News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

Exmoor
« on: July 22, 2014, 03:46:11 PM »
In my recent trip to Chicago I was afforded some truly great golf. 

Shoreacres is as good if not better as it is said to be.  In fact it is exceptional, majestic, and a true golf course worthy of study for all interested in gca.

Erin Hills was a fabulous golf course and in my opinion easily lived up to it's height.  I liked it much better than Chambers Bay but that is just my own opinion and a comparison I make only because the two courses are hosting US Opens in the near future.

Kemper Lakes was a good course, reminded me a lot of something I would play in Florida on the front side but the back side had some really quality holes.

The course that blew me away, however, was Exmoor G&CC, and I am still very surprised it doesn't get more chatter here on GCA.  Exmoor is a very old golf course, rich in history and storied with tradition.  The property of the course is nothing too crazy, maybe 60 feet in elevation from the very bottom to top portions of the property.  It is a Donald Ross course, or so I'm told, but CB MacDonald actually laid out the club's first nine holes.  For gca fans who have played golf in Chicago and overlook Exmoor, you are truly missing out.  Do yourselves a favor and check out this golf course.

Exmoor is expertly crafted with great strategy spreadout through all it's holes.  At the second, a drive favoring the left side is ideal both to gain the best angle into the green but also to stay clear of OB right.  However, hit it a little too far left and your second shot, while open in front, is blind due to a bunker Ross put some 100 yards or so in front of the green.  Great use of bunkering.

While I won't do a hole by hole review of the course, I will say that in general, both the greens and the bunkering stood out to me as top notch with an emphasis on strategy and placing your shot where it needs to be to gain the ideal angle of attack.

The course has enough girth to challenge good players, but it also playable for the average golfer.  The par-3's are diverse and the greens on each are incredible.  The eighth is a redan of sorts, featuring a huge green that will feed your tee-ball left toward pins over the front bunker.  The 13th (?) features one of the wildest greens on the course, being mutli-tiered with a spine running through both the top and bottom.

A quality from Exmoor I thought superb was that if you were to choose the toughest pins, many holes would feature a pin location dead in the middle of the green.  Is that not a testament to how good greens can really be?

So, moving forward, with this being a very general review, I'm curious as to what others think of the golf course?

Why is it not discussed more here on GCA?

How would you guys compare it to other Chicago golf courses?

Any thoughts in general on the course...?

I loved it.

Stephen Davis

Re: Exmoor
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 04:18:59 PM »
I am with you in that I absolutely love Exmoor. Of the courses in Chicago that I have played, I would put only behind Chicago GC and Shoreacres (two of my all time favorites).   

George Freeman

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 05:07:36 PM »
I am with you in that I absolutely love Exmoor. Of the courses in Chicago that I have played, I would put only behind Chicago GC and Shoreacres (two of my all time favorites).   

Stephen -

Just out of curiosity - which courses have you played in Chicago-land?
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Stephen Davis

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 05:20:04 PM »

Stephen -

Just out of curiosity - which courses have you played in Chicago-land?
My list is certainly not exhaustive, but here is what I have played. CGC, Shoreacres, Exmoor, Olympia Fields and Butler.

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 05:41:57 PM »
My guess is, since it's July, that you missed the best thing about Exmoor-  The Curling Rink and bar! (and this is no knock on the course whatsoever)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 09:13:07 AM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 08:59:55 AM »
I think Shoreacres deserves its own thread. After the recent work done there, and with the new green keeper from Merion, SA is simply a remarkable golf course. Better than before, more fun, more challenging and more beautiful. I have the pleasure of playing there at least 5-7 times per year.

Exmoor is known as a "big boy's golf course" in Chicago. I've played a few tournaments there and that course has some teeth from the tips. It's a club that is also known for its rather vibrant social scene, too. I hear that they will be redoing their greens this year and closing the course in a couple of weeks.

Ron Priitchard did some restoration work there several years ago I believe. It's in Chicago's "Top 5" for sure, IMO.
Glad you played it, Jordan.

So many other great options here. Pity that you played Kemper instead of any other number of great courses close to it.
I remember that in the 80's, when Kemper was a daily fee course, it was the first course in the region to charge $100 for a round.

Jud_T

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 09:14:21 AM »
Ian,

What work has been done at Shoreacres?  Haven't been out there for a couple of years and wasn't aware that anything was afoot.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 09:48:47 AM »
Dont want to hijack Jordan's thread here, Jud...;-)

Let's see...where to start...this is what I can piece together, but I must say that I do NOT speak with 100% first-hand knowledge.

