News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Hillenbrand

Spyglass length
« on: July 30, 2014, 03:57:14 PM »
Had a friend get back from his first visit to Pebble Beach and had the same experience I did -at Spyglass -  the starter convinced him the course plays 400 yards longer than the yardage. And like me found this to be BS. He's a 2 and it played way too short for him.

Any validity to this, or this just a veiled attempt to Play It Forward?

John Kavanaugh

Re: Spyglass length
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 03:59:50 PM »
The quality of a golf experience is best measured by how quickly you got it over with.

Gary Sato

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 06:04:10 PM »
And like me found this to be BS. He's a 2 and it played way too short for him.

What did he shoot, 66 or 67?

Spyglass can be foggy, wet and windy at times.  Its also very crowded and they want to keep the crowds moving. 

For 98% of the play I suspect that playing it forward is the best option.  Guys like your buddy have an ego and are grinding to shoot a score.  If they just relaxed and enjoyed the scenery and ambiance they would be miles ahead.  Besides, who is going to stop them from realizing this after a few holes and asking their playing partners if they can move back on certain tees.

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 07:46:21 PM »
Had a friend get back from his first visit to Pebble Beach and had the same experience I did -at Spyglass -  the starter convinced him the course plays 400 yards longer than the yardage. And like me found this to be BS. He's a 2 and it played way too short for him.

I'm not sure I understand.
The starter "convinced" him the course played 400 yards longer the yardage?
Did he play the back tees?
If so, what does that have to do with the starter?
and if he played a more forward set because the starter was so convincing, why didn't he just move back once he was "unconvinced"?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ryan Bass

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 07:50:49 PM »
Ryan, I can't provide objective evidence that Spyglass "plays longer than its yardage." However, I recall that that was exactly my experience.  Probably a combination of cool air, sea level, short par 4's on paper that seem to play longer when played conservatively and one par 4 measuring 400 yards that played like 430.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 10:00:09 PM »

I'm not sure I understand.
The starter "convinced" him the course played 400 yards longer the yardage?
Did he play the back tees?
If so, what does that have to do with the starter?
and if he played a more forward set because the starter was so convincing, why didn't he just move back once he was "unconvinced"?

He played the golds based on the starters recommendation that at 6600 yards it'd play like it was 7000. As a mild mannered midwesterner in awe of his good fortune to play such a course he wasnt going to dispute it. After the round he, like I, found it played pretty much like  the distance of every course in the midwest. Maybe due to the hills and humidity we're used it.

Maybe the correct question is "what is your handicap" and not assume everyone stepping to the tee is some hack there on a convention.

David Ober

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 01:42:10 AM »
My experience is that Spyglass plays significantly longer than its yardage. The pros play it from the back tees at 6900ish, and it is routinely the toughest course at the AT&T.

FWIW, I'm a competitive mid-am in the 0 to +2 range. I'm 46 and of modest length off the tee (260 - 270)

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 07:30:04 AM »
As someone who caddied at Spy full-time, for almost 12 years, I can say that many of the holes that are uphill can play significantly longer, depending on the conditions.
 First, I 'm curious, what did he shoot and did he putt everything out? The reason I ask is that is one tough track and many a 3 footer, or less, can be missed if you are in the wrong spot. Interesting to note that Mr. Woods failed to break par in any of the first 6 tournament rounds he played there. Several of those were even played under " lift, clean and cheat " conditions.
Spy plays much differently  since they re-did the drainage in the late 90's. Built originally on a very modest budget, 600K or so in 1966 comes to mind, it was often VERY soft during the rainy season and played super long under that scenario. Today, the course drains quite well, the rough is shorter in general and the watering is better-managed than In the past. All of the factors, coupled with bomb and gouge technology, have led to a blunting of what formerly was one tough hombre of a golfing test.
The firmness the course now often presents has increased the run-out of drives, which when pounded by better players now leaves  8 irons in or less. NO WAY that was the case in the past. I mremember being in Norman's group when he was in his prime. Probably as go a driver of the ball in the game at the time...he got his ass kicked by Spy, shot like 76 and was stewing all the way around.
Spy's not what she was. Sadly, the Pebble Beach Company multilated her with some  poorly executed changes  in the 90's, but is still a super track and a stiff test when presented properly.
Hope this helps  clarify what has transpired there.

Cheers,
Kris
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:22:48 AM by Kris Shreiner »
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Adam Clayman

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 08:51:13 AM »
It just so happens theres a deep drop off in the ocean just off the shore near The Hill. This does create some spots where extra gravity is in play.  :P
Throw in the wind, and one could probably get close to 400 yards in effective added length.

I've never met a 2 that would listen to a starter.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Greg Tallman

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 02:02:29 PM »
It just so happens theres a deep drop off in the ocean just off the shore near The Hill. This does create some spots where extra gravity is in play.  :P
Throw in the wind, and one could probably get close to 400 yards in effective added length.

I've never met a 2 that would listen to a starter.

Never met a 2 that played in Scotland? Do they not, for the most part, dictate from where you will play the course?

Rob Marshall

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 08:23:48 PM »

I had no problem playing Spyglass from the back tees when I played there.  The starter never said a word to me. I thought it played longer than the yardage. I had the arranged for the same caddie that I had at Pebble the day before. I'm standing on the back tee on #5 and a caddie walking in the other direction asks me where I stand for the day? I thought that was kind of strange. As we walk from the 5th green to the 6th tee my caddie Gene says "now the course gets hard." I'm thinking great... Anyways I hit my second shot in to the 18th green and he says "looks like I won that bet." He proceeds to tell me he has a bet with the starter on what I would shoot. Maybe that's why they didn't try to get me to play it up a set of tees.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 08:32:40 PM »
Rob...frankly, who cares how you played?

