News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

It's funny, someone of the Tobacco Road greens thread asked a question I was also pondering - how much would be a reasonable price yearly to become a member of Tobacco Road? 

It's funny how things work - I remember talking with one of the owners who said there were two members...he and his partner:)  But also the amount of interest on GCA.com alone is actually quite remarkable.  They could probably do quite well, seeing how solid the golf course is. 

How much would be reasonable for a year pass?

What about other great USA publics?  Where else would make a great public members club.  When I lived in upstate NY, I "joined" Hiawatha Landing, and I've always rather fancied joining Leatherstocking...
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Jamey Bryan

Re: Hypothetical: Membership at Tobacco Road and other great publics
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 11:11:44 AM »
Jay, I'm surprised you didn't know the membership fees at Caledonia/True Blue!!

2014 Golf Membership Fees

Single $1,875
Couple $2,500
Young Adult (18-25 years old) $1,275
Super Senior (78 years+) $1,275
Add junior(s) 17 and under to any membership $150.00

Cart fee of $25 per round additional.

I would find these a little high if I lived in the area, but primarily due to the inconvenience of heavy daily fee play and crowded conditions (5+ hour average rounds).  Certainly a bargain, though, if one considers only the  quality of the courses.

Jamey

Daryl David

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 11:21:12 AM »
Wine Valley

$1000 initiation
$280 per month

Membership Includes:
Unlimited Play
Unlimited use of driving range and practice areas
10% discount on Golf Shop merchandise
Charging privileges and monthly billing
No dining minimums
3% discount if full year paid in advance
Reserve Club green fee rate for member’s guests
Unlimited cart use for $50 per month
Add children under the age of 23 for $25 per month

Carl Rogers

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 12:49:38 PM »
Can this thread be expanded to include national memberships?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 12:58:57 PM »
Lawsonia

$1600 Single
$2200 Family
$500 Junior

Wild Horse

$575 Family
$475 Single
$200 College
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 01:00:53 PM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jason Thurman

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 01:10:49 PM »
Maybe if I talk my wife into a move to Denver, I can have the truck "break down" in Gothenburg on the way and convince her to settle there. What a ridiculously great deal.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 02:24:51 PM »
Yes, definitely include prices for Natal members
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 02:51:34 PM »
Yes, definitely include prices for Natal members

Durban Country Club: full member with golf option (2 rounds/mo) R10,800/year, add unlimited golf option for R8,800
Umkomaas Golf Course: full member R2,580 / year (excludes joining fee)
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 02:55:12 PM »
It's funny, someone of the Tobacco Road greens thread asked a question I was also pondering - how much would be a reasonable price yearly to become a member of Tobacco Road? 

It's funny how things work - I remember talking with one of the owners who said there were two members...he and his partner:)  But also the amount of interest on GCA.com alone is actually quite remarkable.  They could probably do quite well, seeing how solid the golf course is. 

How much would be reasonable for a year pass?

What about other great USA publics?  Where else would make a great public members club.  When I lived in upstate NY, I "joined" Hiawatha Landing, and I've always rather fancied joining Leatherstocking...

I asked that question because there is a small chance work could take me to the Sanford area.  I haven't fully decided if I'd live in far SW Raleigh area, Pinehurst or Sanford itself, but if they did offer memberships/annual pass it seems like a place that would be great to join probably as a second, golf only venue, since the family will probably want a pool and social at our primary club, since we won't know anyone in the area initially.

There is something I have a psychological issue with about paying $100+ a round on a regular basis, even if it comes out to the same amount per round as a membership would.

ChipRoyce

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 04:51:43 PM »
Jay, I'm surprised you didn't know the membership fees at Caledonia/True Blue!!

2014 Golf Membership Fees

Single $1,875
Couple $2,500
Young Adult (18-25 years old) $1,275
Super Senior (78 years+) $1,275
Add junior(s) 17 and under to any membership $150.00

Cart fee of $25 per round additional.

I would find these a little high if I lived in the area, but primarily due to the inconvenience of heavy daily fee play and crowded conditions (5+ hour average rounds).  Certainly a bargain, though, if one considers only the  quality of the courses.

Jamey

I am such a fan of Caledonia. Those $'s are more than reasonable if I lived nearby and felt I could get tee times or get out during twilight. Adding True Blue is an extra perk. That said, would prefer to walk when I wanted. Do they waive the cart fee if walking?

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 05:55:10 PM »
Pine Needles/Mid Pines as of 2012 $2520 if local, $1470 if living in NC but over 50 miles, $945 national, $265 overseas (each category also has initiation fees

Pinehurst #1-#6 $4500 and add about a grand if you want #7-#9 (must own property in the village and pay initiation)

John McCarthy

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 06:05:24 PM »
Bowes Creek in Elgin IL is $4,400 annual.  Can also get privledges at Highlands of Elgin for that price.

