News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ville Nurmi

Scotland advice, based on architecture, of course
« on: July 29, 2014, 04:08:22 PM »
Valued members of the discussion group,
which course would you play:
Fort Augustus Or Isle of Skye Golf Club?

Yours,
Frank Pont

Re: Scotland advice, based on architecture, of course
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 05:29:22 PM »
Fort Augustus is a nice and simple Colt design which I enjoyed. Its also very affordable....

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 05:32:56 PM »
Ville N. -

I would be surprised if even 1% of the participants on this board have played either or both of those courses. As Frank P. has said, Ft. Augustus is considered a HS Colt design, which is a large check mark in its favor.

DT 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 05:38:48 PM by David_Tepper »

Ville Nurmi

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 05:27:09 AM »
Hello David,
I'm absolutely certain that you are right, but the amount of knowledge is phenomenal around here as Frank's answer points out.
Didn't know about Colt connection and I am tempted tonplay there. We are en-route to Askernish and the Isle of Skye club looks also quite good from car windows. Has anyone played it?

Yours,
Adam Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 05:43:46 AM »
Ville - I haven't played it, only seen it from the train/road, but the place I really want to play in that vicinity is Traigh. Been there?

Adam
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ville Nurmi

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 05:45:44 AM »
Not been there Adam,
I'll look it up. We arrive midday and booked a room in Uig, so not that much time for a detour.
Are you coming this year?
James Boon

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 08:41:14 AM »
Ville,

I spent a week on Skye last year and drove past the Isle of Skye Golf Club on numerous occasions. I had a holiday half set in the car but my wife and I were enjoying Skye so much, I never got around to playing it. A first for me while in Scotland and something I regret. Luckily we plan on returning next year, so I certainly will then. The course itself, from a quick look, appeared to be a fun and beautiful place to play, but I can't comment on the architecture in all honesty...
http://www.isleofskyegolfclub.co.uk/index.html

Fort Augustus is also on my radar for upcoming trips, so interesting the hear from others of its fine heritage.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 08:46:54 AM »
Ville - Not going to Askernish for the Open unfortunately.

What's your schedule to get to Uig for the boat? If you want a posh dinner in Skye I can _strongly_ recommend the Three Chimneys.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Steve Salmen

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 10:18:51 AM »
I have played the Isle of Skye Golf Club.  I think I was the only person of the course because it was raining.  I remember having fun but not being overwhelmed by the course.  Worth an hour's walk.

James Boon

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 04:30:32 PM »
Ville - Not going to Askernish for the Open unfortunately.

What's your schedule to get to Uig for the boat? If you want a posh dinner in Skye I can _strongly_ recommend the Three Chimneys.

I can second Adam's recommendation of The Three Chimneys, but if you are staying in Uig its about an hours drive away. But certainly worth it!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 07:25:00 AM »
Hi Ville,

I have played both this year and they are very different in style. Fort A. is a typical moorland style with plenty of heather, sheep and challenging shots. It has an interesting route and some good holes. Well worth playing especially now when the heather is coming into flower. IofS is on the Sea front and is also not bad. Spectacular views and some good holes with interesting GCA in parts.

They are both good but if I had to choose I would plum for Fort A. Much better routing and less weather effected. Having said that as it takes little more than an hour to an hour and a half tops to play either you might fit both in :)

Jon

Ville Nurmi

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 01:45:00 PM »
Thanks all,
Fort Augustus it is and then three days at Askernish!!
Happy days in few weeks!!!
Jon Wiggett

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 10:49:40 AM »
Hope you have an enjoyable time Ville

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back