Rob Marshall

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 09:14:33 PM »
Rob...frankly, who cares how you played?

When I said I had no problem playing from the back tees I was referring to the starter not giving me a problem. Not that my game didn't have a problem.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Brian Finn

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 09:33:55 PM »
Rob,

I appreciate your post. I had a very similar experience there the one time I played Spyglass. Caddie in my group won a bet based on my play.  Apparently he got very good odds when I chose to play back. 

I did find it played longer than the yardage, but not +400yds.  That suggests more than 20 additional yards per hole, or roughly 2 clubs, all else equal.  Having only played it once, I can't really judge, but that day it was no more than half a club for me. 
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 10:06:59 PM »

I played it recently with my son, a friend of his and his dad.

My friend's son's dad played forward tees, we played the tees next from the back.
No one attempted to instruct us where to play from.

But, it is a long hard golf course when it's damp.
And, that air is heavier.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 11:04:15 PM »
Too short compared to what? There are supposed to be a lot of short approaches at Spyglass – 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 10, 11, 14, 15, 17, and 18 are all intended to be medium or short approach shots. Length might've been a major factor at spyglass when it opened, but it's really not about that now. It's about demanding approach shots how difficult it is to save shots on and around the greens if you get yourself out of position.

In NCGA events, where most of the field is at 2 or better, the scoring average is around 78 to 79 depending on the conditions and setup.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 11:11:49 PM »

Too short compared to what? There are supposed to be a lot of short approaches at Spyglass – 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 10, 11, 14, 15, 17, and 18 are all intended to be medium or short approach shots.

Matt,

But, 5, 6, 8, 9, 12, 13 and 16 are long holes and depending upon the conditions of the day, the others may play alot longer as well.

SH is not a pitch and putt course.

Length might've been a major factor at spyglass when it opened, but it's really not about that now.

It's about demanding approach shots how difficult it is to save shots on and around the greens if you get yourself out of position.

Isn't that a factor of length off the tee ?

In NCGA events, where most of the field is at 2 or better, the scoring average is around 78 to 79 depending on the conditions and setup.
The average golfer who plays SH isn't a 2 or better, that's one of the reasons rounds are played in excess of 4:30.

You have to consider the abilities of those who play the course, day in and day out.

For them, it's a long golf coures.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 11:47:58 PM »
I found it played longer than the yardage, but certainly not +400 yards. I played the 6600 tees, because I was there to enjoy the day and not beat myself up on a track that I'm sure can be plenty tough.

I found many of my approaches early on in the round coming up maybe a half a club or a full club short. Watching my playing companions, I quickly realize this was actually ideal, because my god if that isn't a course where you never want to be above the hole. But being below it, if you're having a decent day chipping, was not so bad at all.

Also, I fully expected all the courses in Monterey to play longer for me, since I was coming from Phoenix, where the air is dry and hot and we're at some (minor) elevation.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 05:23:02 AM »
Ryan, do you and your friend hit the ball real far? 

Does time of year affect how long Spyglass plays? 

Terry Lavin

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 08:29:25 AM »
The simple answer is that the starter was doing his job by trying to influence pace of play with the ploy of claiming the extra 400 yards. Probably half of people on the back tees of resort courses like Spy belong on the middle tees.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 11:44:08 AM »

It's about demanding approach shots how difficult it is to save shots on and around the greens if you get yourself out of position.

Isn't that a factor of length off the tee ?

At the risk of getting into minutiae, I don't think so. Most of the short approach shots I mentioned come after layups. For close-to-scratch players, there are only four holes (discounting the par-5's) where driving distance would make a difference between having a long approach shot and a not-so-long one: 6, 9, 13, and 16. The shots on 10 and 18 are affected by driving distance, but aren't that long anyway. The rest are layups except for 8, which is a driver for short hitters and a layup for long hitters. Even if you include those par-5's, you're talking about maybe 6 holes where driving distance really changes things, and I think that's a pretty small number compared to most courses.

I'm not saying it doesn't help! But I'd much rather play a long hitter at Spyglass than at most other courses.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 12:53:12 PM »

The only time I ever played Spyglass - wasn't keen to return - it was pretty typical April weather.  Tee shots rolled maybe five yards if at all.  It was the longest 6600 yards I've ever played.  After 5 I really got worn out!   Loved those first five though. 

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2014, 05:53:30 PM »

He hits it about 280-290, which is long in my book. He said he hit nothing but short irons into every par 4.. He shot 79, which obviously isn't super low and still provided a challenge. But I don' think there is anything wrong with wanting to play every club in your bag, especially if its the first time getting to play a course on the peninsula.

I on the other hand am just of average length and the Gold tees were plenty for me. But I found the 400 yard thing was a stretch. So it gets to Terry's point - which was the reason for my question.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2014, 07:09:55 PM »
Ryan,

I think a systemic problem, at Spyglass and elsewhere, is the pattern where inferior golfers want to play from tees intended for superior golfers.

I understand the desire.

The problem is that when golfers get in over their heads, they take extra time.

Ergo, 6 hour rounds by mid to late day aren't unusual.

We tend to tee off early and play at a very fast pace.

I no longer have any interest in playing U.S. Open or PGA Tour back tees.
The tees have gotten longer as I've gotten older and that's not a favorable trend.

Depending upon par and conditions, 6,400 to 7,000 is plenty for me.

Jon McSweeny

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2014, 02:13:44 PM »
I had a similar experience last December. My group and I were waiting to tee off and I asked the Starter for some last-minute advice. He said to play the whites because the golds play more like 7,000 yards.

Like any reasonable group of golfers we ignored him and played from the golds.

As has been said, I thought the course played a bit longer than the card, but not nearly as long as the Starter's estimate.

Beautiful spot though. Can't wait to get back.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back