News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Henry Longhurst and the final game
« on: July 23, 2014, 12:25:22 AM »

Today I played with two stalwart friends and  GCA member from Sidney, one Michael Taylor. The opening holes were quite satisfying but as the round progressed I realized that eighteen holes of golf was beyond my feeble strength and ability.

After seven holes I apologized and got a ride back to the Clubhouse. An ignominious end to some seventy years of golfing joy.

I am sorry to say it, but some time it will come to you all.

Best wishes

Bob

Tim_Weiman

Re: Henry Longhurst and the final game
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 12:46:18 AM »

Today I played with two stalwart friends and  GCA member from Sidney, one Michael Taylor. The opening holes were quite satisfying but as the round progressed I realized that eighteen holes of golf was beyond my feeble strength and ability.

After seven holes I apologized and got a ride back to the Clubhouse. An ignominious end to some seventy years of golfing joy.

I am sorry to say it, but some time it will come to you all.

Best wishes

Bob

Bob,

Your post is one I will never forget.
Tim Weiman

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 01:18:30 AM »
Bob, just remember that so many of our GCA denizens have made the trip not to watch your graceful swing (though I'm a lucky one of the treehouse inhabitants to have witnessed that well honed tempo and competence not that long ago...) but they come to enjoy the company of the gentleman who doesn't diminish by the passing of a few years, in the least.   ;)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 01:28:56 AM »
Uncle Bob,

Sorry I have been tied to the whipping post and out of touch with everybody.

If you are to know one thing from my corner, know this: The last time we were together, having herniated a disc and unable to play turned out to be a blessing. Rather than playing the Shore Course with our extended coterie, I received the fabulous gift of spending an afternoon with your undivided attention riding around and then enjoying a private lunch.

You are my hero for more reasons than I can count and one of my greatest regrets is having to turn down the honor of being your partner in the Member-Guest many years ago, to give a presentation in New York that turned out to be a waste of time.

I'm sad you've reached the point - like my father - when a round of golf is a bit much, but just remember you are loved, admired and valued for your wisdom and who you are - and not where the damned pellet goes.

Everybody has a great Huntley story . . . . . . and there is not much more to state than that.  

From my set of spikes, you occupy your own category - and there is nobody in the world even remotely like you.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 01:33:14 AM by Gib Papazian »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 08:59:46 AM »
Bob, hopefully you can get out for six, nine or however many holes you choose when you feel like it.  Keep swinging!

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 09:41:50 AM »
A heck of a run Bob.  What was your favorite round in those 70 years?

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 09:59:44 AM »
A short essay from Henry Longhurst about the most sincere compliment that Bobby Jones felt he was ever paid.

http://bobbyjones.emory.edu/bobby-jones/henry-longhurst.html

"My, but you're a wonder, Sir!" - applicable here.  ;)
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 04:03:36 PM »
A heck of a run Bob.  What was your favorite round in those 70 years?

Jason, There have been so many that it is difficult to relate them. I would say that one that comes to mind is playing with my wife at Mauna Kea in the late seventies. A wonderful skier but a golfing novice, she putted like Bobby Locke.

The saddest was a few months ago playing with John Bernhardt.

Bob

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 04:20:10 PM »
Bob,
  You don't know me, I'm just a young whippersnapper of 55, but having  had some physical issues myself, I am sensitive to the concept of not playing. I just want to join with others and congratulate you on your lengthy playing career, and join with Mr Mcbride in encouraging your next effort. You've probably forgotten more about the game than I will ever know.
My best regards to you.

Charlie Gallagher

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 04:02:48 AM »
Bob, I'm sorry to read your opening post, but it should make most here cherish each round played.

I'm very glad Michael got to meet you and share a game.

Matthew
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 06:28:13 AM »
A short essay from Henry Longhurst about the most sincere compliment that Bobby Jones felt he was ever paid.

http://bobbyjones.emory.edu/bobby-jones/henry-longhurst.html

"My, but you're a wonder, Sir!" - applicable here.  ;)

I was going to develop my own affection, but Pro here found the right words, as he so often does.

