News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

AKikuchi

Evangelist of Golf- Gibson Island bunkering
« on: July 30, 2014, 01:37:14 PM »
I recently finished the Evangelist of Golf, and wanted to add to the many praises it has received on this site. I particularly enjoyed reading the individual course sections in conjunction with the current aerial perspective of google maps, as well as Ran’s course profiles (where available). These are a powerful combination of tools for someone who is interested in advancing their understanding of golf course architecture. I regret never having had the pleasure of meeting George Bahto, but I’m proud to add my name to the list of those whose appreciation for gca he has influenced greatly.

I came away with a number of questions which I may post here over time. Thanks in advance for humoring me if any of the points have been covered in some way before.

I was struck by a particular feature in the aerial photo of the Gibson Island Club. The majority (12-14, it's hard to say for sure) of the greens are guarded by horseshoe-shaped bunkering surrounding the back and sides of the green, with the approach from the front seemingly open to the fairway. Google maps shows that this remains true on 6 of the 9 still-existing holes. Although I’m far less well-versed than most of you, I’m not familiar with any course with such extensive, consistent use of this feature. Does anyone have any insight into how this came to be? Was it due to some particular constraints on the site?

Current aerial view:

The closest comparison I could find was Shoreacres, which seems to use this three-sided bunkering on a good number of holes despite having more general variety in the bunkering. I'd be curious to hear peoples thoughts, or examples of other courses with similar features.

-Alan

JC Urbina

Re: Evangelist of Golf- Gibson Island bunkering
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 02:08:05 PM »
Alan,

The bunkers you see in the aerial are not exactly what was depicted in the original plan.

They have been modified since the course was shortened to 9 holes.
The par 3 third, the tee on 4 and the 7th hole have been altered to accept the new routing.

The original old photos show a little more movement then your photo color aerial  shows.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 04:20:45 PM »
I enjoy a round on this little track every so often, and I think it has (or, perhaps sadly had) off the charts potential given its location. But is is a blast to play, and the two/four sets of tees provide a very reasonable approximation of an 18 hole round.

I believe that the bunkering is intended, at least in part, to provide retention. The course is rather severe in spots, and it's tight. The backs of the greens are often pretty close to the property line and often have huge drops or run offs that would carry a long shot to its doom, especially if the course is playing firm. The bunkers keep that from happening.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 05:01:36 PM »
Alan,

The bunkers you see in the aerial are not exactly what was depicted in the original plan.

They have been modified since the course was shortened to 9 holes.
The par 3 third, the tee on 4 and the 7th hole have been altered to accept the new routing.

The original old photos show a little more movement then your photo color aerial  shows.

I'm not entirely sure on this. While the bunkers may have been modified a little, what I've seen of the original course would confirm the large number of horseshoe bunkers currently protecting the back of the greens .

You can see horseshoe bunkers on the original 4th, 7th, 9th, 10th,  and 17th greens. As well as the 3 sided bunkering on the 3rd.

While this routing is not original, it does match the aerial photograph and Daniel Wexler's drawing from "Missing Links".

Josh Tarble

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 05:42:01 PM »
wow, it's a shame this course had to lose the other 9 holes. 6 through 12 look like they could have been pretty cool.  It doesn't appear any housing or anything substantial was put in place of the holes.  Any reasoning behind losing half the course?

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 05:55:22 PM »
Gibson Island was originally intended to be an Olmsted designed master community with 2 Macdonald / Raynor courses. The depression put an end to much of the original plan, but I believe the original course was reduced to 9 prior to the depression. Apparently they had an issue with the wind blowing around sand on the exposed peninsula holes.

AKikuchi

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 11:05:06 PM »
Ben,

Thanks for those additions. While Jim seems correct about the routing changes, the former 3rd hole was actually another example of the 3-sided bunkering. In the drawing you posted (which seems to match the aerial in Evangelist, as well as the aerial you posted), 14 greens have continuous or nearly-continuous 3-sided bunkering. I find that interesting, and would love to hear more thoughts on why that should or shouldn’t be surprising.

Jon’s comment about the bunkers providing important retention fits with my first thought (having not seen the course in person), as the routing seems pretty tightly packed into the space. This is especially true for the NLE half of the course on that very cool-looking peninsula. The dark outlines between the bunkers and the greens seem to suggest significant drops around elevated greens as well.

It does seem like many of the horseshoes are set at an angle to favor a certain line of approach, but I still wonder whether the feature would have been noticeably repetitive on a full 14 out of 18 holes. I also wonder how the bunkering would have played into the thought process in laying out the course, and whether the extensive use of the 3-sided bunkering would have been at all a concern to the architect.

