News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Richards

The competitive course record at Beverly fell today after 47 years when Doug Ghim fired a bogey-free 63.  The previous record of 64 was set by Tom Weiskopf at the 1967 Western Open Pro-Am.

Here is an article about Doug's amazing round:  http://www.thewesternamateur.com/site/apps/nlnet/content2.aspx?c=lnKNKOOsHqE&b=6132939&ct=14137881&notoc=1

Here is The Beverly Country Club competitive course record through the years:

63 Doug Ghim, 2014 Western Amateur

64 Tom Weiskopf, 1967 Western Open Pro-Am
64 Rick Ten Broeck, 1979
64 Brian Cunningham, 1989 US Amateur qualifying

65 Tommy Armour, 1928

67 Chick Evans, 1924 (remodeled course)

65 Eddie Loos, 1919 (twice in same day!)

71 Harry Turpie, 1910

73 Chick Evans, 1910
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Ronald Montesano

cool kid...runner-up in final publinks this year...played at Porter Cup and chilled his way around. nice attitude...deserving.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

John McCarthy

Are you telling me I only missed the course record by 37? 

so close, so close..
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Paul Richards

Doug's 30 on the back nine tied the competitive back nine record as well, held by a handful of folks, most recently by Beau Hossler yesterday.   

Doug had no bogeys on his card, as he fired 5 birdies on the nine, but Beau's was even more interesting as he bogeyed #10, and then went on a tear and played the last 8 holes with two pars and six birdies!

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Jud_T

Impressive stuff for anyone who's played the Bev when the rough is up and the greens are running. These guys are good.  "Keep it in the fairways and below the hole".  Easy game!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Andrew Buck

cool kid...runner-up in final publinks this year...played at Porter Cup and chilled his way around. nice attitude...deserving.

He won the pub links qualifier at my "2nd" course.   They will be tickled he was only -4 on his 36 hole qualifier there.  This is the course that provides very good conditions and reasonable challenge for $750/year membership.

Ronald Montesano

Almost as impressive is the WGA's refusal to enter the 2000s and employ live scoring.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Russ Arbuthnot

Paul Richards

Live scoring: http://ajga.org/wga/m/

Russ, "live scoring" is a bit of a misnomer, as it only updates after every 3 holes, and then, sometimes, not so often....

Paul Richards

Doug's 30 on the back nine tied the competitive back nine record as well, held by a handful of folks, most recently by Beau Hossler yesterday.   

Doug had no bogeys on his card, as he fired 5 birdies on the nine, but Beau's was even more interesting as he bogeyed #10, and then went on a tear and played the last 8 holes with two pars and six birdies!

I looked it up and here are the competitive records for each nine, in case someone decides to go really low today....

Front Nine
   30   Steve Reid, 1970
   31   Charley Penna, Dick Bronson

Back Nine
   30   Toney Penna, Tony Holguin
                 Hugh Royer and Jim Jamieson, 1970
                 Beau Hossel and Doug Ghim, 2014

Mark Smolens

Re: Western Amateur at Beverly - competitive course record falls today
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 08:48:00 AM »
63 with no birdies until the sixth hole?

I guess that means I had as many birdies as he did on first five holes  ;D

Russ Arbuthnot

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 09:44:59 AM »
Live scoring: http://ajga.org/wga/m/

Russ, "live scoring" is a bit of a misnomer, as it only updates after every 3 holes, and then, sometimes, not so often....

That is pretty much how all the junior and even PGA events that I've seen update their scores online. It's not the PGA Tour. And it's definitely good enough to be considered in the 2000's.

Paul Richards

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 02:19:30 PM »
Dave, there have been a pair of 62s shot here, neither of which were in competition.

