyond what you find at Tetherow.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 05:06:55 PM by GJ Bailey »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ben Baldwin

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 05:28:34 PM »
Greg & Garland,

Cheers!

What's playable for a 6-8 is not necessarily playable for the 18-24, which is what my point was.
I.e., he did not create the playability at Tetherow that I find at Chambers Bay, for example.
However, it may be that the USGA will screw up Chambers Bay beyond what you find at Tetherow.

What he created at Gamble Sands is much different than at Tetherow or the Castle Course or even Huntsman Springs as those courses are much harder.  Golfweek ran a great article about what he tried to do here in making it less difficult for the average to lower than average golfer.  But yet not sacrificing character, and also keeping integrity with the shot values for the good player.  After experiencing it... I would say he succeeded.

http://golfweek.com/news/2014/aug/01/gamble-sands-david-mclay-kidd-playability-washingt/

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 05:48:00 PM »
Ben,

I assume that pot bunker at Chambers Bay that the Golfweek article mentions is "Chambers Basement" an abortion that the USGA created in their effort to degrade Chambers Bay for the US Open.

Mike Davis should try to do good things for golf like controlling the length of the golf ball instead of destroying the enjoyment of golf that can be achieved by the average golfer.

Thanks for the link to the article.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 07:36:22 PM »

Sorry Jaeger....didn't mean to bore you with to much info about my game.  Just wanted to add a little about my playing experience.

I really feel the course has the potential to be extraordinary.  It's FIRM!, FAST! and challenging, but not overly penal.  Every hole has great subtle character and is unique.  The views are spectacular and make each hole 10X's what it would be if you dropped the same everything in an area without the vista's.

I've not played at a ton of highly ranked facilities, I've never been to Bandon, Pine Valley, Pinehurst or any of the Nebraska Sandhills region courses.  But I have been on property or played at Streamsong, Pebble, Augusta, National Golf Links, Winged Foot and Shinnecock. 

I enjoyed my experience at Gamble over all of the above places.  The biggest drawback is it's location, it's tough to get to.  Some may find that as an advantage, kind of like with Bandon with the "escape" from reality feel.  Once I was onsite the simplicity and remoteness was awesome.  However the 3+ hour drive from Seattle after a 3 hour flight wasn't ideal.

Take that for what it's worth.

No worries, I normally make the putt the second time too! ;) I have only heard positive things about the place... In pictures it reminds me of Sutton Bay in South Dakota because of the elevation and horizon lines. I would really like to see the pacific northwest beyond Bandon, but haven't yet. I have had a lot of fun experiences at DMK's courses, they are normally in some very unique locations.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 10:32:11 AM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Ben Baldwin

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2014, 01:47:48 PM »
Found another good review, has some good pics as well

http://digital.golftodaynw.com/i/356222/30

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 10:46:46 AM »
playing here Sunday

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2014, 11:51:06 AM »
Pete,

You lucky dog! let us know how it compares to the likes of Bandon, Sand Hills , Dismal and Ballyneal.

Post some pictures if you can and hit them straight down the middle as always.

Joe Stansell

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2014, 06:17:07 PM »
I played 36 holes at Gamble Sands on Friday and loved everything about it despite not playing all that well. For comparison, I have played Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes, Old MacDonald, Wine Valley, and Chambers Bay (where I belong to the club) many times, as well as Gozzer Ranch, Dismal (Doak), Ballyneal, and other notables.  I can say with confidence that Gamble Sands belongs in the same conversation as these courses.

Points of Interest:

I walked all 36 without any difficulty (and this after walking 18 at Wine Valley the day before). While the club permits carts, the course itself is not marred by cart paths criss-crossing fairways.   

There’s not nearly as much break on the greens as there is at, say, Chambers Bay, but I well suspect that there will be plenty of subtlety when greens mature and speeds increase.

The greens are large, have many different tiers, and provide a host of different pin locations. In other words, the greens will offer a lot of variety for repeat play. Approach shots hit to the wrong part of a green present significant challenges.

The maintenance for such a young course is very impressive. The fairways and greens are already in better shape than those at Chambers Bay.

The maintenance crew mows well beyond the perimeter of the irrigated portion of the fairways, meaning that — quite unlike my experience at Dismal last year — balls that run through the huge fairway won’t be lost in a thicket of deep grass and weeds. (And I say kudos for recognizing that there is a direct correlation between being able to find one’s golf ball and fun.)

The course features three drivable par 4 holes — #2, #8, and #12.  Hole #2 is the easiest of the set, and is just as easily the most photogenic hole on the course.

Holes #7 and #18 are both reachable par 5’s.  A poor drive on #7 can lead to a big number (because the waste area running the length of the hole is deep) but it is otherwise relatively short with a slope behind the hole that will help an overly aggressive approach shot. A drive on #18 can easily run out 300 or more yards, possibly leaving a mid-iron into the green to set up a finishing eagle putt.

The tee ball on the third hole is reminiscent of the tee shot at Dismal (Doak) #17, in that it features a carry over a ridge to a blind (but huge) fairway.

Hole #5 is a classic cape hole where a par or better can be extremely difficult. An aggressive line off the tee might lead to a blind approach shot over a huge wall of sand. A less aggressive line, if hit too short, leaves a long approach to a narrow green.

Hole #6 is an interesting take on the Redan. From the “back tee” where I played (which is shorter than the “medal tee”), the yardage on the card is 231 but a tee shot that carries around 190 yards or so (downhill) will likely reach the green.The slope right of the green is so steep that a ball hit with a fade has an excellent chance of trickling down to the hole. Indeed, a nice draw will likely run out past a pin on the right half of the green (where it played Friday) and toward the deepest part of the green. 

Hole #16 is a similarly interesting par 3. The green has an upper tier on its right side and a much lower tier on its left. A pin on the right (where it was located when we played) is best reached by taking the tee shot over the “brow” well to the right of the green and using the right to left slope to run the ball on to the green.

I haven't seen the routing posted anywhere on the web so I took a screenshot of a satellite image that was taken, obviously, before the grow in was completed:

John Cowden

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 12:15:53 AM »
Terrific post, Joe.  Thank you.  You've answered my first question---should I make a trip soon to GS?---in a perfect manner.  Damn!   There are too many other courses in play until the colder weather!  First chance...

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 02:07:23 AM »
There is a Callaway golf ball, hit by me, somewhere in the eastern Washington scrub. Doubt that it will ever be found. To tired to post more after 7+ hrs on the road. I tried to lower my expectations because of all the positive comments, but I was wrong.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back