-Alan
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 11:12:28 PM by AKikuchi »

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 06:10:53 AM »
If anyone has any local contacts on Gibson Island, please send me an IM. I am interested to rent a house there next late June for a week. Thanks

Mark McKeever

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 09:07:28 AM »
Wow!  The old photo's almost look Fisher's Island'ish!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 12:15:58 PM »
Mark:

I don't know if you've ever seen Gibson Island in person, but your comment is entirely accurate.  The place had unliminted potential, and must have been just incredible around the time it opened.

Jon
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Rees Milikin

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 12:43:22 PM »
Is the current 6th hole using the original 15th green, or did they create an entirely new par 3?

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 03:04:57 PM »
The preliminary plan I've seen from 1921 would place the original 15th green a little farther south of the current 6th and would have been a par 4 approached from the West.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 03:28:58 PM »
Jon, I have not been, but now I definitely need to get down there and see the 9 holes that are left, regarless.

The course must have been one of the best in the country when it opened.  It looks phenomenal!! 

Are there any other old aerials or pictures in existence??

Mark
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 03:53:18 PM by Mark McKeever »

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 04:15:13 PM »
Mark:

I don't know if you've ever seen Gibson Island in person, but your comment is entirely accurate.  The place had unliminted potential, and must have been just incredible around the time it opened.

Jon

Jon,

My brother lives within sight of Gibson Island and I have seen it from both land and the water.

Quite the lost treasure. Has to rank among the greatest losses.
Tim Weiman

Mark McKeever

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 04:30:39 PM »
Looking at Bing maps, you can still see the structures put up to hold the 8th green and 9 tee from falling into the water.  

Mark
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 04:32:57 PM by Mark McKeever »

Kevin Mendik

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 01:36:32 PM »
I visited Gibson Island last fall and it was a treat. There is still enough undeveloped land on the island to build the entire 36 holes, however, most of the land associated with the lost 9 has homes on it. One can stand on the original Redan tee (a reverse over a small bay) which is on a member's side yard and imagine the shot required. Other greens such as ten sit on a member's front yard by the water and is still visible.
The current 6th green was the previous 15th green and used to be approached from 3 o'clock as you approach the green today. It is all wooded in that area.
Bunkering was redone/restored a few years back I believe by Silva (Jim U also visited, correct Jim?), and it certainly has that CBM SR CB look and feel.
Given the members inclination towards sailing and other non-golf pursuits, it is highly unlikely the golf will ever go back beyond nine holes.  The club has a well laid out and comprehensive museum which catalogues the history of the island, not only geologically, but historically. It contains numerous photos, plans and articles about the golf course, including a photo of the Redan taken from the tee. The island is gated and private, but well worth a long drive and whatever else is needed to play there. Don't miss the opportunity to visit the museum! I have photos inside and of the golf course if anyone is interested.
Regards,

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 01:39:25 PM »
" I have photos inside and of the golf course if anyone is interested."

Yes, I am interested.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 02:22:14 PM »
Agreed, would love to see the pictures!

Rees Milikin

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 03:44:26 PM »
Please share the pictures

Mark McKeever

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2014, 10:53:04 AM »
Bump

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2014, 02:42:27 PM »
1921 Olmsted Brothers proposed map, including the 36 hole routing

Satellite overlay

Colin Sheehan

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2021, 10:32:06 AM »
As a follow up to the request for original hole names at the Greenbrier Old White, does anyone know if there were any original hole names for the 18 hole course?

Interesting that the original layout was par-69 with just one par-five. Same as the original draft of Yale before 16 was lengthened from a 4 to a 5 during construction.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 10:36:11 AM by Colin Sheehan »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2021, 11:28:47 AM »
Colin:

Here's a May 11, 1924 Baltimore Sun article on the course that includes yardages.

Adding in a couple very cool early Olmsted maps of the course.

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Colin Sheehan

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2021, 11:44:23 AM »
Brett,
Thank you for that. I appreciate it.

It's interesting the writer describes that third hole, the par-3, which really does look like a reverse Redan. (The other three one-shotters are the remaining usual templates.) But he describes it like a one-shot Cape Hole like 14 at National. Perhaps because of the tidal water coming near the hole. Any reason to believe it actually is was a "Cape" hole?

I do agree with the black and white aerial I have that the repeated use of the single, wrap-around back bunkers, albeit with some variation, does appear to have been overused.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP-pDy8zi5I_CqG4mNAWSMJ5Kw0-_C3RN8bdugZlG6A8eY1mF5UVcJn-5Y9zL60OQ/photo/AF1QipP2TM501fWf6r2nEpwQ5lB7GTX_uGadvYgkf6dq?key=WVhlaXhLdnlKRlNCTjNPQl9lbENBNzlEY04tZ3FR

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2021, 11:45:35 AM »

Here's a better copy of the article above.  You might be able to decipher what a few of the holes were supposed to be from the descriptions and yardages given.

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back