Most of the work was done internally with RGD acting as a consultant, but not in a typical, hands-on way. Wadsworth do a lot of the work and the project was driven by a very knowledgable person who had done similar things at another local, top course.

- fairways were expanded significantly
- practice area built (between 1st green and 18 tee)
- new putting green
- further tree remediation
- many bunkers replaced and made more prominent and visible
- fairways roll into bunkers
- green collars and fringes removed
- greens roll into bunkers on all holes making the player exercise caution and prudence when approaching and putting
- ~250 yards added to back tees. Many of the par 4s are now downright hard at 491, 478, etc. (Holes 5, 7, 10, 16 specifically)
- changes to par 3 12th: tee box lowered 8 feet, bunker added on left of green
- changes to 13: trees removed from left so you dont heed to hit a 45 degree draw with a 5 iron any more...;-)

I'm sure there is more, but that is gist of it.

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 09:59:00 AM »
Dont want to hijack Jordan's thread here, Jud...;-)

Let's see...where to start...this is what I can piece together, but I must say that I do NOT speak with 100% first-hand knowledge.

Most of the work was done internally with RGD acting as a consultant, but not in a typical, hands-on way. Wadsworth do a lot of the work and the project was driven by a very knowledgable person who had done similar things at another local, top course.

- fairways were expanded significantly
- practice area built (between 1st green and 18 tee)
- new putting green
- further tree remediation
- many bunkers replaced and made more prominent and visible
- fairways roll into bunkers
- green collars and fringes removed
- greens roll into bunkers on all holes making the player exercise caution and prudence when approaching and putting
- ~250 yards added to back tees. Many of the par 4s are now downright hard at 491, 478, etc. (Holes 5, 7, 10, 16 specifically)
- changes to par 3 12th: tee box lowered 8 feet, bunker added on left of green
- changes to 13: trees removed from left so you dont heed to hit a 45 degree draw with a 5 iron any more...;-)

I'm sure there is more, but that is gist of it.

Ian,

I haven't seen it myself but what I've heard from friends who are members that is a pretty good summary. From all accounts the recent  work completed at Shoreacres is exceptional.
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 10:00:04 AM »
I think Exmoor is a fine course, but Top 5 in Chicago??? Really??
H.P.S.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 10:50:10 AM »

Yup!
But, that's also why I say "IMO" as in that is my subjective opinion.

1. CGC
2. Shoreacres

Then in NO order:

3. Skokie
4. Exmoor

5. Medinah and OFCC (interchangeable)

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 11:10:48 AM »

Yup!
But, that's also why I say "IMO" as in that is my subjective opinion.

1. CGC
2. Shoreacres

Then in NO order:

3. Skokie
4. Exmoor

5. Medinah and OFCC (interchangeable)

Hmmm....interesting. From off the top of my head I think my personal list would go something like this:

1. Shoreacres
2. Chicago
3. Old Elm
4 / 5. Skokie / Glen View
6. OFCC (North)

I guess I would put Exmoor in there with North Shore, Flossmoor, Beverly, Bob O's?

For example, Ian, why would you put Exmoor ahead of GVC? (Just curious).
H.P.S.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 11:25:51 AM »
Did not want to present excessive personal bias and get flamed by locals.
Glen View has indeed been raised up a few notches following Jim Urbina's restoration. What have you heard?

BTW, Urbina was hired by Bob 'O Link to do some work there. Dont know how will it shake up. Hope he gets carte blanche as they need work.

Re: Old Elm...love it and it could easily be on the list. I like front 9, especially holes 1 and 4.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 12:30:51 PM »
My list consists of a top 3 and the rest are interchangeable given one's tastes. It's CGC , Shoreacres, OFCC north.  The next tier are medinah 1/3,  Butler, Flossmoor, Blacksheep, Skokie, Beverly , OFCC south, Elgin CC, Old Elm, Edgewood Valley, Glenview Club, Exmoor, and North Shore. If you consider the ratings of Golfweek classics it is CGC , SA, Medinah 3, OFCC , and Beverly making the top 100- hard to argue with that list - maybe the specific position, but all worthy of top 100 status IMO .

PCCraig

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 12:36:16 PM »
Did not want to present excessive personal bias and get flamed by locals.
Glen View has indeed been raised up a few notches following Jim Urbina's restoration. What have you heard?

