News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Here's a link that should enable you to see the whole course and specifically the 9th hole in more detail.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=t5xgx7gb327v&lvl=17&dir=0&sty=b&form=LMLTCC

atb

Emil Weber

The way it is I wouldn't change much about it. Maybe as mentioned before, replace the bunker by a hollow/hump.

The course looks really good. Too good to be in the British Isles and me never having heard about it  :o .

On the map it looks like there's a little pitch&putt aswell. That might be worthy of note too?

Mark Pavy

1. It's a left-handers hole, the horizon line is higher on the left than right.
2. Leave the out of bounds, you deserve the 2 shot penalty if you hit it there.
3. I'd modify the green, particularly the line generated from the high part of the green. Try and level this somewhat by dropping the green area near the trap.

Thomas Dai

Emil,

Very observant of you to spot the little pitch-n-putt course, which when I was there had sheep grazing on it. I asked about the p-n-p in the Clubhouse and was told that it is not part of the golf club but is operated by a local farmer and is only open in the summer holiday season.

As to not knowing about Dunfanaghy, if it hadn't been for GCA, and specifically for Donal's photo tour and Jeff's comments, I wouldn't have known about it either, but since visiting it's become a personal favourite and a place I'm extremely keen on returning too.

atb

Sean_A

It's what's happening behind the bunker on the left that doesn't suit my eye.

I don't know the course but I might be inclined to reinstate some of the native grasses back left and try and hide those wide, grass walkways a little better. this would give the rear dune a more cloaking feel the whole way around the green complex.

Interesting.  The wide area left suggests to me "safe area" from which it looks like getting up n down is very difficult.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

A review of the sat-map indicates that the main teeing area on this hole is pretty large but there's a much smaller tee on a small rocky headland. In overall terms the width of both tees combined is maybe 45 ys, in two separate pieces. When on the course I took the opportunity to walk out onto the rocky headland and this tee alters the angle of the hole considerably from the principle tee, where my 1st photo was taken from.

As to the left rear, there are a couple of paths at the rear that are somewhat on the wide side. Mower paths to the next tees more than player paths I believe, as there's a steep drop-off at the front of the 10th tee that prevents ride-on mower access from all but the rear. In addition, the best line into the green on the previous hole, the rather nice and pretty tricky par-4 8th, is from the left side, not too far from the 9th green. Perhaps this is a factor in the arrangements left of the 9th green (or perhaps not!?

Mark, your point 1, "It's a left-handers hole, the horizon line is higher on the left than right." is most fascinating. I don't think I've ever heard a hole analysed in this manner before. A most interesting observation.

Sean, spot on IMO, the area to the left side is certainly one that visually "suggests to me "safe area" from which it looks like getting up n down is very difficult". This is also a 'trick' that is used once again later on in the round at the splendid although longer par-3 17th hole.

atb
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 11:47:32 AM by Thomas Dai »

Ally Mcintosh

It's what's happening behind the bunker on the left that doesn't suit my eye.

I don't know the course but I might be inclined to reinstate some of the native grasses back left and try and hide those wide, grass walkways a little better. this would give the rear dune a more cloaking feel the whole way around the green complex.

Interesting.  The wide area left suggests to me "safe area" from which it looks like getting up n down is very difficult.

Ciao

Wasn't left I was talking about Sean... Just back left paths (out of play from the hole)... It's an aesthetic issue, not a playability one.

looking at the site map shows this might be difficult though...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back