News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Thurman

Three-Legged Pets and Golf Course Design
« on: July 28, 2014, 04:23:31 PM »
My wife has wanted a cat since we met. I'm more of a dog person myself, as I prefer the vapid tail-wagging of an emotionally shallow animal. My wife, on the other hand, was no doubt constantly frustrated by living with two drooling vertebrates whose lives revolve around food, sleep, and mindlessly chasing flying spheroids. When she asked again last week if we could get a cat, I caved.

We went to the Animal Adoption Foundation with our dog in tow. My wife went inside and covered herself in cat hair while the dog and I walked around outside and waited to be summoned for introductions to potential suitors. The dog and I got along equally well with all the cats we were introduced to. We were mostly uninterested in them, considering that we could neither eat them, sleep on them, or chase flying spheroids with them. The cats, on the other hand, had varying reactions to the indifferent dog in the room. Some hissed and some cowered, but one in particular seemed just as disinterested as he was, and perhaps even a little bit friendly. There was just one downside - the winning cat was missing a hind leg after using 7 lives in a bad car accident a few months ago.

We ended up adopting this bobtailed polydactyl tripod and brought her home, where it soon became obvious that she was the perfect cat for a humbugging dog person. She gets around just fine on the missing hind leg, but she doesn't have the firepower to do the things that I detest when it comes to most cats, like jump on counters or people. After three days, I've already decided that I'm perfectly fine with my wife having a cat for the rest of our lives, as long as she never has a cat with more than 3 legs.

Bringing this back to golf architecture: What are some courses with design characteristics that would normally be perceived as flawed, but produce an end result superior to what would have been the case if they had more conventional traits?
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Emil Weber

Re: Three-Legged Pets and Golf Course Design
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 04:39:52 PM »
A very enjoyable read, Jason.

recently I have found myself trying to relate normal life stuff to GCA aswell - without any presentable results yet.

Not sure how much this fits - but the first thing that came to my mind was this picture posted by Sean earlier in the "unsung heroes" thread. You wouldn't think at first sight that a perfectly square, flat, OOB area on the border of a course could add to the interest. But here it does. The hole reminds me strongly of the 11th hole at Saunton east for ehich i don't have any pics at hand..

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 04:47:20 PM by Emil Weber »

JLahrman

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 04:50:39 PM »
I would say any course that has a hotel and a road in play on a hole.

PS thanks for adopting from a shelter. See my avatar.

And three-legged animals are great. Additionally, you can frighten people by saying that you intentionally had the leg removed as a compromise with your wife. IE we can get a cat, but only if we remove a leg so that cat can't jump on me.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 05:29:07 PM »
Joel, the Road Hole was actually the hole I had in mind when I started this thread. I also think the 17th at Sawgrass might fit, at least with members of this forum who dislike the island green concept in general.

Also, my wife had a group of friends that just got into a huge Facebook-fight over someone posting pictures of a Doberman puppy with its ears recently cropped. They were outraged at the idea of cosmetic ear-clipping and went back and forth with the owner for 50 posts over it. In light of this, I've been begging my wife for two days to wrap a bandage around the stump and post a picture on Facebook explaining that we just got the cat back from her leg-docking surgery and talking about how fashionable three-legged pets are becoming. It would've started an Internet war and given me endless entertainment, but she won't do it so I'll have to settle for all the Mucci-bashing threads going at the moment instead.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

JLahrman

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 05:38:06 PM »
Oh, ear docking will start the internet fights. As will prong collars, trap neuter release, mandatory spay/neuter, open adoption policies, and breed-specific legislation. And one word thread titles.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 05:40:51 PM »
What comes to mind for me is a course on constrained acreage. Such courses have no other choice but to get inventive in terms of routing and, often, to incorporate features that might just as easily be left alone if you had more land to work with. As a specific example, I think of Merion. With twice the land available, a GCA might well have routed some holes along the stream, or over/through the quarry, or abutting OB, or put the first tee on the clubhouse patio. Maybe. But not all those things.

Michael Essig

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 05:55:11 PM »
The wall at North Berwick.  Standing over my 50 yard pitch, the wall made me nervous; more so than any bunker.  Also, because you can't see the green or the greenside contours, you have no idea what you are hitting onto.  It worked for me.

Bill_McBride

Re: Three-Legged Pets and Golf Course Design New
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 08:03:55 PM »
Joel, the Road Hole was actually the hole I had in mind when I started this thread. I also think the 17th at Sawgrass might fit, at least with members of this forum who dislike the island green concept in general.

Also, my wife had a group of friends that just got into a huge Facebook-fight over someone posting pictures of a Doberman puppy with its ears recently cropped. They were outraged at the idea of cosmetic ear-clipping and went back and forth with the owner for 50 posts over it. In light of this, I've been begging my wife for two days to wrap a bandage around the stump and post a picture on Facebook explaining that we just got the cat back from her leg-docking surgery and talking about how fashionable three-legged pets are becoming. It would've started an Internet war and given me endless entertainment, but she won't do it so I'll have to settle for all the Mucci-bashing threads going at the moment instead.

Now THAT is funny!

After Hurricane Katrina caused my daughter's evacuation from New Orleans, we had her big yellow dog for months.  During that time the dog lost her right front leg to osteomyelitis.   I was absolutely amazed by how quickly she learned to navigate our home including the eight steps from our back deck to the back yard.  She was truly inspirational.  
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 05:14:12 PM by Bill_McBride »

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 11:39:05 PM »
Thanks for adopting. And best of luck with your new buddy.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Nigel Islam

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 10:08:34 AM »
I'm going to throw out 5th at Crystal Downs. I suspect AMac violated a few of his own rules and of course 6 at Riviera.

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 01:48:49 PM »
If there were ever a thread deserving a Mucci title, this is it.

Lester George

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 10:53:06 AM »
Good stuff!

Lester

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back