News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rich Goodale

Re: What's the NEXT course in England that could host the Open?
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2014, 04:32:10 PM »
Hopefully Scotland will vote for Independence and from 2015 there will be no Opens outside of the home of golf.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2014, 04:36:47 PM »
Interesting to get Adrian's response. He lives and works in an area that could provide a solution to our search for a new Open venue. watch this space!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2014, 04:45:24 PM »
Tom, the Dowie was changed quite a long time ago. There was no OB on the hole for the 1967 Open, and Cameron Sinclair later rebuilt the green.

I wrote a piece on the history of the hole a few years ago. http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/Article/The-dumbing-down-of-Dowie/2088/Default.aspx#.U8rhu2K9KSM

You are correct that the Royal green was moved before the 2006 Open. With the green hard against the boundary fence spectators would have been unable easily to access the 18th/2nd hole.
Adam:

I played the Dowie in 1982 and 1985.  It hasn't been gone that long.  However, I didn't realize that they failed to honor the boundary for the Open in 1967.

You are right, Tom.  I first played the Dowie in 1981 and it was hard OB left.  Next time I played it was BUDA 2006 and our most beloved golfer hooked his tee shot onto the next tee.  Ran pitched from there to the green, sunk the putt and then cried like a baby at the insanity of it all....

Rich

Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2014, 07:20:32 PM »
Rich of course if Scotland votes for independence and the R&A vote to exclude women, they'll be no Opens at St Andrews so Scotland can be pleased to take a stance!
Cave Nil Vino

Rich Goodale

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2014, 05:06:41 AM »
I don't worry, Mark.  If your Yes/No scenario happens, Wee Eck will declare St. Andrews as the capital of the People's Republic of Scotland and expropriate the R&A clubhouse for his official residence.  There will be Opens every 2-3 years or so on the Old Course.  It will be golfing nirvana.
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2014, 08:21:35 AM »
Rich of course if Scotland votes for independence and the R&A vote to exclude women, they'll be no Opens at St Andrews so Scotland can be pleased to take a stance!

That would be a dream result. Sign me up for the Wha Hae Woman Haters Party!
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2014, 11:23:43 AM »
Slightly off the original topic, but as I'm planning my first trip to England fr next year, here is my tick list of must-plays in England.  Did I leave out anything essential?  I mean really essential - like it would be a big miss to leave it off the list?  IS anything on here to marginal to be on the list.

Reddish Vale         Royal St. Georges
Wallasey            Royal Cinque Port (Deal)
Royal Lytham*         Princes
Royal Birkdale*         Littlestone
Alwoody            Walton Heath
Moortown            Sunningdale (Old)
Swinley Forest         Huntercombe
St. Enodoc

The trip next year will either be all Southeast/Kent + St. Enodoc or it will be half Kent and half Birkdale and something close to Birkdale.  Shout out any "proposed itineraries" and get the kettle on the boil and hide the PG Tips, I prefer Harney and Sons:):)  And yes, strawberries and cream for breakfast every morning:)

It will be a working gig as I'll be writing up the whole trip, still I really look forward to meeting my GCA.com friends from across the pond in person, (as well as hanging with the English writers and broadcasters!). 
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2014, 11:35:48 AM »
Jay, for my taste Ganton comes before Moortown, Formby ought to be on the NW itinerary, Silloth is a long way from anywhere, but worth the lengthy journey and I'd suggest Royal West Norfolk if only it weren't so far away, but you might manage to throw in Royal Worlington - exquisite.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2014, 05:16:49 PM »
So two questions guys:

1.  Of the courses I listed on my tick list above, which ones are closest to Royal Birkdale so as to be convenient to play both Birkdale and something nearby?

2.  Why is everyone that's been kind enough to reach out to me been so luke-warm about Royal Lytham?
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Bill_McBride

« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2014, 08:16:55 AM »
So two questions guys:

1.  Of the courses I listed on my tick list above, which ones are closest to Royal Birkdale so as to be convenient to play both Birkdale and something nearby?

2.  Why is everyone that's been kind enough to reach out to me been so luke-warm about Royal Lytham?

You've overlooked Rye.  Not a good idea.  The second course there, the Jubilee, is a lot of fun too. 

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2014, 09:19:53 AM »
Jay - Unless you want to play all 5 then choose Rye over Princes and/or Littlestone.

Remember full days at a club are far better value than 18 on a top course and moving to another top course in the afternoon.

Don't miss Sunningdale New it's extremely good.

It's fashionable here not to like Lytham or Woodhall Spa, personally I'd play either over a couple on your list.
Cave Nil Vino

Jay Flemma

« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2014, 01:00:30 PM »
Oh Lytham is on the list, Mark.  Don't worry about that.   ;D

Rye is home to the President's Putter!  My friend John Hopkins wrote a great article about that tournament.

Incidentally, John's new book is quite good...