Highlands of Elgin alone is $2,300 for non residents, 500 less for residents.  If I lived a half hour closer highlands would get my custom.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

BCowan

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 06:11:05 PM »
Pine Needles/Mid Pines as of 2012 $2520 if local, $1470 if living in NC but over 50 miles, $945 national, $265 overseas (each category also has initiation fees

Pinehurst #1-#6 $4500 and add about a grand if you want #7-#9 (must own property in the village and pay initiation)

Best deal.  There are guys that live in Durham and they commute every weekend to MP/PN
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 06:16:49 PM by BCowan »

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 06:30:30 PM »
Ravisloe CC

$2500 Single
$4000 Couple

Kankakee Elks

$945 Single
$1175 Family
$200 Junior

Spring Valley CC

Individual $670
Couple $1070
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Cliff Walston

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 06:53:09 PM »

Best deal.  There are guys that live in Durham and they commute every weekend to MP/PN

I played with an NC State professor in the first tee time at MidPines earlier this year on this arrangement.  He said it was way better deal.  He left his house at 6.  Two practice swings and off the first tee at 7:00.  We were done at 9:45 as a walking twosome.  He was showered and in his office by 11:00 most days he said.

George Freeman

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 08:56:27 PM »
I don't know the exact numbers, but Greywalls in MI's UP has always had an unbelievable deal.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

BCowan

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 09:54:58 PM »

I played with an NC State professor in the first tee time at MidPines earlier this year on this arrangement.  He said it was way better deal.  He left his house at 6.  Two practice swings and off the first tee at 7:00.  We were done at 9:45 as a walking twosome.  He was showered and in his office by 11:00 most days he said.

Cliff,

That is the twosome/group I heard about from my buddy who is a PN/MP member .  I love these guy's passion...

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 07:05:29 AM »

Cliff,

That is the twosome/group I heard about from my buddy who is a PN/MP member .  I love these guy's passion...

I joined PN/MP in the initial offering in 2009 or 08 whenever it was. A great move on my part. I drive two hrs and play away! Even my wife loves it and she doesn't play golf.

ChipRoyce

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 09:56:36 AM »

True, but the mileage cost does eat in a little into the savings and your spouse better have something to stay occupied (pool boy?) since you'll be gone 7-8 hours / day for golf (vs. 4 hours when I play across the street from my house at Prestonwood).

Cliff Walston

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 04:26:33 PM »
This thread got me thinking about Pinehurst members.  How hard is it for a member to get a tee time on No. 2 with 7 day reservations?  Seems like all the good tee times would be booked by resort guests well in advance of that.  I think it would be frustrating to be a member and to battle the resort guests, but maybe its not that big of a deal in reality.  Anyone have any insight?

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 06:14:19 PM »
This thread got me thinking about Pinehurst members.  How hard is it for a member to get a tee time on No. 2 with 7 day reservations?  Seems like all the good tee times would be booked by resort guests well in advance of that.  I think it would be frustrating to be a member and to battle the resort guests, but maybe its not that big of a deal in reality.  Anyone have any insight?

Each day there are reserved blocks of tee times for members only (similar to the way many UK clubs operate).  I can't seem to find the schedule that shows the allocations right now but there are blocks of tee times reserved for members on the courses that are open for play.  These reserved tee times are not used for resort guests.  From observation #2 does have fewer allocated tee times for members but there are often unused member tee times.  Further if you have out of town guests, as a member, you are able to make advance tee time requests.

BCowan

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 06:30:53 PM »
Jay,

It is funny you asked this question/hypothetical because I asked a friend who lives in Durham,NC the same question 2 weeks ago.  Since he commutes to varies courses and isn't sure he wants to join a CC due his job and not knowing how long he will live in the area.  If I lived in Durham and TR blocked off the first couple hours I'd pay $2,000 for season/member pass.  Half an hour drive. 

ChipRoyce

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2014, 03:17:12 PM »
Jay,

It is funny you asked this question/hypothetical because I asked a friend who lives in Durham,NC the same question 2 weeks ago.  Since he commutes to varies courses and isn't sure he wants to join a CC due his job and not knowing how long he will live in the area.  If I lived in Durham and TR blocked off the first couple hours I'd pay $2,000 for season/member pass.  Half an hour drive. 

I hate to say it, but for $2K, there's a chance I'd ditch my membership and do that as well (guaranteed access to the first times of the day, esp. if they start early (6:30a or so).

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2014, 08:13:52 AM »
Chipper,

Wouldn't you get tired of playing in the dew and chasing the grounds crew every day?

There are worse condemnations in life, I'll admit.

Can TR be played in reverse?
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Craig Disher

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2014, 09:04:37 AM »

I checked on PN/MP last year and the dues are about the same as above. The initiation fee was reasonable but property owners of property or second homes in Moore County are considered local and must pay the local initiation fee which is steep for part time use. It would be more sensible to pay the going greens fee and watch for specials.

The golf initiation fees for new property owners are considerable but if the previous property owner was a member and agrees to transfer the membership there is a savings. The membership structure has 3 basic levels - access to 1-6; 1-6 plus 8 plus free walking on 1-6, 8 and 2; and all previous plus access to 7 and 9. Access to 7 and 9 requires an additional initiation fee. At the top end, that is a lot of available golf - more than I could handle.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 12:17:50 PM by Craig Disher »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back