News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

billb

Re: I'm Sick Of This Truncated Thread Title BS
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 11:26:47 PM »
Ron,
Just mouse over the title (or the couple of letters that pass for the title) and the first line and a half of the thread will pop up (at least it does on a Windows 7 system).

JLahrman

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 02:05:24 AM »
Ron,
Just mouse over the title (or the couple of letters that pass for the title) and the first line and a half of the thread will pop up (at least it does on a Windows 7 system).

It works on laptops, but not on other devices.

Regardless, the responsibility should be on the thread starter to make a coherent title that identifies the topic. Why should the reader need to mouse over the title to find out what the thread is about? Which is the main reason I never open any thread with a vague title, regardless of who started it. It's childish.

Steve Lang

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2014, 11:00:16 AM »
 8) You know someone may call you or can you a moron or something worse... its a digital world thing, like bits and pieces of bad spelling.. on purpose.

Digital burlesque those teasing titles or is it Freudian titties
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 08:20:04 PM »

Just doing my bit to extend this piffle to two pages. A mitzvah, if you will.  Or an act of non-corporal mercy.

Terry,

The whining is music to my ears.

As I mentioned, Ran must have dropped the IQ test when granting access to the site.

Now, the morons want me to spell out the entire jist of the thread for them in the title.

Is it out of laziness or their need to be cajoled into reading what follows ?

Is this the act of spoiled, abeit moronic brats ?

If truncated titles offend you, don't read the thread.

I'm off to conjure up more truncated threads, which I guess are better than truncated threads, absent any meaningful content. ;D

Brian Finn

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 08:44:15 PM »
As long as you remain committed to the brief thread titles, may I suggest a series of threads launched consecutively with the following titles:

Who
What
Where
Why
When
How
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2014, 08:48:31 PM »
I'd like to see a thread titled OT&A that discusses the challenges faced by the golf channel after the departure of Holly Sonders.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2014, 08:49:20 PM »
As long as you remain committed to the brief thread titles, may I suggest a series of threads launched consecutively with the following titles:

Who
What
Where
Why
When
How

He's already tried Is and It.  Why not? could be next.  Why not indeed?

Dean Stokes

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2014, 09:45:08 PM »
Post of the year by Mr. kavanaugh.........who would watch playing lessons with the pros without Holly  in a tennis outfit! Martha Burke must be screaming at the flat screen!
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2014, 09:55:43 PM »

Just doing my bit to extend this piffle to two pages. A mitzvah, if you will.  Or an act of non-corporal mercy.

Terry,

The whining is music to my ears.

As I mentioned, Ran must have dropped the IQ test when granting access to the site.

Now, the morons want me to spell out the entire jist of the thread for them in the title.

Is it out of laziness or their need to be cajoled into reading what follows ?

Is this the act of spoiled, abeit moronic brats ?

If truncated titles offend you, don't read the thread.

I'm off to conjure up more truncated threads, which I guess are better than truncated threads, absent any meaningful content. ;D

Patrick,

Jist is actually spelled "GIST".  ;D
Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2014, 10:33:52 PM »

Who
What
Where
Why
When
How

Brian,

I've already used some of those words.

I'm working on threads beginning with:

Can
Have
Will

I'll keep you posted.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2014, 10:37:24 PM »
Count me as one who would like to see people attempt to put something of a description of the thread in the title.

I don't think it is an unreasonable request.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2014, 10:51:24 PM »
We should consider ourselves lucky. When Pat starts a thread with a truncated title, we at least know that it'll be a question some of us can answer. It's when he actually spells out a full title that we're all in big trouble, since the question will invariably be one that only he can answer*, e.g. "Are Pine Valley, Seminole or Augusta National tougher tests in the prevailing wind"? "Are NGLA, Shinnicock and Sebonac sportier challenges after it rains"? Keep those 3 word titles coming, Pat - better for us and more fun for you!!

