News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Re: Henry Longhurst and the final game
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 08:21:37 PM »
Tommy,

Thank you for your kind words, I am delighted that you came in from the cold to post here. You have been missed in many ways. I hope you continue to drop in from time to time.

Best wishes.

Bob

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2014, 02:05:42 AM »
Bob,
Start the Shore Course on the 5th hole and play whatever you want. Put something on the grip to un-hole the ball and forget tees.
And keep posting.  Keep the wind at your back, my friend.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2014, 04:42:39 PM »
Bob, thanks for the update and post.  Maybe you can identify with this or not, but Bernard Darwin always helps me.  This is from an essay on the last round of a goling holiday.

"The fatal train has torn me away long since.  The holiday has become nearly merged in the glimmering company of those that have gone before it; I have been home for several days and not once yet have I taken my driver out of my bag to indulge in speculative contortions.  A little putting on the lawn perhaps, but a man must do something.  It only shows how important it is to hit the last shot of the last round on the last day.  I believe nothing else really matters."

"Speculative contortions"
Was he something?

Lyn,

The man was the consummate wordsmith. In reading the penultimate paragraph maybe I was a little hasty in my decision.

Bob
i

There's always something to get us out there again.  Best wishes Bob and keep serching for the joy.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mike Benham

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2014, 10:38:37 AM »

I talked with Bob earlier this week.  His own rumors of his demise are greatly exaggerated. 

Bob is the finest gentlemen that any of us will ever meet so it should be no surprise that he retired, not for the reason stated, but because in those first seven holes, he had already trumped his opponents in the friendly game of Wolf.  He did it to save them from further embarrassment.

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2014, 01:29:19 PM »

I talked with Bob earlier this week.  His own rumors of his demise are greatly exaggerated. 

Bob is the finest gentlemen that any of us will ever meet so it should be no surprise that he retired, not for the reason stated, but because in those first seven holes, he had already trumped his opponents in the friendly game of Wolf.  He did it to save them from further embarrassment.

Mike Benham is a provocateur, my only golfing activity will be on the driving range. I gave my grandson a set of Pings, a dozen golf caps and balls. I couldn't find it as yet to jettiison my Hogan Apex's circa 1972, 1 iron though sand wedge. I view them now and they look like razor blades  on a very hefty shaft.

Bob

Andy Troeger

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2014, 02:15:02 PM »

I count myself among the fortunate to spend a round with Bob at MPCC in 2007 (or 08?), and I consider my loss at Wolf to Bob as one of the great GCA rites of passage, and a true badge of honor.

Bob,
I wholeheartedly agree with Brad's comments above, and apparently my Wolf loss occurred around the same time!

If you truly intend to cease your golf course endeavors, I'd encourage you to consider one thing. From my own experience, playing over 200 tournaments prior to my high school graduation, I knew that I never wanted to play in another. My last effort came in some state qualifier and I shot the worst competitive score of my life. I was so ashamed/disgusted that I asked my playing competitor to turn the card in for me and I was out of the parking lot before it was posted, never to return. But I couldn't end it that way, so a few years later I entered a PGA playing test where you have to shoot a certain score over 36 holes to pass. I planned and practiced, and after a long day I parred the last two holes (including a terrifying downhill slider on the 35th) to pass on the number. I walked away that day knowing I never needed to play another competitive round, and 10+ years later I've never been tempted.

Point being--find a way to finish on your own terms. Play your favorite hole (or two or three!) at MPCC or CPC or wherever your heart calls you. Give yourself a chance to celebrate all those wonderful moments that you've shared with this great game. And if it is time, walk away with a smile!  :)

Cheers!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back