Paul Richards

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 02:21:11 PM »
Third round update - Bryson DeChambeau has a one stroke lead over Josh Munn at -11.  Best score of the day is a 65 by Taylor Macdonald.  To see a picture of Bryson making a 25-foot birdie at his 17th hole, please see my Facebook page.  https://www.facebook.com/paul.richards.3979

Paul Richards

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 09:13:07 PM »
Doug Ghim earns the medal with a total of 14-under-par 270: http://www.illinoisgolfer.net/
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 09:59:55 PM »
Paul,

63 is a spectacular score, a 63 in competition is an incredible score.

As Bobby Jones stated, "there's golf and there's tournament golf".

Great going

Lou_Duran

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 05:03:53 PM »
It has been nearly 10 years ago when we played Beverly.  Shot 92 off 3 or 4 (didn't do much better at Skokie the next day- 85).  I thought that the greens were ridiculously difficult- way too fast for the amount of contour.  Can't fathom a 63, which goes to show the huge separation between national tournament amateurs and club golfers.  Then there is the giant leap to pro tour golf. 

Paul Richards

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 10:19:59 PM »
We witnessed one of the most amazing matches in probably Western Am history - Dough Ghim vs Beau Hossel - great summary of today's events - they each tied the back-nine record with 30s!! 

http://www.thewesternamateur.com/site/apps/nlnet/content2.aspx?c=lnKNKOOsHqE&b=6132939&ct=14142073&notoc=1

Go ILLINI in the finals!  Failing that, go Longhorn!!!

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 10:25:02 PM »
The Doug Ghim-Beau Hossler match reminded me of the Garcia-Kuchar match in the quarters of the 1998 U.S. Amateur at Oak Hill. Birdies back and forth (both Ghim and Hossler shot 5-under 30 on the back nine) and swings in momentum, though the lead was never more than 1 up.

My coverage at Illinois Golfer: http://www.illinoisgolfer.net/blog/

Brian Colbert

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2014, 09:40:08 AM »

I looked it up and here are the competitive records for each nine, in case someone decides to go really low today....

Front Nine
   30   Steve Reid, 1970

Back Nine

I watched a kid named Brandon Matthews from Dupont, PA fire a 30 on the back 9 in the second round on Thursday. It was a shame because he missed a fairly simple up and down for birdie and 29 on 18. He went on to drive it over the green on #1 and used a mid iron to hit the ball on the back edge of the green on #2 in 2 shots. He struggled with the putter a bit on the way in for a 68, but the way he hit the ball it could have easily been a 60 or 61.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2014, 10:13:40 AM »
He struggled with the putter a bit on the way in for a 68, but the way he hit the ball it could have easily been a 60 or 61.

If this is true, he must be a REALLY BAD putter.

It reminded me that when Johnny Miller shot one of his 62's or even the 61 at the Tucson Open back in the 1970's, he was playing with a young Tom Watson, and went they went in to sign their cards Watson told him, "If I'd been putting for you today you would have had 57."  :)

Terry Lavin

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2014, 06:17:49 PM »
Beau Hossler wins 2 up over Xander Schauffele in an exciting final match in the 114th Western Amateur. What a fun and humbling week it was!  These kids can really play.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2014, 09:11:06 PM »
Kudos to the Beverly membership for setting the stage and making all feel welcome. Great to see some old pals. And once again, the golf course produces a fine champion. Hossler didn't set the course record, but he was the best player this week, the most grueling week of golf's year.

Paul Richards

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2014, 12:10:16 AM »

Front Nine
   30   Steve Reid, 1970

Back Nine

I watched a kid named Brandon Matthews from Dupont, PA fire a 30 on the back 9 in the second round on Thursday. It was a shame because he missed a fairly simple up and down for birdie and 29 on 18. He went on to drive it over the green on #1 and used a mid iron to hit the ball on the back edge of the green on #2 in 2 shots. He struggled with the putter a bit on the way in for a 68, but the way he hit the ball it could have easily been a 60 or 61.

Brian, thanks for the heads-up.  I was trying to look for anyone who might approach either sides' record, but only came up with the ones that I referred to.  If Brandon shot those numbers in stroke play, I will be happy to add his name to the list.  Cheers!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back