Bob, I believe it was you who dressed me down a good eight years ago on this site, for disparaging a course I had never played (Pebble Beach) nor seen in person. You didn't do so in a harsh, direct way. Instead, you led me to make a proper conclusion, which is something all great teachers do and all young teachers should strive to incorporate.

I hope you enjoyed your time with Pup. He is going through a hell that most would keep private, but he has made public for us to help and learn from. Perhaps he's one of those great teachers, too.

Breathe deeply, early and often. Play the shots that you choose to play.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 12:53:33 PM »
Bob,

Did I tell you Katie Bernhardt asked me to do a reading at the memorial service for her dad in Lafayette?   The house was packed, Tiger had many friends.   Last time I saw him was in May 2012 when Kathleen and I drove to Lafayette and took him to see our favorite country songwriter, Guy Clark, at the local performing arts center.  He looked awful and sounded worse but it was wonderful spending the evening with him.   He was a great guy to travel with, I miss him every time I start planning a trip.  The last time we played together was at another of his clubs, Champions in Houston.  About 30 guys took time to tell him get well soon.  No such luck.

Hang in there and play as much as you can.  The alternatives are not exciting!

Cheers,

Bill

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 01:14:03 PM »
Bob,

Can you still putt? Your last line reminds me of William Munny in "Unforgiven:" we all got it coming, kid.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 06:07:46 PM »
Bob, thanks for the update and post.  Maybe you can identify with this or not, but Bernard Darwin always helps me.  This is from an essay on the last round of a goling holiday.

"The fatal train has torn me away long since.  The holiday has become nearly merged in the glimmering company of those that have gone before it; I have been home for several days and not once yet have I taken my driver out of my bag to indulge in speculative contortions.  A little putting on the lawn perhaps, but a man must do something.  It only shows how important it is to hit the last shot of the last round on the last day.  I believe nothing else really matters."

"Speculative contortions"
Was he something?
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 07:30:20 PM »
Bob, thanks for the update and post.  Maybe you can identify with this or not, but Bernard Darwin always helps me.  This is from an essay on the last round of a goling holiday.

"The fatal train has torn me away long since.  The holiday has become nearly merged in the glimmering company of those that have gone before it; I have been home for several days and not once yet have I taken my driver out of my bag to indulge in speculative contortions.  A little putting on the lawn perhaps, but a man must do something.  It only shows how important it is to hit the last shot of the last round on the last day.  I believe nothing else really matters."

"Speculative contortions"
Was he something?

Lyn,

The man was the consummate wordsmith. In reading the penultimate paragraph maybe I was a little hasty in my decision.

Bob
i

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 11:53:13 PM »
Bob,

it is difficult to imagine you will not soon be heading out over MPCC with your friends or maybe even with some poor sole you met over GCA like me who was fortunate enough to meet you through this wonderful discussion group set up by Ran.

Hopefully your health may send you out on the course once again. Your generosity and willingness to allow special experiences for members of this site will never be forgotten.

We met at the Kings Putter back in about 2007 or 2008 but hardly came to know each other that weekend. On returning to Vancouver, I was surprised to receive an email message the following week inviting me to give you a call. Once we connected, after some pleasant chat you asked if I had been involved in arranging for (then) young Jordan Wall to attend at the KP the previous weekend and I confirmed that I had, along with John Mayhugh (at that time John and I had not met but a there was a connection). Jordan was the youngest member of GCA at the time and faced limitations as to whether or not he could attend KP that year. Jordan and I had come to know each other through Sean Leary one weekend the previous fall and Jordan was clearly wanting to attend the Kings Putter in Monterey. As he could not (due to hIS age) rent a car and did not have a credit card, he and I decided we would attend together at the Kings Putter which turned out to be fortuitous and also a lot of fun for both of us. It meant I had company in a rental car and since his parent's consented, I thought it was great I could take him around at KP. I will never forget taking Jordan to Inn-n-Out for his first "Double-Double" that weekend.

Your call to me the following Monday was an invitation I will never forget and resulted in one of the greatest days of my life which included a round with you at MPCC in the afternoon. I thank you so much and that all came about as a result of your mention that i had been generous to Jordan. Jordan is a great kid (now adult) and being generous to him was easy. The fact that you recognized my very simple assistance to Jordan said much about you. Thank you so much!

