News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Connolly

Nigel Doak: Look... still hasn't any divots. It's never even been played.

Marty Morrissette: You've never played it...?

Nigel Doak: Don't play it!

Marty Morrissette: We'll I wasn't going to play it, I was just pointing at it.

Nigel Doak: Well... don't point! It can't be played.

Marty Morrissette: Don't point, okay. Can I look at it?

Nigel Doak: No. no. That's it, you've seen enough of that course.
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Steve Lang

8)   I guess this means i should probably read the first confidential guide..  nahh.  will just pop over and play The Black Forest again, the home of unfinished business..  
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Peter Pallotta

I'm not worried about this.  From what I've read on the other thread, the price of the book will prevent most of the meta-critics on GCA from ever buying a copy.

I suppose they could still disagree with the book here, without actually having read it.

Ha ha - that last line was really funny. The "I suppose..." is what makes it work -- as in fact you could've written "I'm certain..." and  still be proven 100% correct.

Heck, I probably won't be able to stop myself from throwing out opinions -- on courses I've neither read about nor even played! (I may have to coin a term for that - maybe something like "sub-meta")

Peter

John C - very funny stuff, thanks.

Steve Lang

I'm not worried about this.  From what I've read on the other thread, the price of the book will prevent most of the meta-critics on GCA from ever buying a copy.

I suppose they could still disagree with the book here, without actually having read it.

Ha ha - that last line was really funny. The "I suppose..." is what makes it work -- as in fact you could've written "I'm certain..." and  still be proven 100% correct.

Heck, I probably won't be able to stop myself from throwing out opinions -- on courses I've neither read about nor even played! (I may have to coin a term for that - maybe something like "sub-meta")

Peter

John C - very funny stuff, thanks.

pseudo-meta works
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Jason Thurman

I've always just called it Cowaning.

What will we call it if I have issues right now with how Tom has rated a course in the NCG, even though he has not seen it and will not be rating it and the book isn't published yet? Because I'm seriously pissed about his rating of Idle Hour.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Mark Bourgeois

So a thread disparaging a tidal wave of topics anticipated to focus myopically on numbers while ignoring the commentary...launches the prophesy it sought to guillotine...with a big assist to the very author of the numbers! The head spins the mind boggles.  :o

So if we are safe to ignore the words then all we need is the scale and the numbers, of which there will be relentless threads with numbers numbers numbers...then why bother with the book? ???  (Well, excluding we golf tragics who buy...everything. ;D  )
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Sean_A

Re: My meta thread: how to wreck GCA.com using the new Confidential Guide
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2014, 02:57:09 AM »
Meta creta, crudda.  Tom D, I had a brief look at the draft, but failed to note the title of the book, what is it?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2014, 07:44:51 AM »
Meta creta, crudda.  Tom D, I had a brief look at the draft, but failed to note the title of the book, what is it?

Ciao

The official title is "Arrivederci: The Arbledential Guide To Golf Courses."
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Michael George

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2014, 09:08:22 AM »
Mark:

I am just praying that Tom Doak does not rate Dismal River Nicklaus.  I am not sure the site can survive that......or that I can survive being on the site with that discussion.

Looking forward to purchasing the book. 

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2014, 09:23:19 AM »
Hi Michael, hope you're well. I've actually seen Doak's Dismal number discussed on another site: http://tinyurl.com/krfogx4
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Eric Smith

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2014, 10:19:42 AM »
Mark Boones-Farm - Truly a laugh out loud moment viewing that in line at the drive-thru. #TGIF

Mike - Surely you know how that one plays out as we've seen it a number of times and frankly it just doesn't matter. Be plenty of lines in the water though I imagine.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2014, 10:31:32 AM »
Mark:

I am just praying that Tom Doak does not rate Dismal River Nicklaus.  I am not sure the site can survive that......or that I can survive being on the site with that discussion.

Looking forward to purchasing the book. 

Billy Bob already rated it.  ;D
(If you are at work, turn the volume down a little)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fipQisc68dQ

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2014, 10:44:48 AM »
I know now for certain that Mark B is the trusted and very able minion of some deep dark power that roams the blogosphere seeking to subvert and devour any semblance of reasonable discussion. As with the omnipresent voice of confusion in "1984", this ever-lurking lieutenant of evil twists around perfectly clear words like "meta" into dangerous and unrecognizable nonsense. Much like those who predict a coming apocalypse and then do everything in their power to bring it about, this proud minion of darkness who -- in this incarnation -- goes by the name Mark B can be an utterly charming fellow, and the seeming bringer of light. Be warned: he is in fact full of ruthless guile and shameless deceit! Stay away from him - stay far away. He has tricked me and emeshed me in his ugly nest of troubles; be on guard lest you too be ensnared!!

Peter
(writing to you from the Pits of Despair, just next to the Out of Bounds stake)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back