Peter

* Tom D and Tom Paul might also be able to answer, but Tom P isn't here anymore and Tom D is sly enough not to give Pat the satisfaction! :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:55:16 PM by PPallotta »

Greg Tallman

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2014, 10:52:17 PM »
Count me as one who enjoys the banter whilst trying not to hate Mucci, knowing deep down his intent is well placed and the occasional mean spirited green reply is more bait than bite.

John Kavanaugh

OT&A...
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2014, 10:53:24 PM »
Post of the year by Mr. kavanaugh.........who would watch playing lessons with the pros without Holly  in a tennis outfit! Martha Burke must be screaming at the flat screen!

She's gone.  Really, really gone. The good news is that Rymer may go back to competitive golf.  His vision is returning and that nasty duck hook from a right forearm being three times the size of normal is starting to atrophy. He will be hitting a high fade in days.

An interesting article about her impossible replacement:

http://www.bunkersparadise.com/who-is-going-to-replace-holly-sonders-on-the-golf-channel/

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2014, 10:59:00 PM »
What a week.  Hoover is laying off Dicks while the rest of us are turning off the Golf Channel. You have to pick your own fights.

astavrides

Re: I'm Sick Of This Truncated Thread Title BS New
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2014, 11:09:15 PM »
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 12:17:43 PM by astavrides »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2014, 11:25:23 PM »
Lauren Thompson and/or Paige Mackenzie work just as well imho.

Sorry but Lauren Thompson is out because she only came to golf to advance her career in broadcasting.  If you could never play you should write about golf, you got to have game to show your face.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2014, 11:35:13 PM »
Mackenzie seems like a nice girl but I'd rather lay the wood to Chamblee while wearing a red shirt on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Whatever it is she don't got it.

Jason Walker

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2014, 01:08:54 AM »
This thread went from truncated titles to Holly Sonders....All I can add is regardless of the title I read whatever Mr Mucci cares to add to the board, and Holly's investment appears to  have more than paid off....

BHoover

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2014, 07:02:37 AM »
What a week.  Hoover is laying off Dicks while the rest of us are turning off the Golf Channel. You have to pick your own fights.

Speaking of Holly leaving  :'(, does anyone know what happened to Win McMurry? She was my favorite but she has completely disappeared from GC. At least we know the reason for Holly's departure.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2014, 11:30:00 AM »
Count me as one who would like to see people attempt to put something of a description of the thread in the title.

Jeff,

First, you can't please everybody and in the ultimate, I'm interested in pleasing myself, first and foremost.
I'm not a big believer in consensus management or creativity.

Second, for those who are whining about the truncated titles, let them start their own interesting threads.
Let them initiate new threads with detailed titles that explain everything you need to know about the thread.
Not surprisingly, I've noticed a paucity of new and interesting threads that have been created by the whiners.

Third, if this is what some GCA.comer's complain about, they need to get a life.

As you know, "you can't judge a book by it's cover." ;D

William_G

« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2014, 11:48:55 AM »

Jeff,

First, you can't please everybody and in the ultimate, I'm interested in pleasing myself, first and foremost. (selfish to the core) :(
I'm not a big believer in consensus management or creativity. (very sad for you and everyone else)  :'(

what a bummer post
It's all about the golf!

Steve Burrows

« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2014, 11:52:49 AM »

Jeff,

First, you can't please everybody and in the ultimate, I'm interested in pleasing myself, first and foremost. (selfish to the core) :(
I'm not a big believer in consensus management or creativity. (very sad for you and everyone else)  :'(

what a bummer post
+ 1

Mucci has further cemented his place as this website's Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
...to admit my mistakes most frankly, or to say simply what I believe to be necessary for the defense of what I have written, without introducing the explanation of any new matter so as to avoid engaging myself in endless discussion from one topic to another.     
               -Rene Descartes

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2014, 12:01:38 PM »
When I was in middle school I remember getting pissed because E. E. Cummings got famous for not using capital letters.  After recently reviewing his work I am relieved to realize that I never actually studied the content.  If I had it may have scarred me.

Mucci has a signature style that has little to do with the value of its content.  After all these years it is rare for any of us to write something surprising.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2014, 12:24:58 PM »
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 12:26:44 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back