News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

So 'old Tom Watson finishes 'The Open' on a links course higher than some players that will be on his team.  Old Tom knows his links typical Open venues.  It seems to me if TRC were to be contested on a links course, he might factor in some player skill sets tailored for links, that he has great insight to evaluate. 

But what of the Centenary Course?  Who here knows the course, and what say you about matching player skills and traits with the course venue?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Matthew Petersen

Re: Gleneagles Centenary Course design, Ryder Cup and Captains picks?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 09:57:18 AM »
The Centenary would seem to have more in common with Valhalla, the PGA venue, than any links course.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 10:07:30 AM »
The Europeans haven't played the Ryder Cup on a links course for years. But they have done pretty well at The Belfry, Valderrama, K Club, Celtic Manor - very far from links courses. So why change a winning formula?

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 10:22:09 AM »
"The Europeans haven't played the Ryder Cup on a links course for years. But they have done pretty well at The Belfry, Valderrama, K Club, Celtic Manor - very far from links courses. So why change a winning formula?"

Mark R. -

You are absolutely right. The Euros have hosted the Ryder Cup mostly on courses that are regular stops on the Euro Tour, courses their players know pretty well. I can't help but think that gives them an additional "home field" advantage.

DT 

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 10:49:23 AM »
The Europeans haven't played the Ryder Cup on a links course for years. But they have done pretty well at The Belfry, Valderrama, K Club, Celtic Manor - very far from links courses. So why change a winning formula?

They've done pretty well on American style courses in America too.  :-\

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 10:53:38 AM »
I do not think that Tom Watson should choose Tiger as a Captain's pick.

1. Tiger ranks 72nd in points
2. He has a below average Ryder Cup record in general
3. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the last time the US won, Tiger was not on the team....?

My picks:

Keegan Bradley
Webb Simpson

Sorry, Phil, time for new blood.

Niall C

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 12:51:13 PM »
I think the Americans will win irrespective of who his picks are but if it was me I would go for the youngsters. Got to think the older guys are suffering from battle fatigue having fought too many losing wars. The younger guys simply have no baggage or hang-ups.

Niall 

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 01:02:41 PM »
I tend to agree with the notion of picking a young gun, who is on the rise and no baggage... just inspired to be there.  But, I was also getting at the course design as a factor in the choice.  Does the course design have the stereotypic Nicklaus features that is said to favor the high fading ball shots?   Should course design factor into Wastson's picks?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Phil McDade

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 09:50:19 AM »
I do not think that Tom Watson should choose Tiger as a Captain's pick.

1. Tiger ranks 72nd in points
2. He has a below average Ryder Cup record in general
3. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the last time the US won, Tiger was not on the team....?

My picks:

Keegan Bradley
Webb Simpson

Sorry, Phil, time for new blood.

Ian:

The United States has won 1 Ryder Cup competition in which Tiger has played -- 1999 at Brookline, thanks to Justin Leonard's heroic putt.

The U.S. won in 2008 when Tiger was sidelined with an injury.

Always bet against the U.S. when Tiger plays in the Ryder Cup. ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back