I have not been active of late on GCA but have made some wonderful friends from all over the world as a result of my participation in this group and I value having come to know you and several others on this site.

Please continue to stay involved, even if you are not playing, and we will continue to look forward to any words you can add to this community. Thank you so much for all you have done.

Bob J

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 12:43:03 AM »
Bob,

You are very kind to take the time writing to me.

I remember the meeting well and thought what better thing to do for a tyro than to get him the chance to travel on his limited funds.. A wonderful young man and I hope he doing well.

Do stay in touch and let me know if you are coming this way once more.

Best wishes,

Bob

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 04:24:26 PM »
Dearest Bob,
Please retract your comments in this thread immediately.
I still cling to the however vain thought that we will play a few holes in St Andrews one day soon. Very selfishly, if I knew for a fact that was never going to happen, one of my dreams would be gone.
I'll be more than happy to push the bath-chair!!!
Much love,
Martin.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 04:32:30 PM »
Bob,
We have never met but I read your posts with very much respect and interest.
I fail to see that the day has come for you, even if it is one hole and a ride around the vistas and smells of MPCC  you ae still at least one step in front of most of the golfing public.
Enjoy what you can, if it is one shot it is one shot, if it is one look at the tumbling waves on the ocean holes, so be it, but I do not want to think of this as your golfing end.
In fact I refuse to do that, the sights ,sounds and colours of your Mother Africa refuses it also.
all the best my friend

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 07:28:55 PM »
Bob,

It's very sad to hear your play is now limited. Although you have given so much back to golf I'm sure you benefitted quite a bit as well. Perhaps you could look back and give the Discussion Group a few details of your many exploits in the game of golf. If you would please indulge me, I'm positive there are many here who would enjoy hearing about the details.

When and how did you get involved in golf?

What was your lowest handicap?

What was your lowest round, on each continent!

How many career hole in ones; no need to include pedestrian holes!

As an R&A Member what is your fondest recollection of The Old Course.

What were your three best experiences in golf?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 07:48:49 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

RJ_Daley

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 10:19:30 AM »
In light of Pete's series of pertinent questions, and the new feature "Best of Golf" where we see how good a video interview like the one Don Mahaffey did plays with visual enhancement of expression and the sound of the voice; it seems to me that some competent videographer get busy and get out to Carmel and find a suitable outdoor spot with the Peninsula in the backdrop, and get Mr. Huntley on the record.  Maybe Gib could direct it?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 10:52:56 AM »
Great idea RJ!

I count myself among the fortunate to spend a round with Bob at MPCC in 2007 (or 08?), and I consider my loss at Wolf to Bob as one of the great GCA rites of passage, and a true badge of honor.

Bob, I hope you can still get out to play here and there, as the game needs people like you in it!

This is a strange and wonderful pastime we are all addicted to, and one of its beauties is that every shot has behind it the years of advice, encouragement, and companionship of all we encounter while playing golf.  I am lucky to have Bob (and many others on this board) on the list of people that have brought me to this point in golf. 
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Dan Kelly

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 12:41:49 PM »
An ignominious end to some seventy years of golfing joy.

Hush your mouth, Sir Bob.

There is nothing ignominious about realizing when the time for the inevitable has arrived.

And who knows? Tomorrow might bring a different story.

Here's my counsel, from Dylan Thomas:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Dan
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

John Mayhugh

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 08:17:36 AM »
Bob,
Sorry to read this.  There's nothing wrong with nine or six or even three hole rounds if you're up to them.  There should be no shortage of people ready to join you for any of those.

Please keep participating here.  You add so much to the site.

Tommy Naccarato

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 07:12:51 PM »
Bob, With my flirtations with bad physical health, I've always found comfort in one short sentence, and which I urge you to never give up, never surrender: "They can take my golf club from me when they pry it from my cold dead hand......"

While I understand the struggles Bob, I completely understand the thought, but as the Great Vin Scully said yesterday, that there is no need to quit, not now, and that the hope of the blessing of life comes from high to grant him one more year.  Your in that same class as Vin. You have too many games left in you to be thinking such none sense!  Sure, some of them might be just a few holes, the point is that you never will give up, and gentleman like you never surrender!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back