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2014, 03:16:12 PM »
I'm planning my first trip to England fr next year, here is my tick list of must-plays in England.  Did I leave out anything essential?  I mean really essential - like it would be a big miss to leave it off the list?  IS anything on here to marginal to be on the list.

St. Enodoc

The trip next year will either be all Southeast/Kent + St. Enodoc or it will be half Kent and half Birkdale and something close to Birkdale.  Shout out any "proposed itineraries" and get the kettle on the boil and hide the PG Tips, I prefer Harney and Sons:):)  And yes, strawberries and cream for breakfast every morning:)

It will be a working gig as I'll be writing up the whole trip, still I really look forward to meeting my GCA.com friends from across the pond in person, (as well as hanging with the English writers and broadcasters!).  

Jay,

Delighted to see Reddish Vale topping your list of "must -plays"!  :D

I would be delighted for you to join me as my guest whenever suits your schedule. We are less than an hour from Birkdale, Lytham, and Wallasey so combining RV with a top links course in the same day is a cinch.

Manchester International Airport is an increasingly popular gateway for transatlantic visitors and is only 15 minutes from the course. Best of all, top golf writer and GCAer Mark Rowlinson lives down the road and will surely be enticed out for a round!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2014, 04:51:49 PM »
Tom Watson is promoting Royal Porthcawl to the R&A for The Open Championship. Says it is tougher than Liverpool where he just finished 51st (was it?).
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Thomas Dai

« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2014, 04:58:32 PM »
Tom Watson is promoting Royal Porthcawl to the R&A for The Open Championship. Says it is tougher than Liverpool where he just finished 51st (was it?).
I've heard he's been promoting Royal Aberdeen to the R&A for The Open for quite a while too.
Atb

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2014, 04:58:40 PM »
Slightly off the original topic, but as I'm planning my first trip to England fr next year, here is my tick list of must-plays in England.  Did I leave out anything essential?  I mean really essential - like it would be a big miss to leave it off the list?  IS anything on here to marginal to be on the list.

St. Enodoc

The trip next year will either be all Southeast/Kent + St. Enodoc or it will be half Kent and half Birkdale and something close to Birkdale.  Shout out any "proposed itineraries" and get the kettle on the boil and hide the PG Tips, I prefer Harney and Sons:):)  And yes, strawberries and cream for breakfast every morning:)

Jay, St Enodoc is a long way from any of the other courses you listed.  If you do go there, you will be near to Westward Ho!, Saunton, and Burnham and Borrow.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark Pearce

« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2014, 04:40:56 PM »
Serious question this, as I've never played the course, would Seaton Carew be a possible Open venue? Plenty of audience in the north east? Or isn't the course quite up to what the R&A would want, or would someone argue its too close to Muirfield?

Cheers,

James

I thought that James but then with Hartlepool as the back drop ::) Still, good course with summer and winter versions.
It isn't Hartlepool that's the problem with the view.  It's looking the other way, down to Seal Sands and the chemical plants.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2014, 04:48:11 PM »
Serious question this, as I've never played the course, would Seaton Carew be a possible Open venue? Plenty of audience in the north east? Or isn't the course quite up to what the R&A would want, or would someone argue its too close to Muirfield?

Cheers,

James

I thought that James but then with Hartlepool as the back drop ::) Still, good course with summer and winter versions.
It isn't Hartlepool that's the problem with the view.  It's looking the other way, down to Seal Sands and the chemical plants.

Not all of can play good golf with thebackdrop of a monkey on a gibbet, Mark!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2014, 05:15:09 PM »

Cheers,

James

Mark,

you have clearly never had to overnight in Hartlepool. At least the chemical plant is well lit and has security on a night ;)

Jay,

I am always surprised about the low regard many people have for Lytham. IMO it is a a very good course with a cracking back nine and one of the iconic finishing holes. Of course it does lack not having a caravan park on its boundary and therefore can not be considered a true links ;D

Jon

Sean_A

« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2014, 07:14:24 PM »
Jon

I will tell my issue with Lytham.  Sand, sand everywhere.  I am supsicious about courses which need 100 bunkers.  I am dismissive of courses which need 200 bunkers.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jay Flemma

« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2014, 01:55:25 AM »
So 2 questions:

If I had time to play 1 course near birkdale which should it be?

Which is more convenient for a day trip from London by train? Birkdale or Lytham?

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2014, 02:08:41 AM »
Early train to Manchester. I pick you up and we play Reddish Vale. My treat.

We drive to Southport and play Birkdale. Your treat.  ;D

I drop you back in Manchester for London train.

Simple... ;)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 02:10:18 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Jay Flemma

« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2014, 02:30:14 AM »
That sounds like fun actually:). You know what I have to do...come when one of my rock band clients is playing Manchester...

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2014, 03:01:18 AM »
You're on!

I also blow a mean harp if your boys need a helping hand...

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 03:48:03 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Jay Flemma

« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2014, 10:32:05 AM »
Now besides Reddish, what else is close to Birkdale?  Which is closer to the rail - Birkdale or Lytham?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back