BTW, Urbina was hired by Bob 'O Link to do some work there. Dont know how will it shake up. Hope he gets carte blanche as they need work.

Re: Old Elm...love it and it could easily be on the list. I like front 9, especially holes 1 and 4.

Ok, thanks Ian.

I haven't played Exmoor in 4 or 5 years, so I'm just surprised to read that so many rank it so high in Chicago all of a sudden.

Ian, I have heard really good things about GVC. Looking forward to getting down there to see Urbina's work soon.
H.P.S.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 12:49:54 PM »
As for Exmoor, yes, we are shutting down August 1 to re-grass and for a little green expansion, but not one shovel of dirt will be moved anywhere near the core of the greens.  I'm glad you enjoyed your day, Jordan.  (BTW, the green with the double-Y spine is #14).  It was great to have you out and you were a lot of fun to play with.  

:)

Jud_T

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 01:10:19 PM »
Exmoor may not be the best course in Chicago, but it might well be the most underrated.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 01:17:20 PM »
Exmoor may not be the best course in Chicago, but it might well be the most underrated.
Have you played Elgin CC? It may be the best piece of golf terrain in Chicago. Very sporty course that gets completely overlooked. I agree Exmoor should get more respect .

John McCarthy

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 01:21:19 PM »
Next year when the work is done would be a nice time to revisit the Chicagoland rankings.  There has been a lot of work done on many of the top courses recently.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 02:46:26 PM »
Jordan:

Thanks for the heads up.  I am heading out to do a Michigan/Chicago trip in the fall and was on the fence about whether to try to slot in Exmoor during my few days in Chicago.  You've convinced me to pull the trigger.

Much obliged.

Jon Cavalier
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Jordan Wall

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 07:51:28 PM »
I want to second the praise for what's been done at Shoreacres.  It's always been a museum piece, but with the lengthening, the green and fairway expansions and the tree clearing, it's now more magnificent than ever, and quite a test from the back tees.  #5, 7, 10 (new back tee on the other side of the road), 14 (yes, the redan), 15, and 16 are all now longer - some significantly longer with real impact on how the hole plays - #5, 7, 15, and 16 in particular.  7 and 16 are now beastly par 4s into the south wind.  The slope on the redan is now cut at green level, not fringe level and it's now 200+ (rather than 185ish), which is WAY better for the draw shot the hole begs you to hit.  All sorts of great changes out there, including new bunkering and cutting the fairways to feed the ball all the way into the bunkers.  Just unbelievable what they've done.

As for Exmoor, yes, we are shutting down August 1 to re-grass and for a little green expansion, but not one shovel of dirt will be moved anywhere near the core of the greens.  I'm glad you enjoyed your day, Jordan.  (BTW, the green with the double-Y spine is #14).  It was great to have you out and you were a lot of fun to play with.  

#5 was what, 491 into the wind when we played?  Some of those new back tees at Shoreacres, as mentioned earlier, made the holes downright difficult.  Don't know what they were like before but they are about all the par-4 you would ever want as is.

Yes, 14 was the par-3 with the double spine.

6 and 15 are also worth mentioning as standout holes in my opinion, both excellent risk-reward par-5's.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 10:34:45 PM »
I'm actually kind of surprised we've gone this far into this thread without a single reference to Schlitz.

And somebody should take Shiv up on his offer. Regardless of whether you think it's top 5 in Chicago or top 10, it's a fun golf course, a good golf course and very much worth a play.

Dan Moore

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 11:50:26 PM »
David. I can make it if it's still possible  Sent you an IM.
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Peter Flory

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 11:00:21 PM »
Do we know what happened to the CBM original 9 holes at Exmoor?  Were they thrown out or did they just add 9 more holes, or some combination of the two? 

Anthony Fowler

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2017, 07:48:32 PM »
Do we know what happened to the CBM original 9 holes at Exmoor?  Were they thrown out or did they just add 9 more holes, or some combination of the two? 

According to the club historian, they have a pretty good sense of where the original 9 holes were, and almost all of it has been lost. Stewart Gardner, the head professional, discarded most of the original holes when he expanded to 18. The only exception is that the original 9th more or less played across the same spot where the current 18th lies today. And the original first tee was in roughly the spot of the current 17th tee, although the hole did not play in the same direction.

Another thing to add is that the original 9 holes was not just CBM. It was Tweedie, Whigham, and CBM.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back